Fitbits - waste or worth it?

Replies

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    I've had a Fitbit for over 3 years now. My natural state is to be lazy, so it helps motivate me to get up and move more. A lot of my family and friends have one, so we get to encourage each other to get more steps. Definitely worth it for me!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    There were issues with the Charge HR which is why they released the Charge2.

I have had a Flex and upgraded to the Charge2. I made it a point to educate myself on how to use both devices and I've found them very useful and motivating.

My activity level has skyrocketed because I'm pretty competitive with myself (with other people, I'm not competitive at all), always wanting to set a new goal to do better than I have done in the past. Having data from Fitbit to do this has been really useful.

I have MFP set up in such a way as to entirely rely on data from Fitbit when I create my daily calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Depends on whether or not you want/need that data.
  • mmmmaidservice
    mmmmaidservice Posts: 85 Member
    This is all very good info. I can see some cons for sure but most are pros. Think I'll try one. I love the idea of challenging myself and I didn't even know about challenge groups! Love it!
  • atlantafiend
    atlantafiend Posts: 3 Member
    I have the fitbit one. I used to have the flex, but I developed a nasty rash around my wrist because of it. I like it. It keeps me motivated and active.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Bought a Blaze as a reward for losing the first few pounds. If it helps motivate me to walk a bit more ,it will be worth it.
    Like it so far, hate the band but ordered a replacement. The jury is still out on the final determination on the Fitbit.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I bought my charge HR 15 months ago and haven't had any issues with it. I love it. It keeps me motivated to keep moving to get my 10k steps in every day.

I do wish it were a bit smaller, it's pretty bulky on my wrist, the Jawbone was prettier, but a piece of junk.

I'm not sure I care about monitoring my heart rate since I rarely look at my heart rate, so I might downgrade when this one bites the dust.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    LOVE my Charge 2. Had it for over two months and wear it all the time. Someone else said this and I agree that I love it's an activity tracker. It gets me up and moving more through the day. I track my water, my workouts, my steps (which for me are fairly accurate), my HR, and even my sleep is fairly accurate as well. I really like the app and seeing all green at the top when I hit all my daily goals. I read all the reviews and had some doubts, but for me, this is one of the best purchases I've made in a while. Oh, and I love the interchangeable bands to switch up my style!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited February 2017
    Not sure where your husband got his reviews from, because they are really popular and get 4.5* reviews on amazon and argos. If you're not the kind of person that likes those kind of stats on yourself then you won't like it, but most people I know have been really satisfied and found them to be really helpful. I have a flex. It's great! I do a lot of walking and it makes it really convenient tracking my activity levels and syncing up with myfitnesspal. I like the sleep tracking as well. It really helps me take care of myself.

ETA: at some point this year I want to upgrade to a Charge HR 2. I'd like the heart rate monitor, watch, and smartwatch capabilities.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member

I own my own business which is a housecleaning business (would love a Fitbit that counted stairs). But out of curiosity...how can an employer ban them? That's terrible!
    [/quote]

Hi, I also run my own cleaning business! I have a charge Hr and that does count the number of flights of stairs you climb per day. (its doesn't give you more calories if you're carrying a vacuum unfortunately!)

• butcher206
    butcher206 Posts: 61 Member
    The whole entire reason I bought a Charge 2 was because I wasn't gaining any weight, so I wanted more accurate estimates to how many calories I was burning, and it supposedly was able to sync with MyFitnessPal automatically and update your daily calories. it's been nothing but sync'ing issues with myfitnesspal ever since. For some reason on the Fitbit dashboard you can't just see how many calories you've burned from exercise, it just gives you this vague "calories burned" for the whole entire day that includes your BMR; so I'm right back to square one, just kind of guesstimating how many calories I've burned through these vague myfitnesspal exercise entries. I don't know; it's basically a waste. I think MyFitnessPal purposely gives them poor support to push people towards their underarmour wristband
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I've had mine for over a year, and LOVE it. Everyone is different depending on what they want to get out of it....I have lost the weight, increased my activity level from sedentary to Active....and where I used to only get 4-5 hours of sleep per nite, I now average 7-8. I love seeing the trends, and understanding why and when changes happen allow me to make more changes, and improve on myself daily.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,701 MFP Moderator
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    ...unfortunately the place where I work just banned them...

Why would they ban fitness trackers? They help motivate people to move more, which should mean healthier employees! :)

I have mostly used the Zip. It's basically an upgraded step counter but it works for me. I keep it in my pocket instead of clipping most of the time, just because the clip case wears out. The battery lasts for about 5 months, which is great because I never need to think about charging.

I did try the bracelet-style flex, but as I use my hands a lot for work and around the house, I felt it really over-estimated burns. I didn't think it was as accurate as the Zip when I compared my weight loss to the numbers it gave. I have a lot of friends that wear the bracelet-styles, and when they talk with their hands, the bracelet is always blinking like mad.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have had a some model of a Fitbit since 2012. As you can see from my profile pic, I'm addicted. I currently have the Blaze and love all the extra features it offers. It can be addictive. It is also great if you have a group of friends on their site that will challenge you. Also, you can't beat their customer service. I have had them send me an absolutely new one when something has gone wrong with the one I have, no questions asked.
  • kindrabbit
    butcher206 wrote: »
    The whole entire reason I bought a Charge 2 was because I wasn't gaining any weight, so I wanted more accurate estimates to how many calories I was burning, and it supposedly was able to sync with MyFitnessPal automatically and update your daily calories. it's been nothing but sync'ing issues with myfitnesspal ever since. For some reason on the Fitbit dashboard you can't just see how many calories you've burned from exercise, it just gives you this vague "calories burned" for the whole entire day that includes your BMR; so I'm right back to square one, just kind of guesstimating how many calories I've burned through these vague myfitnesspal exercise entries. I don't know; it's basically a waste. I think MyFitnessPal purposely gives them poor support to push people towards their underarmour wristband

Calories for the whole day was exactly what I was looking for so it suits me perfectly. I know that if I burn 2000 in a day and eat 1750 I am eating at my desired deficit.

I do also set it to start and stop when I exercise so I can see that, for example, I burn 480 calories in an hour in my circuit class.
  • lobsterthang999
    lobsterthang999 Posts: 5 Member
    I have just ordered a charge 2 from very on interest free, I took out the additional 3 years insurance premium after reading the reviews and figured it probably wont last the three years any way and ill probably end up with a free replacement. Have bought similar policies in the past and they are great you always end up with a better model than you first bought. If your having doubts like I was then at least this way you are covered if the product breaks, co-incidentally the insurance covers accidental damage which is what swayed me to purchase it. Im still waiting for it to arrive as only ordered yesterday but its already motivated me and its not here yet!
  • kindrabbit
    Just to let you know, I had my 1st fitbit for over a year before the casing started to fail around the charge port. I emailed fitbit and they replied the same day. They offered me a free replacement or a discount on the latest model. I chose the free replacement which arrived in about 3 days from the initial email. I was really impressed with the customer service.