New to the group calorie help

I have been on and off the gym for a few years now and have recently taken it back up and everything is going great I am in good shape for 13 stone with me being 6ft age 22 i train hard but have realised that eating is my biggest problem and have started to learn about nutrition and have a couple questions if anyone can help
1. Are all carbs good (as in what if they are mostly saturated ) for example for breakfast I made massive plate of oats and added in 100ml of low fat honey which contained 82g carbs but like 79g was saturated would that still count towards my macros ?

2. I ate a lot to try and meet my Macros the other day was 30g protein away from goal made my carbs ( back to the 1st question) and 20g away from fat but yet was still 1000 calories away from my goal my diet was protibix oats pasta and chicken what would I do in that situation to give me more calories without going over my carbs fat etc

Replies

• JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    What's your cal goal for the day?
  • nunezj01
    nunezj01 Posts: 13 Member
    1. Are you asking if the honey you put in your oats be processed as carbs? if so yes it will, your body will not recognize a difference, your blood sugar will just spike and in turn hold onto fat. I'm not saying honey is bad but moderation is key.
    2. What your goal is if it's lose weight then don't bust your overall calories if it's gain weight then don't really worry about it. That is my opinion, hopefully that helps.
  • rfuray
    rfuray Posts: 11 Member
    JB035 wrote: »
    What's your cal goal for the day?
    3400 for a bulk
  • rfuray
    nunezj01 wrote: »
    1. Are you asking if the honey you put in your oats be processed as carbs? if so yes it will, your body will not recognize a difference, your blood sugar will just spike and in turn hold onto fat. I'm not saying honey is bad but moderation is key.
    2. What your goal is if it's lose weight then don't bust your overall calories if it's gain weight then don't really worry about it. That is my opinion, hopefully that helps.

Yeah that does really help , my goal is to bulk but during a bulk does all the weight go to your belly ?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I have never heard of saturated vs. unsaturated carbs. Do you mean simple sugar vs. complex carbohydrates?
    Honey doesn't have fat in it. Therefore, all honey is "low-fat."
  • rfuray
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I have never heard of saturated vs. unsaturated carbs. Do you mean simple sugar vs. complex carbohydrates?
    I just mean it tells you how many Grams of carbs are in something then it says 'oh which is saturated'
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited February 2017
    rfuray wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I just mean it tells you how many Grams of carbs are in something then it says 'oh which is saturated'

You're thinking of fat. Saturated fat exists. Saturated carbs do not.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Not exactly true. When you eat carbohydrates (which sugar is a subset of), your body will break them down to glucose. As a results, your pancreas will release insulin as a means to shuttle the nutrients in your cells. As a results, your body will inhibit lipolysis (the breakdown of fat). But even if you didn't eat carbs, your body will still inhibit lipolysis as dietary fat releases the enzyme acylation stimulating protein, which inhibits the enzyme hormone sensitive lipase. So either way, your body is breaking down and storing nutrients regardless of what you are eating. And there are actually a few other hormones/enzymes that come into play as well.

It should also be noted that carbs are very beneficial when trying to build muscle, even if you are working to cut body fat. Carbs are anticatabolic which helps prevent protein degredation (breakdown of proteins). Resistance training and protein (particularly the amino acid leucine) stimulate muscle protein synthesis and actives mTOR which supports muscle growth.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    1. Are you asking if the honey you put in your oats be processed as carbs? if so yes it will, your body will not recognize a difference, your blood sugar will just spike and in turn hold onto fat.

This is not true. Spikes in blood sugar do NOT make you hold on to fat.
  • rfuray
    Yeah sorry I was meaning carbs - which is sugars not saturated , thanks for the help everyone the community is very active and I'm just new to the group
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Everything you eat adds to your Macros if you blow them all on honey and other stuff and never get in your carbs, protein and fats you are will not see the results you want.

You need a plan. Period.