Starting strength training?

I recently joined a new gym and I would like to start doing some toning/weight exercises. I'm confident using the cardio machines, but I'd like to tone by bingo wings and belly.

Can anyone direct me to a simple plan, which I can start this with? I'm think machines might be the best place to start.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    First, you need to lose fat to lose the belly and wings. Also, what are your stats?

And: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I would probably look into aworkoutroutines beginner program. It's a dumbbell routine and is going to be more ideal and engage more muscles than using machines. Machines can help with some isometric moves, but your program shouldn't be focused around them.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    First, you need to lose fat to lose the belly and wings. Also, what are your stats?

And: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I would probably look into aworkoutroutines beginner program. It's a dumbbell routine and is going to be more ideal and engage more muscles than using machines. Machines can help with some isometric moves, but your program shouldn't be focused around them.

Interesting! Would you say the program you mention is better than strong lifts? As I've just started SL but,as I'm doing it at home with no rack ,I've had to adapt some of the moves so I can do them with dumbbells. I do the deadlift with a barbell but don't feel safe using it with the other moves without a rack .
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Interesting! Would you say the program you mention is better than strong lifts? As I've just started SL but,as I'm doing it at home with no rack ,I've had to adapt some of the moves so I can do them with dumbbells. I do the deadlift with a barbell but don't feel safe using it with the other moves without a rack .

From an efficacy standpoint, barbell > dumbbell IMO because adding weight without grip limitations will occur at a faster rates for your big lifts. I feel dumbbells have their place (those that do not have the equipment) and for accessory lifts that work smaller muscles. My program utilizes both.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member

From an efficacy standpoint, barbell > dumbbell IMO because adding weight without grip limitations will occur at a faster rates for your big lifts. I feel dumbbells have their place (those that do not have the equipment) and for accessory lifts that work smaller muscles. My program utilizes both.

OK,thank you. I'm thinking I probably will need to invest in a rack at some point!
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    I did StrongLifts for a year, at home with a cheap rack & bench & some garage sale weights. Results were surprisingly good.