Motivation to get up earlier and exercise!

Options
I am on a healthy road right now. About a year ago a friend guided me into opening my eyes on how all the piece of the puzzle are fitting together for me. My next step that I want to put into my regime in exercise! How do I motivate myself to get up and moving for 30 minutes before I go to work? No bashing.....just good words please......

Replies

• risberg96
    risberg96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started doing 25 min of early morning (before work) cardio on days that I do strength training/intervals in the evening. One of my trainers suggested that doing the early morning "zones 1 and 2" will help get my metabolism going for the entire day and will burn the most fat. The science of it motivates me. And also being told I should meet my 10,000 steps goal in addition to my workout. I get up at 4:40am three times a week and it was tough at first but now I'm getting used to it. Hope that helps a bit!! Good luck.
  • sheila6999
    sheila6999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you all gym workout or at home?
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    sheila6999 wrote: »
    Do you all gym workout or at home?

I workout at home ....I lift weights M W F ....I do zumba or some other dvd Tu and Thurs. and I run either one day on the weekend or both
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I workout at home.

I'm up at 4, in work at 7am, home at 6.45 pm, and have to work out after I get home because there's other people in the house so early morning is out. So as you can imagine I'm rarely emotionally motivated/feeling passionate when about to exercise. I almost always feel like not doing it, but just do it because it's my duty for the day. And I'm much happier for it.
  • jroy1999
    jroy1999 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What time do you all get to bed to get up before 5am? If you get the recommended 7-8 hours, that would be around 8-9pm.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I had this same issue. And I was mad that I could not get up and do it. But I could do it, I just didn't want to bad enough. So I made a recording of myself the night before PROMISING MYSELF I WAS GOING TO GO TO THE GYM...and I said stuff like, I'm not going to let myself down, watch me crush this goal - blah blah blah, to hype myself up. After the recording. I packed my lunch, packed my work clothes in my gym bag and laid out my workout clothes for the next morning. I set my alarm, looked at my recording again, and made it to the gym! It was not hard at all. It was making the decision to go, was what was hard. But, you really do what the mind tells you to. SO MAKE UP YOUR MIND, PUT THINGS IN PLACE, AND CRUSH YOUR GOAL, AND SURPRISE YOURSELF!!! Oh, and I documented it and put it on instagram, because I was so proud of myself. You can do it!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you do something fun and enjoyable, you won't need to trick yourself into feeling motivated. Ride a bike. Swim. Play a sport. Etc.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jroy1999 wrote: »
    What time do you all get to bed to get up before 5am? If you get the recommended 7-8 hours, that would be around 8-9pm.

Yup. In bed by 9, asleep before 10 and up at 5. I have a treadmill at home so ~ 40 mins 5-6 days a week and lift weights a couple of evenings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I primarily ride in the AM during the summer as the alternative is to ride in the heat of the day. I'm not particularly a morning person...really it just comes down to being disciplined...alarm goes off, I get up and gear up. Once I'm on my bike, all is right with the world...and honestly, there's nothing more wonderful than seeing the dawn of a new day from a bicycle...not to mention that crisp new day air.

I'm usually up at 5 and on my bike by 5:15.
    jroy1999 wrote: »

Actually that would be 9-10 PM...I'm usually in bed around 9:30. Even when I'm not training I have to be up by 5:30 to get ready for work, get the kids ready for school, etc...so 30 minutes earlier isn't a huge deal. The bigger issue for me is that when I'm not training in the AM, I just get up and get some coffee and putter around the house getting ready, not trying to kill an interval ride.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the evening instead.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the evening instead.
  • HeatherLeAnn622
    HeatherLeAnn622 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am in bed by 10 to get up at 5 for my workout. The thing that helps me the most is to have all my workout clothes laid out ready to go so all I have to do is jump out of bed and into the clothes.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Ditto to this.
    I am in bed by 10 to get up at 5 for my workout. The thing that helps me the most is to have all my workout clothes laid out ready to go so all I have to do is jump out of bed and into the clothes.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not enough detail. What is your current day like?

Personally I've tried and this just does not work for me. I get up at 5:30am, take care of the dogs, get ready for work. I walk @ lunch and I walk and/or run in the evenings. My kids are older (high school & college) so its easier for me to free up time in the evenings.

When the weather is nice early in the morning, I can manage to leave for work about 30 minutes earlier and walk at a park near work. But at this time of year it is too dark/dreary to do that safely.
    sheila6999 wrote: »
    I am on a healthy road right now. About a year ago a friend guided me into opening my eyes on how all the piece of the puzzle are fitting together for me. My next step that I want to put into my regime in exercise! How do I motivate myself to get up and moving for 30 minutes before I go to work? No bashing.....just good words please......

• BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You have to decide you want to do it... I have a hard time getting mine in but I always feel better afterwards and thats why I do it daily.. I only take Sundays off to give my body rest.. Other than that it's all or nothing..
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    - Join the 4a.m. Club
    - Workout doesn't get derailed by work, family, laziness
    - Burn more calories throughout the day
    - Go to sleep early
    - No later night munchies because YOU'RE ASLEEP!!!
    -
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself "Why do you want to get up early and exercise?" The answer to THAT is your motivation. It all depends on how badly you want it.