Natural sugars found in fruit

Replies

• LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    To Echo above, sugar is sugar is sugar, your body does not care what the source is. Having said that, as long as you're keeping your intake around or under 50g/day, where it comes from doesn't really matter. If you're over that, you're probably derailing your weight loss because you're eating too many calories.

Personally, I am one of those "sugar is the devil" people. This is because sugar, in all of its forms, including bread, wheat products, corn, and potatoes, makes me feel like absolute $h!t. When I cut it out of my diet, it was a whole new world. I don't eat Apples (or bananas, or mangoes) because the pop and crash I get afterward is no different than what I get from a small coke or a candy bar. However, if this doesn't happen to you, there's no reason to be that extreme.

If you're thinking about cutting sugar, start with the low hanging fruit (hah! puns) first. Obviously candy, cookies, cakes, etc should be the first to go. Then look for all the weird crappy places its hiding (look for sugar, cane sugar and HFCS, its all the same)- juice, pasta sauce, jelly, canned goods, pretty much anything processed. Most people can cut all of the unnecessary sugar in their lives out by doing that, then you may eat all the apples you desire!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    xnxnxn wrote: »
    Hi all

I’m very confused with the natural sugars found in fruit/veg. For years we’ve been led to believe that eating fruit is good for you and should be included in your daily diet. So far so good, yet as we know fruit contains natural sugar which really hits into your daily sugar limit. So the question is, do we reverse years of thinking that fruit is a good source of fibre etc and severely cut back in our daily allowance, or do we go with other thinking that purports natural sugars in fruit should not be taken into your daily calorie/sugar/nutrition analysis and that it's the dreaded added sugar/unrefined sugar that we really need to be concerned about? My thinking is that we need to be concerned about the fruit intake too.

Yesterday saw me in the ridiculous situation of wanting to include an apple in my daily diet to find it contained 28g of sugar (yes, a large apple!) and then had to automatically drop it from my intended meal. Likewise with bananas. I find I hardly eat those now too for the same reason so, on the one hand I’m being very good with my recording of fruit/food and losing weight but feel very concerned that I’m dropping my usual fruit intake which I thought was meant to be good for me and included in my daily allowance?

Any views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Lorraine

Option 3: we accept that there is nothing unhealthy about sugar ("refined" or not) for non-diabetics.
    Thus, our wonderful, healthy fruits can have sugar and still be good for us. Also, we can have treats with added sugars and still maintain a healthy diet.

Overeating is the problem, not sugar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited February 2017
    I swapped out Sugar and Sodium for Fiber and Iron. I'm not worried about the sugar in fruit. I did find it helpful to reduce baked goods.

I actually lost weight too quickly when I was in Costa Rica for 6 weeks and had a diet very high in fruit.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    I don't even follow sugar. I check up every so often on how badly I've failed to meet my protein goal and whether it's carbs or fat that have usurped it this week, but sugar I ignore. The worst it can do is make me hungry, and I can tell that without checking numbers.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    EAT THEM AAAAALL!!! As a vegan who eats 80% fruit, (and mostly the high sugar content ones) I can promise you beyond the shadow of a doubt that fructose will not make you gain wait. When a natural sugar is consumed, our bodies convert it to glucose which is basically our main source of energy!
    I think the reason we are told to keep our sugar levels low, is because if people that are getting sugar from sodas, chocolates, and refined foods, they will think it's okay to eat a lot of it. But I'm fairly certain that your body will much more appreciate the multiple nutrients and vitamins from a fruit , as opposed to candy. Hope this helps in some way!

NO. Consumption of any combination of foods (including fruit) providing more calories than your body is using will cause weight gain.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited February 2017
    EAT THEM AAAAALL!!! As a vegan who eats 80% fruit, (and mostly the high sugar content ones) I can promise you beyond the shadow of a doubt that fructose will not make you gain wait. When a natural sugar is consumed, our bodies convert it to glucose which is basically our main source of energy!
    I think the reason we are told to keep our sugar levels low, is because if people that are getting sugar from sodas, chocolates, and refined foods, they will think it's okay to eat a lot of it. But I'm fairly certain that your body will much more appreciate the multiple nutrients and vitamins from a fruit , as opposed to candy. Hope this helps in some way!

What?

Can't believe I missed this one.

Of course fructose is converted to glucose. So is sucrose, maltose, dextrose, lactose, and starches. All carbs are converted to glucose in the blood. And yes, glucose is our main source of energy, and it is an excess of energy that causes fat storage.

Seriously, what did you think caused it? Did you think energy and fat storage were two completely unconnected things?!?
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    I just went to a chiropractor's lecture and he said not to eat bananas, pineapple and grapes. Those are the 3 fruits I mainly eat. I believe he feels those fruits are too high in sugar.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    As with most things, sugar in and of itself isn't the issue. The problem is the balance of sugar with other things. Bananas, for example, are like this miracle food. They are packed with all kinds of stuff that is good for you and they come in their own little package. They are roughly 100 calories. If you are on a 1500 calorie diet, it would take 15 bananas to reach it, if all you ate was bananas. It is unlikely that you could reach your calorie goal for the day because the bulk of the banana would prevent it. The same goes for apples. The sugar, in this case, makes the fruit desirable to eat and it help provides energy for your body, but the other stuff in the fruit works toward keeping your diet in check. This is very different from what you have when you are eating something made with refined sugar. The sugar still provides energy but there is little to keep you from eating too much of it.

depends on the size of the banana and how much it weighs lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    I just went to a chiropractor's lecture and he said not to eat bananas, pineapple and grapes. Those are the 3 fruits I mainly eat. I believe he feels those fruits are too high in sugar.

hes an idiot. I eat those foods and have no issues at all
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    LPflaum wrote: »
    To Echo above, sugar is sugar is sugar, your body does not care what the source is. Having said that, as long as you're keeping your intake around or under 50g/day, where it comes from doesn't really matter. If you're over that, you're probably derailing your weight loss because you're eating too many calories.

Personally, I am one of those "sugar is the devil" people. This is because sugar, in all of its forms, including bread, wheat products, corn, and potatoes, makes me feel like absolute $h!t. When I cut it out of my diet, it was a whole new world. I don't eat Apples (or bananas, or mangoes) because the pop and crash I get afterward is no different than what I get from a small coke or a candy bar. However, if this doesn't happen to you, there's no reason to be that extreme.

If you're thinking about cutting sugar, start with the low hanging fruit (hah! puns) first. Obviously candy, cookies, cakes, etc should be the first to go. Then look for all the weird crappy places its hiding (look for sugar, cane sugar and HFCS, its all the same)- juice, pasta sauce, jelly, canned goods, pretty much anything processed. Most people can cut all of the unnecessary sugar in their lives out by doing that, then you may eat all the apples you desire!

not true. as long as it fits into your calories you wont derail weight loss.there are times I would eat more than 50g of sugar. I still lost weight.it depends on if it puts you over maintenance calories or not
  • Packerjohn

I'm pretty sure the chiro doesn't have RD (Registered Dietitian) behind their last name. Therefore, he/she has no right to hold themselves out as an expert on nutrition advice.

This is the kind of *kitten* that gives chiros a bad name.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    On a side note I've never heard of synthetic sugar in fruits....................

Sugar is sugar. If you're supposed to limit it (say high blood sugar issues), then it doesn't matter if it's natural or not. If it's not a big deal, then you figure out how you can fit it into your daily calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Here's why I avoid processed sugars like the plague:

Orange:
    8dvbkucndqml.jpg

White Table Sugar:
    9g3actr2ugih.jpg

Corn syrup and brown sugar are only slightly above zero with trace levels of a handful of nutrients. Molasses, maple syrup, honey have relatively good levels of a few minerals.

Looks like a pretty compelling argument to me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Took the words right out of my mouth (off my keyboard?).

Ignore your chiro's advice on nutrition.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

Took the words right out of my mouth (off my keyboard?).

Ignore your chiro's advice on nutrition.

lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    When I first started losing, I found that I was going waaaaay over the MFP default sugar goal every single day, when the only added sugar I consumed was a bit of concentrated fruit juice in my daily 30-calorie single tablespoon of all-fruit spread (and it wasn't even the first/biggest ingredient in the fruit spread!). The rest of the sugar was from 2-3 servings of whole fruit, and from the sugars inherent in "no sugar added" dairy products.

Solution? Change my MFP diary settings to stop tracking sugar, and track fiber instead. End of problem. ;)

I wouldn't recommend this to someone who's diabetic, pre-diabetic, insulin-resistant, etc. But absent such medical problems, it works pretty well. ;)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Sugar isn't just sugar, it's all forms of carbs. Carb = sugar. So you might think you're not eating sugar, but if you're having a big bowl of pasta or a sandwich you're eating sugar. Same with the fruit. People do a lot better without sugar. Less hunger, less inflammation, less likely to develop diabetes, easier to control weight.

On fruit - it shouldn't be part of your every day diet. Fruit is nature's candy, and should be an occasional treat if you eat it at all.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Sugar isn't just sugar, it's all forms of carbs. Carb = sugar. So you might think you're not eating sugar, but if you're having a big bowl of pasta or a sandwich you're eating sugar. Same with the fruit. People do a lot better without sugar. Less hunger, less inflammation, less likely to develop diabetes, easier to control weight.

On fruit - it shouldn't be part of your every day diet. Fruit is nature's candy, and should be an occasional treat if you eat it at all.

No, when mfp tracks sugar, it tracks sugar, not other carbs. Sugar is a carb, but not all carbs are sugar. They're related, and they all metabolise to glucose, but they're not the same thing. Heck, alcohol metabolises to glucose and I think we can all agree it's a different thing from sugar.
  • Packerjohn

Actually this is incorrect.

The USDA recommends 1.5-2 cups of fruit a day for adults.
    https://www.choosemyplate.gov/fruit