Sweet tooth

Options
My sweet tooth is killing me at the minute. I can't seem to have just one sweet food item, I get this urge to have more. I don't drink alcohol or anything but at times this craving is overwhelming. I know that treats are healthy but I don't want to have them each day as it's spoiling my hard work at the gym. I practically live off snacks as I'm not in. Sticking to healthy stuff all the time is tough. I had some pancakes yesterday and they kept me full for a while. However I can't live off eggs as they high in cholesterol. Has anyone been through same and beat the binge

Replies

• bubblebum82
    bubblebum82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not in house much that should of said
  • ThythyBui
    ThythyBui Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been told to try and cut off all sugar out of my life for about a month. No sugar at all, including the natural sugar in fruit. The person who recommended this to me said that it was difficult, but when she got through it, she said that she stopped having such a big sweet tooth.
  • LewisAMartinez
    LewisAMartinez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    1. Don't keep the bad stuff in the house, your office, or your car. Don't go down certain food aisles
    2. When you have time make meals ahead and portion them out so you have something to eat when you don't have time. Freeze some portions so you have something to eat when you've run out of stuff in the fridge.
    3. Maybe once a week allow yourself a reasonable portion of some kind of treat you really like. Never eat the stuff you don't really like just because it's there.
    4. Make sure you are getting some "healthy" carbs--e.g. fruit and whole grains--but not so much it puts you over your calorie goals.
  • jellehjun
    jellehjun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there bubblegum (haha)
    I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm taking a Baking & Pastry course. Currently in my fridge there are 4 cakes, and in my pantry I have bags of chocolate. Yesterday I binged on one whole bag and went into a sugar coma haha.

I found that it really does help to calm those cravings with fruit. Sweet stuff like strawberries (with a tiny drizzle of70% dark chocolate maybe), and making healthy but filling desserts using cottage cheese and fruit, a bit of honey etc. You just gotta look. I follow a few Youtube channels who makes healthy meals but also great healthy desserts. You should check them out when you can:

The Protein Chef: https://www.youtube.com/user/dhftns/featured

Fitmen Cook: https://www.youtube.com/user/fitmencook
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with eggs. That myth was debunked years ago!
  • bubblebum82
    Options
    Thank you to you all. Helpful information. I have an addictive traits so if I buy something slightly naughty I eat it all. Some great advice and tips here thank you. I really hope so cause I love eggs. I eat three a day :/
  • bubblebum82
    Options
    Just subscribed to YouTube channels. I think I'm too busy at the minute to go cold turkey off sugar. I find that certain times during the month and tiredness makes me a total sugar beast who needs her fix. I've just had some homemade veg soup there and it's stopped craving
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    In the same boat, so I moved the snacks I like to have to a high shelf, where I have to bring out the step stool to get to it. What I do is portion out the snacks I allow myself the day before and go up that step stool once. Generally I'm too lazy to go up it again during the day or night if I want to snack. My spouse has told me I have no self- control when it comes to certain food, which is true. I love the biena crunchy chick peas and have eaten a whole package at work in one day. Needless to say no more whole bags of snacks at work just the pre-portioned amounts I bring with me. haha. It has been working for me.
  • bubblebum82
    Options
    Great post. I have rubbish self control too so got to work with it. Like the high shelf idea! Make things harder for myself! It's a good form of self love isn't it. Got to step in and take some control
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Fallfrenzy wrote: »
    In the same boat, so I moved the snacks I like to have to a high shelf, where I have to bring out the step stool to get to it. What I do is portion out the snacks I allow myself the day before and go up that step stool once. Generally I'm too lazy to go up it again during the day or night if I want to snack. My spouse has told me I have no self- control when it comes to certain food, which is true. I love the biena crunchy chick peas and have eaten a whole package at work in one day. Needless to say no more whole bags of snacks at work just the pre-portioned amounts I bring with me. haha. It has been working for me.

Brilliant! I do that, too, and it totally works. I'm way too lazy to go back for more...LOL! :D
  • bubblebum82
    Options
    Lol. I need to eventually be eating regular meals
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have a wicked sweet tooth and over time my willpower has improved. Last night I was staring at 2 boxes of Thin Mint cookies in my freezer but walked away and drank some water.

I allow myself 1 splurge meal a week. Knowing that I will be eating some homemade cupcakes and ice cream for my daughter's birthday this weekend made me wait and not want to ruin my day with those cookies. I believe that my splurge meals help keep me from binging on junk during the week.

This doesn't work for everyone but you may also try substituting fruit or some other healthy food for the sweets. Chewing sweet gum may be an option. Goodluck, I know it will take time but keep trying
  • bubblebum82
    Options
    Thank you. It's hard. I think if I allow myself one binge a week where I eat what I want without feeling guilty then it might help. The fruit gum etc just makes my cravings worse. I'm definitely all or nothing when it comes to sugar. Bit similar how I am with alcohol. That's why I rarely drink because I just want more. So I chose not to drink most of the time.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Have you tried protein fluff? It's great for your sweet tooth but not a killer on your calories.
  • bubblebum82
    Options
    No is it expensive? Might look into it. However if I eat more than I should then it's going to be waste of time. I can look into it. Thank you
  • BusyBeeMeli
    BusyBeeMeli Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also have a terrible sweet tooth and horrible self control! Sugar is a true addiction, I believe that with my whole being. The more I fight it the easier it gets. Like others here, I can't have it in the house at all or at least just allow myself a small amount periodically - which only works if you can control yourself to not self sabotage and eat the whole thing! Also what has worked for me is two things: 1) Exercise... it raises my "feel good" endorphins and I don't want to eat garbage to wash out all the hard work I put into the exercise. 2) Mind games. It's all a mind game anyway, right?! I ask myself, "Is this food item going to help me achieve my goals? Or is it going to harm me?" Having to answer that question helps me make better choices. I try to remind myself that the food I put into my body is going to do one of two things: Fuel my body and provide nutrients I need to be healthy, or harm my body in so many ways. Food is meant to keep us alive and yet we eat for so many other reasons also! Mind over matter. A lot of hard work!!!! But YOU are worth it!!!!! You owe it to YOURSELF :smiley: