feel heavy

Options
Weight up 4lb since going to body pump classes !

Replies

• Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Options
    Not happy
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    How long have you been going to body pump classes?
  • Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Options
    A week
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Muscles can retain water in the few days after exercise, particularly with a new exercise.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    4lb = 4x3500 =14 000 cal above maintanance. Did you eat all of this?
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    A 4 pound fluctuation in a week is probably most certainly not a gain of 4 lbs of fat. Water weight fluctuation can show a large gain, due to many factors. How long have you been on a calorie deficit?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Female weight fluctuates constantly due to hormones and sodium intake amongst other things. If you've only just started the body pump classes they may also cause a little water retention to help your body recover from the exercise. Up your water intake for a couple of days.

As you will hear repeated across the forums, weight loss isn't linear that's why it is often suggested to weigh yourself only weekly or monthly.

I personally weigh in daily but this is because it helps me to understand what is going on with my body. If you are not seeing an overall downward trend over the weeks (and bare in mind it can take 4-6 weeks to see any loss) then you are either not logging correctly, over-estimating your burns or could have a medical issue that is hindering your progress.

If you're over 4 weeks in and no loss, ask yourself the following:
    • Are your activity levels set correctly in MFP? - this refers to your non-exercise activity i.e. work/school/home life
    • Have you set a sustainable weight loss rate?
    • Logging Food - are you weighing food properly or just estimating portion sizes? People are often eating a lot more than they think
    • Calorie Burn - are you using MFP calorie burns? These can be grossly inaccurate and even fitness trackers can be inaccurate, try only eating 50% of your calories back and review at a later date.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Water weight due to exercise. It's a known effect, it's temporary, and it's not a big deal. I've gained up to 6lb overnight before. Give it time, it will go away again.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Relax. You just started working out. It's normal.

If you don't use a food scale, it may be a good idea to start.

Also, are you close to getting your period? That will cause a gain.....

Relax and learn to expect and accept normal fluctuations. Weight loss isn't linear.
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    4lb = 4x3500 =14 000 cal above maintanance. Did you eat all of this?

Agreed. I highly doubt you ate this many calories...
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Weight up 4lb since going to body pump classes !

Your body weight will fluctuate more as a female because of water retention, I doubt you have out on 4lbs of weight in a week.. Also, it's generally never a goood idea to go by weight, go by how you loook instead.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first experience of water retention for muscle repair!