Pain in lower legs when running

HI All,

I am getting back into running after a few months off (starting slowly and gently). The last two times I have run a mile at a very gentle pace (12.30 minute miles), am not out of breath and don't feel fatigued. However I get pain in my lower leg muscles on both legs, as though they're all cramping up and tightening. This pain is so bad I have to stop and walk it off, but comes back when I try to start again. This has never happened before we I use to run 10ks. It is all over the lower legs and not focused on the shins.

Is this cramp and if so what I can I do about it? Or is it lactic acid?

I feel like I can run for longer so it doesn't feel like a level of fitness issue. I have kept up a lower base of fitness over the past few months so whilst I don't feel like I could smash out my previous 10k race pace, I could realistically do 3 miles at this slower pace.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Well, I'm not an experienced runner but I have issues like this too if: I'm not properly warmed up, my shoes aren't great, or I've taken too long a break. For instance, I ran yesterday and I would describe the same issues as you have. Are you sure you don't have shin splints?
  • madcow132
    madcow132 Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks for your reply. It didn't seem to match up with what I had read online, though I'm no expert as you can probably tell!
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    If it's been a few months then you are de-conditioned and may need to get back into running more slowly. I agree with the running shoes/socks. That is important. I went and got fitted for my shoes, and I needed to buy a sock that comes with additional cushioning to absorb the shock and reduce the pain I feel in my legs when I run.
    Also, how is your stretching? Are your calves and hamstrings very tight? A daily stretching program will help to improve joint flexibility and may loosen up those cramps you're having when you run.
    What surfaces are you running on? If it's outdoors on a sidewalk that is a very hard surface and may be exacerbating your symptoms?
    You may just need to start at a slower pace than you're used to - such as alternating running and walking, with a period to stretch in between for a few weeks until you've rebuilt up the stamina and strength in your legs.
    If you've checked your footwear, stretch properly, hydrate, and are eating well then you may need an outside consult to assess your gait pattern and check the joints to see if there's a compensation or biomechanical error in your movements that is causing the pain.
    The lactic acid is a possibility but unlikely if you aren't feeling winded, and moving at a slower mile pace than you usually do. Lactic acid tends to build up more when you're pushing towards your VO2 max or a very heavy exertion. Your body will switch to utilizing anaerobic means to get energy and lactic acid builds up causing that severe burning in the legs. I really only get my lactic acid burns when I do tempo runs or that last quarter mile when I'm sprinting, but not usually on an easy run pace.
    Best of luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Where exactly do you feel it? Calves? Inner shins? Outer shins?
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    I found new running shoes and magnetic insoles helped me tremendously with the shin/calf pain.