At home yoga programs

Does anyone have links or suggestions for good yoga programs for at home beginners? I currently run, but need something to aid in stretching and strength. Thanks!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I also like Tim Senesi on YouTube
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    I use dvds at home. My internet can be spotty so I prefer a dvd. I have several Elements dvds that I got either at Wal-mart or on Amazon. My favorite is Tamal Dodge, but I also love Elena Brower.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I rely a lot on DVDs. I'm partial to Rodney Yee and Shiva Rea. Yes, going to a real class is absolutely best but not everyone can.

I also enjoy "Classical Stretch" on PBS by Miranda Osmand-White. It's not yoga but it's stretching and a lot of it is really good for runners. DVR it if you can. 30 minute program with many episodes.
  • mormontsraven
    mormontsraven Posts: 8 Member
    Longtime yogi here. If you're new to it, I would highly suggest taking a few classes at a yoga studio first. Form and body alignment are very important in yoga. An in-person teacher can correct any mistakes in your form before their either become bad habits or lead to injury.

I appreciate the advice. I can't afford regular yoga classes and there aren't any around me that are at times when I'm available. (1030 am !?)
  • Sewhike
    Sewhike Posts: 7 Member
    I agree with keyonhaff about "Classical Stretch" on PBS by Miranda Esmonde-White. A great program that incorporates low impact cardio, stretching, and strength training that works every part of your body. I tape it daily and then refer back to the program I need for the part of my body that needs attention that day.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I second Yoga with Adrienne. I'm doing her 30 days of yoga and some of her explanations were "ah hah! So that's how you're supposed to do that!" Moments after a few sub par gym yoga classes (I can't go to a studio...no childcare:/ ).
  • cake91
    cake91 Posts: 46 Member
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    They have a YouTube channel called "Yoga with Adrienne", and she has videos for all levels of yoga.

I might give that a go :). Need something to keep me occupied in the evenings :)
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Once you're more familiar with poses and form, I suggest the app Down Dog (blue dog icon). You select type of practice (full, restorative or quick flow) and length of time, and it builds a custom sequence for you and takes you through. I love it! Use it every morning before work.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Longtime yogi here. If you're new to it, I would highly suggest taking a few classes at a yoga studio first. Form and body alignment are very important in yoga. An in-person teacher can correct any mistakes in your form before their either become bad habits or lead to injury.

I agree 100%. I practiced yoga for a couple of years using DVDs. I started taking classes a couple of months ago and wish that I had started out that way. The personal attention will really help to set the foundation for your practice. You will make much better progress in a supportive environment and also potentially prevent some injuries by learning proper body alignment for some of the more challenging positions, such as crane, hand stands, etc.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member

I appreciate the advice. I can't afford regular yoga classes and there aren't any around me that are at times when I'm available. (1030 am !?)

You may want to check out a free app called "Mind Body". It's an app that uses your location to find fitness classes in your area, including yoga. Helped me find a local place (I live in the boondocks) and they even gave the first class for free with no obligation to take another one. Classes that I take cost $12 for 90 minutes.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    FitStar yoga
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    I've been loving Yoga Vine with Donna on YouTube.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    YouTube has tons of different variety of yoga