Can I get some advice on lifting weights to maintain muscle mass

Hello all,

I will give some stats and background so I can get the best advise:
45 year old female, 5'2" tall.
Start weight 178lb, current weight 169lb, goal weight 126lb.

So in January I started to eat at a calorie deficit and tracked everything in MFP and have lost 9lb so far (MFP programmed to lose 1lb per week giving me 1420 kcal per day to eat).

Beginning of February I joined a gym and started out doing cardio on the treadmill and bike and have built that up to about an hour each session, burning about 400kcal each time - I do this 3 times per week - was an absolute couch potato before and couldn't run if my life depended on it!

Now I have started on the weights - so far just had 2 sessions learning how to use each piece of equipment safely.

I am not looking to build muscle, my understanding is that's very difficult whilst eating at a calorie deficit. What I am looking to do is to maintain my current muscle mass and just generally get fitter and stronger and hopefully tone as I loose....bit worried about saggy bits of skin!

I plan to work the entire body, so mostly machines, but probably not free weights other than dumbells (purely due to lack of experience lifting).

What I need advice on is what I should be lifting, how many times etc. How do I determine the correct weights? From what I've read this is sets and reps?
I have experimented, of course I can lift heavy weights but only a few times, and lighter ones I could go on for ages.
What should I be aiming for to best achieve my goals?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered :)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Get on a beginner structured program (the aworkoutroutine and M&S are great dumbbell routines). Once you get those down comfortably, I think it would be wise to move to a barbell routine. I have found some value in getting books like Thinner Leaner Stronger, NROL4W, Lean Muscle Diet, etc, as they can provide more insight into variations, videos, explanations into each move. They also tend to provide plans for a year.

But in all honesty, any program that you enjoy, the forces you to progressively get stronger, will help with muscle retention.... along with adequate protein (~120g).

ETA: Start with a weight that you are comfortable with and add a little bit more each week. Doesn't matter if it's 2.5, 5, or 10 lb increments.... as long as you keep adding more weight.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here is list of lifting programs.

Have a look at the bodyweight programs or the beginner/dumbbell ones.

Find one that suits your goals/needs.

As for determining the correct weights, that might be trial and error at first. I would definitely start off light and get your form down before going heavier - this is true for both barbell and dumbbells.

I, myself, prefer barbells but I get that they can be intimidating. They're just a great tool for strength training and I can do more on a barbell than I can with dumbbells.

Maybe you can ask whoever is teaching you about the gym equipment about free weight training. There are plenty of informative videos online as well.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    I second and third the advice to use free weights like barbells, dumbells and kettlebells. One of the things they are good at is compound movements. Movements where more than one or two muscles are getting worked at the same time. Machines tend to isolate muscles, which is usually more for the more advanced lifters that are trying to isolate a single area and they will also allow you to get away with bad form more easily. Ask for help from someone at your gym, or if you aren't comfortable do several google searches. I say several so you can check and see if they both match. You want to get it right.

My favourites are the dumbbell/clean and press, deadlift and squats. You'll find that just these three exercises will serve you well and you can also do them at home if you like.

In terms of figuring out how much weight and how many reps etc. You should be patient and start with weights that feel light to you so you can learn correct form. One of the most important things you can do is write down your plan and your progress. Then increase your weights or your reps on a regular basis over time, say 5-10% per week??

You want to keep it simple and once you've mastered this (or got bored) add in some other exercises as you research them.

This could be your plan for week 1, do this two or three times per week depending how you feel. You do not need to do this every day and you should have at least one day off between days once your workout gets harder.

Dumbell clean and press - 10 reps of 5 lbs, do this three times (sets).
    Deadlift - 10 reps of 20 lbs, do this three times.
    Squats - 10 reps of 20 lbs, do this three times.

Week two could be same but 12 reps each.
    Week three could be 14 reps or back to 10 with heavier weights.

Write down each exercise like this
    Dumbell Clean and Press
    10 x 5 lbs = 50 lbs
    10 x 5 lbs = 50 lbs
    10 x 5 lbs = 50 lbs
    Total 150 lbs

The next week would look like this
    12 x 5 lbs = 60 lbs
    12 x 5 lbs = 60 lbs
    12 x 5 lbs = 60 lbs
    Total 180 lbs

OR

6 x 10 lbs = 60 lbs
    6 x 10 lbs = 60 lbs
    6 x 10 lbs = 60 lbs
    Total 180 lbs

Congratulations you've increased your volume from 150 lbs to 180 lbs by either doing more reps or more weight. Your total volume is your progress (think of it like points). Don't be afraid to walk around with a little pen and paper at the gym, all the cool kids do it. :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    ^IMO, it would probably be better to start with bench and overhead press, prior to jumping to clean and press. It's a bit less dynamic and leaves less room for error for a complete beginner. Not saying that you can't do your plan, but I think concentrating on the big 4, at first, is going to be more ideal.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    ^IMO, it would probably be better to start with bench and overhead press, prior to jumping to clean and press. It's a bit less dynamic and leaves less room for error for a complete beginner. Not saying that you can't do your plan, but I think concentrating on the big 4, at first, is going to be more ideal.

This is good too! :) Find some exercises you like.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I did StrongLifts 5x5. Nice and simple, compound lifts. Free weights can't be beat!
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Thanks for all the replies and the links. Has given me plenty of ideas and what I need to think about :)