How to reduce/avoid movie theater snacking?

Does anyone have a tactic for avoiding overeating at the movie theater? What's the craziest thing you've snuck into the movies? I was thinking an apple bulging out of my pocket would be kinda suspicious!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    That's where a big purse comes in handy :wink: I find it easiest to just not have anything at all. I'm there to watch a movie, and mindless munching really doesn't add to the experience. But I love movie theater popcorn so much!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I usually just get a small popcorn. Otherwise nothing, I'm not fussed on eating my way through a film and I feel self conscious if I'm crunching away during a quiet scene.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    I've gone to the theater and not had anything...though that movie theater popcorn smell makes it hard to deny a bag. Take a healthy snack if you want, if they don't serve it they can't really deny it. You could always tell them you have a restricted diet and none of the things they serve work for you. Usually theaters don't care...they care when you sneak in outside candy and stuff that they could otherwise sell you. Orrrr, just take a purse and put snacks in it. When I'm cutting I usually hit the theater with a protein bar in my pocket and eat that if I want something.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Personally, I find popcorn to be very filling. Even a small unbuttered popcorn is enough to keep me full for a couple of hours.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    I bring a bag of jello bites. Haha. I'll get a large Coke Zero as my splurge.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Small or Kiddie popcorn and a water or diet soda.

Craziest thing snuck in? Hard to say, as you don't really "sneak" stuff into Rocky Horror. So maybe a burger from one of the local fast food places?
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Yes, I love the popcorn too! It's just not knowing the calorie content, makes me nervous to get it. Plus it has more oil/butter/salt than I would normally add if I made it on the stovetop at home. Eating during a movie at home is not a challenge for me, it's the association of going to an actual movie (and wanting snacks) that gives me trouble!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Does anyone have a tactic for avoiding overeating at the movie theater? What's the craziest thing you've snuck into the movies? I was thinking an apple bulging out of my pocket would be kinda suspicious!

I just bring a (small) box of Cracker Jack, but I could see bringing a bigger purse and a 100 calorie bag of Pop Secret. Veggies (I like them).....but they're just not theater food.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Bring a Ziploc bag of your own popcorn from home. That way, you know what went in it. Carry it in a bigger purse.

Once you eat that, it's all gone and don't get anymore.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    I used to get candy, but now I just get a big diet soda. If I think I'll want more than that, I put a measured baggie of nuts in my pocket.

But I recognize that it's pretty easy for me because I don't like movie popcorn and don't have an insistent sweet tooth. My husband struggles with it, so he saves some calories up the week before.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Small or Kiddie popcorn and a water or diet soda.

Craziest thing snuck in? Hard to say, as you don't really "sneak" stuff into Rocky Horror. So maybe a burger from one of the local fast food places?

Lol! Don't get me started on the "Rocky Horror Picture Show"! It was a free-for-all!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I've taken in baby carrots before. I'd also go with cucumber slices and the like or I try and get meal in so I'm not tempted. For the drink craving you could always take a bottle of water (or water with flavoring) to curb that too. I usually take a hoodie jacket and put the snacks in the pockets (I'm not much of a purse wearer)
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    A ziploc baggie whit SkinnyPop
  • jessicagreen1828
    Jello bites?! Never heard of that. Sounds messy? What is the actual brand/product name? Yes kid size popcorn, never thought of that either! Thank you guys! These are great ideas. Also like the purse and pre-slicing apples idea. Not real sure about a hamburger! Haha
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    When I was in college we used to sneak beer in. But for the most part I either save calories for a snack or I just don't eat at the theatre.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

I went to theater and did not buy any snacks. I just chewed a piece of mint gum during the movie and got dinner afterwards. I thought it would be difficult because I love popcorn and would smell it all around me but it was not. I was involved in watching the movie and did not miss it.
    I still sometimes get a small popcorn at the theater but I guess I learned that I don't have to have it to enjoy my movie experience.
  • jessicagreen1828
    Afura wrote: »
    I've taken in baby carrots before. I'd also go with cucumber slices and the like or I try and get meal in so I'm not tempted. For the drink craving you could always take a bottle of water (or water with flavoring) to curb that too. I usually take a hoodie jacket and put the snacks in the pockets (I'm not much of a purse wearer)

Nice! I love cucumbers and carrots.
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    I sneak in everything to the movies. Subway, pizza... snacks. Whatever I'm in the mood for lol. I've literally never seen the no outside rule enforced.

I'f i'm trying to watch calories I just plan for it and I'll count it as a meal. Usually i'll buy a hot dog, sneak in some chocolate, and maybe some cookies or fruit snacks depending on my mood. Usually ends up being a 800ish calorie meal which is better than overdosing on buttery popcorn.

Movies and snacking just go hand in hand.