Leaning down

Hello,

I want to lean down and gain muscle mass but I still have that bit of fat on top that's hard to loss. Any advice of the best way to do this and how many calories I should be looking for? I am 5'6 and 136 with I believe 22% body fat. I want to get to 18% or at leSt 20% after the first 7-8 months.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Well if you are 22% body fat, then hitting 18% is more than reasonable in the next few months or sooner. It really depends on how well you can be compliant and accurate. The bigger issue right now, is there isn't much room for error. It's why the last 10 lbs is so hard. It should be noted, while muscle gain in a deficit can occur, it's not really prevalent and you wouldn't gain much. But if you are new to training, it's possible. But I wouldn't get stuck on that aspect too much.

What training program are you following? How many calories are you eating? Do you know what macros you are currently eating? Have you started to use a food scale?
  • I am currently doing 5day splits, with one day of cardio only. I normally eat at most 2200 in a day normally 1900-2000 though. I am trying to hit 167grams of protein, 250grams of carbs and 67grams of fat. This is what my goals are set for. What would you recommend be best. I am pretty consistent with the workouts for 6 days out of the week and pretty strict with the diet.
  • psuLemon
    I am currently doing 5day splits, with one day of cardio only. I normally eat at most 2200 in a day normally 1900-2000 though. I am trying to hit 167grams of protein, 250grams of carbs and 67grams of fat. This is what my goals are set for. What would you recommend be best. I am pretty consistent with the workouts for 6 days out of the week and pretty strict with the diet.

1. You don't need that much protein. You only need about 110-135g. If you like more, that's fine. So you can beef up fats or carbs if you prefer
    2. What does your 5-day split consist of? Is it a structured program, self designed or designed by a trainer?
    3. How long have you been tracking calories and what has your weight been doing?
  • I got my program offline. Monday I work legs and abs, Tuesday is chest, Wednesday is back and abs, Thursday is cardio, Friday shoulders and abs, Saturday is arms and Sunday is off.

I've been tracking calories and weight for a couple years. I used to have an eating disorder and three years ago was 118. I then binged for a while and put weight and fat back on due to everything. I started weight training two weeks ago and since then put on a pound from 135 to 136.
  • psuLemon
    I got my program offline. Monday I work legs and abs, Tuesday is chest, Wednesday is back and abs, Thursday is cardio, Friday shoulders and abs, Saturday is arms and Sunday is off.

I've been tracking calories and weight for a couple years. I used to have an eating disorder and three years ago was 118. I then binged for a while and put weight and fat back on due to everything. I started weight training two weeks ago and since then put on a pound from 135 to 136.

I would first, get off that program. It's a typical bro-split and will be fairly ineffective for a beginner who isn't on steroids. As a beginner to weight training, you would benefit from concentrating on the core 4 lifts (bench, OHP, deadlift and squat) and benefit from a higher lifting frequency. This in conjunction with adequate protein and calories, will be optimal for muscle protein synthesis.

Also, it's not uncommon to gain few lbs when you start training. Your muscle increase fluid retention and blood to repair your muscles as you break down the tissue.

There are a few really good programs to start with, but typical recommendations are: StrongCurves*, StrongLifts, StartingStrength, NROL4W* or Thinner Leaner Stronger* . The ones with an asterisk are all books and have multiple programs. IIRC, they have enough programs to last a year. Depending on your goals (outside of just being lean) and your need to change, will determine which program is ideal for you. Personally, I like routines that change it up and I enjoy a 4-5 day split, which is why I choose Bigger Leaner Strong (the male version of TLS).

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1