Gaining weight for child

Options
Anyone know much re this? Very nonfussy toddler who eats anything but critically low weight. On hospital waiting list. Writing a diary. Looking for ideas while I am waiting.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Calorie dense foods such as peanut butter and whole milk may work.

Try getting them to eat a peanut butter sandwich with a glass of whole milk.

Edited to add a link to a list of calorie dense foods:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

Create some meals for your child using these foods. I realize children's stomachs are not as big so this might help.

Good luck.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Do they already take a multivitamin? Some deficiencies can effect appetite and/or metabolism. Maybe their doctor could recommend one that has what they might be needing.

ETA: Maybe even a toddler formula if they are available in your area.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How underweight is the toddler? Is it a He or she?

My daughter has always been tiny. Doctors threatened ss on me because of it. One dr however asked me if she was listlessly or sickly, if she played. Then told me that she is just petite. First smart doctor I met.

At 6 she was in size 3 toddler. At 10 she was the size of a 5 year old. At 15 now she is asked if she wants crayons at restaurants. She looks 10. 12 with makeup! I have an aunt who is 4'11 so I guess she got her tiny frame from her.

So you have to judge your child on how healthy they are despite their weight. My daughter had anemia issues and can't stand temperatures changes.. but she is full of energy and a vicious little spitfire.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old is underweight (5th percentile at her school physical for preschool back in August) and is currently drinking Carnation Instant Breakfast shakes once or twice a day (cheaper than PediaSure, and has more calories) to help gain weight. She's gained a few pounds since the hospital recommended we start her on them.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    There could be all kinds of reasons for this and I hope the hospital referral is useful. Lots of suggestions above so I won't add to it but just wanted to say, my youngest was underweight throughout his childhood and various investigations showed nothing was wrong. Unlike your toddler,he was quite a picky eater. He is now 22,eats anything and everything and is a healthy guy of normal weight! So it may just improve with time but you're right to get it checked. Good luck !
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods such as peanut butter and whole milk may work.

THIS!
    Peanut butter and whole milk are used in third world countries (and not only) to rescue those painfully thin children. Think of variations of course...toast with condensed milk, banana and peanut butter.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I feel your pain. My 2 year old is a very picky eater. You can't even bride him with ice cream, candy or chocolate. In fact, when we go to target, all he wants is a banana. He has even thrown an oreo at my wife and taken a banana instead; kid just loves his fruit. At this point, I just try to give him anything he is willing to eat. We experiment with as many foods as possible.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    When you go see the doctor, have them check not only for vitamin deficiencies but his/her thyroid. Also, have the doctor check for diabetes, just to be on the safe side.

There are many things you can do to help your child food-wise. Yes, as others have said, peanut butter and whole milk can help. If your child has problems with milk, you can use coconut milk. One of my favorite snacks as a child was apple slices with peanut butter on them. Cook with olive oil. Add flax seed, almonds, or walnuts to cookies or brownies. Try rice and beans as a side dish with dinner. Also, try avocado, which can be hidden in foods if your child is turned off by how it looks.

Make sure all kiddo's meals and snacks are balanced - proteins, healthy fats, and complex carbs. You can also encourage mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks for awhile.

If your child does not seem sluggish, and bowel movements are fine so you don't suspect food allergies or celiac, then rest assured your child will catch up! :-)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I made homemade granola bars once with peanut butter that had a stupid amount of calories in them. I fed them to my son (he was underweight at the time but has outgrown it at this point). He loves milk and I have always bought whole milk for him to drink.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I made homemade granola bars once with peanut butter than had a stupid amount of calories in them. I fed them to my son (he was underweight at the time but has outgrown it at this point). He loves milk and I have always bought whole milk for him to drink.

Recipe?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I made homemade granola bars once with peanut butter than had a stupid amount of calories in them. I fed them to my son (he was underweight at the time but has outgrown it at this point). He loves milk and I have always bought whole milk for him to drink.

Recipe?

No sorry, this was several years ago. I probably just googled "Peanut butter granola bar recipe" lol.