Thick & creamy protein shake brands?

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
Any suggestions for a protein shake powder that's thick & creamy like a real shake? I use Pure Protein. I like the taste of French Vanilla but it's kind of watery even with banana & ice. I've tried the much-maligned Shakeology and love how thick & creamy it is, but $oooooo expen$ive. Thanks. (No need to bash brands.)

Replies

• dreamer182
    dreamer182 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Quest and PEScience are my favorites! Also, if you add 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum to any shake, it makes it super thick.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Gen-tec protein custard is amazing, you can make the consistency as thick/thin as you like. I'm not sure if it's available in the U.S though.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Try BSN's Syntha 6. Many flavors. There use to be a time when this was all I would use because it was the absolute best with water. Definitely had a creamy texture across your palette. I switched do to cost per sevings.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    @dreamer182 Where can you get xanthum gum? Regular grocery store?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Also, a casein based powder is thicker.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I mix my protein powder/milk and put it in the fridge for an hour before drinking, it thickens up. I've used a couple of different brands of whey protein and they've all done that. Would that be an option?
  • lorrpb
    Options
    I can try that. Usually it starts to separate pretty quickly.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @lorrpb xanthan gum is a great idea, but be careful you only need a tiny bit, I've never used more than 4-5g. Most grocery stores have it.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I second the Syntha-6, and I also enjoy MTS Nutrition, mix with milk. MTS Cookies and Cream with Fairlife milk is soo goood. I've found that most brands with more fat/carbs are going to be thicker than those that are low carb.
    Quest is really thick, but I did not like the texture for a shake. I haven't found a brand that uses casein yet that I could stomach.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    if you want it to be thick and creamy, mix it with cashew milk and put it in the fridge. Unsweetened cashew milk only adds like 25 calories but it makes a huge difference in texture.

It's a great combo with PE Science powder. It's almost like a milkshake in thickness.
  • EspressoLvr
    EspressoLvr Posts: 100 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    When I use almond milk, it's thicker. There's a thing called fluff that uses xanthan gum, google it. People use it to create protein like fluffiness to eat instead of to drink. I haven't tried it. I use 2% milk most of the time and the protein brand I prefer is Matrix, it's thick when you keep the portions right; like 1cup liquid per scoop, if you put more liquid, obviously it's thinner. Check your portions... My boss gave me one of her Premier Protein (pre mixed), it was really sweet and thick, they have a great price at Sam's club, but elsewhere it's pricey (IMO).
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I love Titan peanut butter chocolate protein powder...I mix it with skim milk and its sooooo yummy
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I love the Titan peanut butter/chocolate as well. But i cant handle whey concentrate, and my husband threatened to move out if i kept using it :flushed: So I'm stuck with the expensive Isolate and casein brands.
  • dreamer182
    dreamer182 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    @dreamer182 Where can you get xanthum gum? Regular grocery store?
    Yes! They sell it at grocery stores and Target/Walmart, but I ordered mine off amazon. If you use only about 1/4 teaspoon at a time, a bottle will have over 200 servings. https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Xanthan-Gum-Ounce/dp/B015FCFRW8/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487999043&sr=1-5&keywords=xanthan+gum
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Quest gets really creamy, but you need to let it blend a long time. But maybe that's my blender.

And yes to the xanthan gum. In my experience, a blend of xanthan AND guar gum makes for a superior shake. You can get both at Whole Foods.

Regular supermarkets, at least mine, hide the xanthan gum in the Bob's Red mill products in a special gluten free products section, not in the regular baking aisle.
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Orgain chocolate fudge protein powder
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Trutein is my favorite of all the ones I've tried. It's a casein/whey/egg blend, and the casein makes it thicker. I always mix mine with Fairlife nonfat milk and they come out much thicker/creamier than a whey-based shake. The Cinnabun flavor is as much a treat as it is a protein supplement!