10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Replies

• AnnPT77 wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind:

MFP only tracks a limited subset of known micronutrients (vitamins/minerals), and only semi-accurately tracks those that are reliably on food labels (for example, potassium often isn't on labels). There are other vitamins & minerals, beneficial anti-oxidants, and other biologically useful compounds in those veggies & fruit . . . not to mention, probably, some yet undiscovered ones. (There are multiple substances considered vitamins now, that were not so in my childhood - I'd bet the discoveries aren't over.)

By increasing your fruits & veggies, you're getting all those forms of goodness - time-tested in most cases by thousands of years of human evolution - into your system. Good stuff!

This is why I search to find more complete info. I hate that some of the best stuff is omitted from the labels.
  • WTF??? I just had my weekly weigh in and I'm down a whopping 4lbs!

This must be water weight due to the decrease in processed carbs I'm guessing?

I'm a slight female by the way with a bmi of 20 and losing the last couple of winter vanity pounds I purposefully put on to keep warmer over winter.

Carbs are carbs - if you've kept your carbs the same, just from different sources, I can't imagine it would make that much difference. Less processed probably means less sodium, also more fibre - perhaps both have contributed?

I have to disagree here. Not all carbs are created equal. Some are known to spike the blood sugar while others digest much more slowly and do not create this spike. If a person is hypoglycemic they would certainly feel the difference.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I thought of this thread while I ordered my roasted veggies tacos.

Then I weighed them when I got home and realized they only had about 75 g of veggies in them.

Cooked vegetables? Or raw?

The lettuce was raw. The others were cooked.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I too am going to keep pushing the veggies for March. I'm going grocery shopping today, you should see my list with all the produce on it!

Photo please!!
    I am going to also keep my consumption up. Though I am going to trim it back first and get an idea of just how much I was eating prior to this. Maybe I will visit the past entries in my diary to get a better idea. Then build from there.

Just wondering, will there be thread for anyone who wants to continue or will we just be doing this without any further forum thread?

I say we just keep using this thread :)

• Nony_Mouse
    I've just confirmed that the little fridge I acquired for my lab/office late last week is bung and freezes things. Luckily I suspected this was the case and didn't bring my cucumbers with me, just enough for today. Also luckily there is another unused fridge where this one came from so I'll just swap them over :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I went to check the Canadian Food Guide and I'm falling short on meeting those guidelines! *sigh*

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/quantit-eng.php

Don't ask why dry foods are given liquid measurements.
  • Tomorrow I am going to try my hand at spring rolls. I mean, they may not be "traditional" but I think this would be a nice way to change it up a bit.
  • Nony_Mouse
    zyxst wrote: »
    I went to check the Canadian Food Guide and I'm falling short on meeting those guidelines! *sigh*

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/quantit-eng.php

Don't ask why dry foods are given liquid measurements.

Whoa, that is a lot of grain products! Six to seven servings a day for women (not that there is anything wrong with that, just something I don't eat a lot of, even less now that it seems gluten is one of my eczema triggers :\ )
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    We're having spaghetti bolognese for dinner (with kangaroo mince).... I always pick zoodles over pasta - nearly at my day quota just in zucchini (700g)

We add vegies to our bolognese - normally zucchini, red capsicum and mushrooms, but capsicum weren't available this week. Boo. 150g mushrooms and 50g onion. Plus 345g passata.

150g berries, 35g avo, 50g zucchini and that's me on 1480g for today
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    One of the major benefits of eating fruits and veggies is the fiber content. I found this article about all the effects of fiber really interesting. Some stuff i had never heard of!
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/fiber-its-natures-broom.html/
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited March 2017
    WTF??? I just had my weekly weigh in and I'm down a whopping 4lbs!

This must be water weight due to the decrease in processed carbs I'm guessing?

I'm a slight female by the way with a bmi of 20 and losing the last couple of winter vanity pounds I purposefully put on to keep warmer over winter.

Stalls and whooshes are a very mysterious thing. Women tend to have a lot more problems with water retention than men. I don't completely understand it (i don't think anyone does) but you might find this article interesting: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/ My weight is constantly going up and down seemingly without any reason. I just ignore it and look for a general trend.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Glad to see some of you still challenging yourselves! I'm also going to keep at it in March, but probably just weekdays, and I think I'll focus on hitting the 600g mark and then go from there lol. Reflecting back, I now realize I was probably averaging 300g-400g before the challenge. So anything beyond that I consider a win :)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,971 Member
    Though this has been fun, I think drop back to just reading what others post on the thread, and maybe weighing in with a comment if I think I have anything helpful to add. I'll leave off posting daily lists - I was kinda cheating anyway, since I've been eating large amounts of veg/fruit for a long time.

If anyone finds it inexplicably entertaining to see the daily veggie/fruit consumption of someone who eats lots of them most days, you're welcome to friend me and follow my food diary as if it were a soap opera. ;););)
  • Nony_Mouse
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Though this has been fun, I think drop back to just reading what others post on the thread, and maybe weighing in with a comment if I think I have anything helpful to add. I'll leave off posting daily lists - I was kinda cheating anyway, since I've been eating large amounts of veg/fruit for a long time.

If anyone finds it inexplicably entertaining to see the daily veggie/fruit consumption of someone who eats lots of them most days, you're welcome to friend me and follow my food diary as if it were a soap opera. ;););)

Haha, good point. My diet is incredibly monotonous (but tasty!!) at the best of times, and even moreso at the moment because of the eczema (note the complete lack of nightshades, no enjoying big bowls of summer ratatouille for me :( ). It's hardly riveting stuff!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    This week is tough because I'm moving states in 5 days and we are trying to eat whatever food is in the house without buying much else. Ugh. Maybe I should just prep a bunch of fruit and veg.

I already packed most of my tupperware. :neutral:
  • Nony_Mouse
    This week is tough because I'm moving states in 5 days and we are trying to eat whatever food is in the house without buying much else. Ugh. Maybe I should just prep a bunch of fruit and veg.

Ugh, moving sucks!

Just do the best you can :)

1547 for me today, by virtue of the fact dinner was watermelon, a lot of it.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017

Did that last month (one town over though lol), and yep-by the day before our move out we were eating dry cereal with our hands :D
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017

You could always buy some throw away plastic containers or use quart sized food storage bags instead.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You were responsible for getting me to try raw celeriac. I've had it cooked before.

OMG.

I adore it.