Carb gain powders??

Have any of you successfully used a carb gainer powder with protien powder to gain weight? I'm looking at the Now foods brand. How often or how much do you need a day and how long did it take to gain? I want to gain about 5-10 lbs.

Replies

• JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    1 time per day with post workout shake.

I use Karbolyn
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Don't even bother with them. They are just overpriced crap usually. Mainly just filled with dextrose and maltadextrine (cheap sugars) and they charge you a crap ton for them. If you look at www.labdoor.com at the protein section, you will see almost all the mass gainers have been identified as the worst.

You want cheap sugar, eat some gummy bears with a protein shake. It's the same effect as a carb gainer.
  • psuLemon
    When I think of all the wonderful ways in which one can add carbs to the diet, the thought of mass gain powders makes me very, very sad.

It's largely marketing. Some assume that supplements are better than junk food. Sadly, most junk food has more nutrients... and doesn't have a side effect of intestinal discomfort for some.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Why anyone would choose to drink carbs rather than eat something is beyond me. Unless you are trying to consume 4000+ calories of bro food, there is no need for them.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    As stated, they're pretty much pointless. If you really want liquid cals though, get some protein powder, dextrose, oats, and make your own. You'll end up saving some cash in the end, for the exact same thing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Why anyone would choose to drink carbs rather than eat something is beyond me. Unless you are trying to consume 4000+ calories of bro food, there is no need for them.

seriously ...why take some powder when I could have bagels, pasta, etc...????
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Have any of you successfully used a carb gainer powder with protien powder to gain weight? I'm looking at the Now foods brand. How often or how much do you need a day and how long did it take to gain? I want to gain about 5-10 lbs.

I personally don't utilize suppliments because there isn't anything that I need that I can't get from food. I prefer eating cake, ice cream, or banana for carbs. I prefer eating chicken marinated in ranch topped with Chipotle, hamburger, or spicy cajun chicken nuggets over any protien powder.

To answer your question directly, it takes the same amount if time as food if you have the same caloric surplus.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    JB035 wrote: »

I use Karbolyn

I'm curious why you wouldn't you regard that as junk food?
    Isn't it mainly just a highly processed bunch of sugars?
  • JB035
    edited March 2017
    sijomial wrote: »

I use Karbolyn

@sijomial Dude don't trip....

I got one even better for you. If you can tell me why karbolyn is good post workout I'll tell you why I don't consider it a junk food.
  • sijomial
    edited March 2017

I use Karbolyn

I got one even better for you. If you can tell me why karbolyn is good post workout I'll tell you why I don't consider it a junk food.
    @JB035
    Trip? Sorry I'm a different generation from you and trip might mean something different to me! :)

I do understand why carbs (any carbs) are good post workout, although the importance timing is vastly over emphasised - that wasn't the question. I'm not anti sugar by way, my highly processed sugar/carb intake tends to be during very long bike rides though (carb gels etc.). I do prefer to eat "real food" as much as possible though.
    Was just surprised in the light of your opposition to junk food why you don't classify this supplement as junk as it's pretty much devoid of nutrition apart from energy.
    My point is we shouldn't settle for a poor plan just because we can make up for it in junk food.

A bit like the perennial what does clean eating mean discussions I'm confused what you regard as junk.

• JB035

I use Karbolyn

@JB035
    Trip? Sorry I'm a different generation from you and trip might mean something different to me! :)

I do understand why carbs (any carbs) are good post workout, although the importance timing is vastly over emphasised - that wasn't the question. I'm not anti sugar by way, my highly processed sugar/carb intake tends to be during very long bike rides though (carb gels etc.). I do prefer to eat "real food" as much as possible though.
    Was just surprised in the light of your opposition to junk food why you don't classify this supplement as junk as it's pretty much devoid of nutrition apart from energy.
    My point is we shouldn't settle for a poor plan just because we can make up for it in junk food.

A bit like the perennial what does clean eating mean discussions I'm confused what you regard as junk.

@sijomial
    Sorry I thought you were being smug.

"Karbolyn is a mixture of Potato, rice, and corn deliver both short-chain and long-chain carbohydrates. This blend of quick and slow-releasing energy gives an immediate boost bolstered by hours of energy following. Karbolyn is absorbed more quickly than dextrose or glucose, yet still provides sustained energy for more than two hours."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bodybuilding.com/amp-content/the-benefits-of-post-workout-carbohydrates.html

I'm not smart enough to fully explain it so if you have time read this check it out.
  • sijomial

I use Karbolyn

@JB035

@sijomial

"Karbolyn is a mixture of Potato, rice, and corn deliver both short-chain and long-chain carbohydrates. This blend of quick and slow-releasing energy gives an immediate boost bolstered by hours of energy following. Karbolyn is absorbed more quickly than dextrose or glucose, yet still provides sustained energy for more than two hours."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bodybuilding.com/amp-content/the-benefits-of-post-workout-carbohydrates.html

I'm not smart enough to fully explain it so if you have time read this check it out.

@JB035
    Be wary of marketing hype would be my advice.
    Dextrose is just a form of glucose (made from corn starch).

As far as I'm aware nothing gets absorbed faster than glucose. That's why endurance athletes often fuel on it predominately. Or 2:1 glucose/fructose mix if they need/want higher than the maximum rate that glucose can be absorbed (approx. 60g/hour).

You could get the same effect of fast/slow release carbs by eating a sweetened bowl of cereal - personal choice of course.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Carb gainers are pretty pointless.
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2017

I use Karbolyn

@JB035

@sijomial

@JB035

As far as I'm aware nothing gets absorbed faster than glucose. That's why endurance athletes often fuel on it predominately. Or 2:1 glucose/fructose mix if they need/want higher than the maximum rate that glucose can be absorbed (approx. 60g/hour).

You could get the same effect of fast/slow release carbs by eating a sweetened bowl of cereal - personal choice of course.

Considering both dextrose and maltodextrin are known to be the fastest absorbing carbohydrates.... and they are glucose, i would agree with you. Dextrose is a monosaccharide (short chain) and maltodextrin is a polysaccharide (long chain starch i believe). and derived from those sources noted above. So yea.. seems like marketing hype.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    psuLemon wrote: »

I use Karbolyn

@JB035

@sijomial

@JB035

Considering both dextrose and maltodextrin are known to be the fastest absorbing carbohydrates.... and they are glucose, i would agree with you. Dextrose is a monosaccharide and maltodextrin is a polysaccharide.. and derived from those sources noted above. So yea.. seems like marketing hype.

Marketing hype?!? In the supplement industry?!?!? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!1!1!!

:D

If P.T. Barnum was alive today, he wouldn't be in the circus business - he'd be in the nutrition supplement business. His quote of "There's a sucker born every minute" has never been more apropos.
  • psuLemon
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

I use Karbolyn

@JB035

@sijomial

@JB035

Considering both dextrose and maltodextrin are known to be the fastest absorbing carbohydrates.... and they are glucose, i would agree with you. Dextrose is a monosaccharide and maltodextrin is a polysaccharide.. and derived from those sources noted above. So yea.. seems like marketing hype.

Marketing hype?!? In the supplement industry?!?!? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!1!1!!

:D

I know i am absolutely shocked. :D
  • JB035
    Suckas got me!!
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Instead of coffee in the morning.., on a cut i use musashi shed and burn.
    Bulk i use musashi mass gainer.