Carb gain powders??

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    The whole thing with Karbolyn reminds me of the hydrolyzed whey hype that ended up being nothing but bitter tasting disappointment. "Zomg, it's totally even faster than whey isolate...nevermind the fact that half of whey isolate's AA content already ends up being oxidized for energy, due to the speed of digestion...you totally need even faster...now pay me."
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    JB035 wrote: »
    Suckas got me!!

You can also get rid of the BCAAs. They aren't even as effective as protein poweder and only needed if you are on a low pro diet.
  • monkeybusiness2104
    monkeybusiness2104 Posts: 47 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    1 time per day with post workout shake.

I use Karbolyn

I'm curious why you wouldn't you regard that as junk food?
    Isn't it mainly just a highly processed bunch of sugars?

@sijomial Dude don't trip....

I got one even better for you. If you can tell me why karbolyn is good post workout I'll tell you why I don't consider it a junk food.
    @JB035
    Trip? Sorry I'm a different generation from you and trip might mean something different to me! :)

I do understand why carbs (any carbs) are good post workout, although the importance timing is vastly over emphasised - that wasn't the question. I'm not anti sugar by way, my highly processed sugar/carb intake tends to be during very long bike rides though (carb gels etc.). I do prefer to eat "real food" as much as possible though.
    Was just surprised in the light of your opposition to junk food why you don't classify this supplement as junk as it's pretty much devoid of nutrition apart from energy.
    My point is we shouldn't settle for a poor plan just because we can make up for it in junk food.

A bit like the perennial what does clean eating mean discussions I'm confused what you regard as junk.

@sijomial
    Sorry I thought you were being smug.

"Karbolyn is a mixture of Potato, rice, and corn deliver both short-chain and long-chain carbohydrates. This blend of quick and slow-releasing energy gives an immediate boost bolstered by hours of energy following. Karbolyn is absorbed more quickly than dextrose or glucose, yet still provides sustained energy for more than two hours."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bodybuilding.com/amp-content/the-benefits-of-post-workout-carbohydrates.html

I'm not smart enough to fully explain it so if you have time read this check it out.

Where do you buy karbolyn??
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

I use Karbolyn

I got one even better for you. If you can tell me why karbolyn is good post workout I'll tell you why I don't consider it a junk food.
    @JB035
    Trip? Sorry I'm a different generation from you and trip might mean something different to me! :)

I do understand why carbs (any carbs) are good post workout, although the importance timing is vastly over emphasised - that wasn't the question. I'm not anti sugar by way, my highly processed sugar/carb intake tends to be during very long bike rides though (carb gels etc.). I do prefer to eat "real food" as much as possible though.
    Was just surprised in the light of your opposition to junk food why you don't classify this supplement as junk as it's pretty much devoid of nutrition apart from energy.
    My point is we shouldn't settle for a poor plan just because we can make up for it in junk food.

A bit like the perennial what does clean eating mean discussions I'm confused what you regard as junk.

@sijomial

"Karbolyn is a mixture of Potato, rice, and corn deliver both short-chain and long-chain carbohydrates. This blend of quick and slow-releasing energy gives an immediate boost bolstered by hours of energy following. Karbolyn is absorbed more quickly than dextrose or glucose, yet still provides sustained energy for more than two hours."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bodybuilding.com/amp-content/the-benefits-of-post-workout-carbohydrates.html

I'm not smart enough to fully explain it so if you have time read this check it out.

Why do you buy karbolyn??

ftfy ;)
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    edited March 2017
    @SideSteel

I see what you did there. Haha

• monkeybusiness2104
    monkeybusiness2104 Posts: 47 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »

I use Karbolyn

@JB035

@sijomial

ftfy ;)

I use Karbolyn

@JB035

@sijomial

ftfy ;)

Yea I have no idea what that acronym means.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

I use Karbolyn

@JB035

@sijomial

ftfy ;)

I use Karbolyn

@JB035

@sijomial

ftfy ;)

Ftfy=fixed that for you.
  • JB035

I use Karbolyn

@JB035

@sijomial

ftfy ;)

I use Karbolyn

@JB035

@sijomial

ftfy ;)

I had to google it. LOL
  • psuLemon
    Another thing to take into consideration is quality/efficacy of the product. While Karbolyn hasn't been tested, you can see a common thing regarding weight gainers/mass gainers from the below analysis. They are all at the bottom of the list, which means their quality is crap.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Another thing to take into consideration is quality/efficacy of the product. While Karbolyn hasn't been tested, you can see a common thing regarding weight gainers/mass gainers from the below analysis. They are all at the bottom of the list, which means their quality is crap.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

Very interesting... thankyou @psuLemon
  • JB035
    I'm not a fan of Gainer proteins either. They are full of fillers.
  • psuLemon

They at least have protein. Karbolyn doesn't.. It's pure fillers. If I want that, I will have a few servings of gummy bears. It's largely the same thing.
  • JB035

They at least have protein. Karbolyn doesn't.. It's pure fillers. If I want that, I will have a few servings of gummy bears. It's largely the same thing.

That's why I add it with protein. I'll have to give the whole gummy best deal a try though.

• psuLemon

That's why I add it with protein. I'll have to give the whole gummy best deal a try though.

When do you train? Is it near a meal? Because the latest science, is suggesting if you have pro either before or after, there might be a benefit but total intake still trumps all.

And i would look at labdoor.com. Inam pretty sure amp is towrads the bottom for quality.
  • JB035
    I eat all day... LOL
    I try to not eat too close to the time I'm going to lift, mainly because I don't want my body wasting energy messing with food while I'm trying to lift. But sometimes it happens, I'd rather be full and lift than hungry. Haha
    I do drink a protein shake with the Karbolyn after a workout usually with in the first 30 min or so. Then about an hour later I will eat my next meal for the day.
  • tomsids
    tomsids Posts: 7 Member
    I've never been a big eater in spite of my 6'6" frame. Adding liquid calories to meals makes it much easier for me to maintain weight and build muscle. I mentioned this in another thread, but I use myprotein's instant oats to add complex carbs to my protein shakes. It's almost an extra 400 calories and not too expensive.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    edited March 2017
    powercakessmFixed.jpg

Good stuff..
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Why anyone would choose to drink carbs rather than eat something is beyond me. Unless you are trying to consume 4000+ calories of bro food, there is no need for them.

I have somewhat of a small frame, I've been able to gain a decent amount of muscle size over the last 4 years or so, but for someone like me and I might not speak for everyone, it can be difficult to consume all the calories in food. Half the time I'm not hungry because I'm eating a little bit all throughout the day. Plus I'm somewhat picky when it comes to carbs, I like more fatty and protein types of foods like steak, I could eat all day, but starchy foods fill me up easily and I don't enjoy them as much, so I found Karbolic or Karbolyn whatever it's the same thing, but it's fruit punch flavored drink and it's got 50 grams of carbs according to the label, no actual sugar, and for me that's perfect because I don't want majority of my carbs to be from simple sugar carbs, so I do my best by eating oatmeal, whole grain cereal, whole grain bread, etc...I don't really like rice or potatoes unless they are prepared by an awesome chef lol. I see what you're saying but I just thought I'd give you another person's perspective of why some people end up choosing that route.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Have any of you successfully used a carb gainer powder with protien powder to gain weight? I'm looking at the Now foods brand. How often or how much do you need a day and how long did it take to gain? I want to gain about 5-10 lbs.

OP, as some might have said earlier, Karbolic made by Pro Supps is pretty good, it tastes great, like fruit punch, takes awhile to mix and need a lot of water to mix it well, but it's great for a quick 50 grams of non sugar based carbohydrates. I do one scoop most days depending on what I've eaten during the day. I try to go over my total carb amount that MFP lists, because muscles are starving for Carbohydrates, water, and protein, but people don't realize how important carbs actually play a role in the muscle building process. Only downside is it runs out quick and is pricey. There's another product out there made by the company NOW, but it tastes absolutely horrible, I literally almost puked after my first time drinking it, so I don't recommend that one, but it's less expensive than Karbolic. I normally try not to care about taste when it comes to this stuff, but I can't drink an entire glass of crap that tastes awful. I vote Karbolic fruit punch.
  • JB035
    _Bro wrote: »
    powercakessmFixed.jpg

Good stuff..

I bought some the other day but haven't made them yet.
    I put 4 eggs in 1 cup of mix together for a little extra protien in the cakes. (You don't have to add water or milk when you do this....)