Tips on gaining muscle for a woman!

Options
Thoughts and tips? I'm quite new to it! I'm training hard, but finding nutrition trickier!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    trickier how?
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I found that Cod fish oil helped me... like crazy. I didn't have to eat in surplus but I tried that cause everyone kept saying you had to eat more than you burned to pack on muscles.
    But most people will tell you to eat more than you burn. My coach is actually against that and says that if you're eating healthy you don't have to worry about calories or bulk/cut. The muscle will come if you just keep eating, work out and stick to healthy, clean food. (wish I had met my coach before I started a bulk lol)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    I found that Cod fish oil helped me... like crazy. I didn't have to eat in surplus but I tried that cause everyone kept saying you had to eat more than you burned to pack on muscles.
    But most people will tell you to eat more than you burn. My coach is actually against that and says that if you're eating healthy you don't have to worry about calories or bulk/cut. The muscle will come if you just keep eating, work out and stick to healthy, clean food. (wish I had met my coach before I started a bulk lol)

so your coach told you to recomp?
  • Gimsteinn
    Options

Yeah, I find it more effective than bulking.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

great, whatever works.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

The rate of muscle growth isn't faster in a recomp than a bulk. Bulks are the most optimal setting due to an energy surplus, which is different than being the most optimal for you. Glad it's working and it's a great solution for those who are afraid of fat gains or have other activities that require them to be lean.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    yayabeaks wrote: »
    Thoughts and tips? I'm quite new to it! I'm training hard, but finding nutrition trickier!

If you are ok with fat growth to achieve muscle growth, you can bulk by eating in a slight surplus and following a good progressive overload lifting program. If you are afraid or your nutrition is not good, try to set your calories at maintenance and follow a good progressive overload program. If you can't dial in your diet, than you will screw up results on both plans. But eating at maintenance or trying to, gives you less opportunity to just get fat.
  • Gimsteinn
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

The rate of muscle growth isn't faster in a recomp than a bulk. Bulks are the most optimal setting due to an energy surplus, which is different than being the most optimal for you. Glad it's working and it's a great solution for those who are afraid of fat gains or have other activities that require them to be lean.

That's why I said: "I find it more effective" not "It's more effective" ;)
    What works for me won't necessarily work for everyone as we're all different.
  • yayabeaks
    yayabeaks Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks. And cause I don't have much clue, by tricky I meant trying to eat all that protein but not wanting to get chubs haha. Your responses are very helpful!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I think for some females, especially just starting out.. recomp is a good approach especially if they are near or at their goal weight, not at their ideal BF% (but somewhat close) and want to grow a little and lose a little in different areas. In my case it would not have been enough, I was pretty lean (and under muscled) that recomp would not have been optimal for me, so it will definitely depend on your starting weight and body fat % and how much you want to grow.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I think for some females, especially just starting out.. recomp is a good approach especially if they are near or at their goal weight, not at their ideal BF% (but somewhat close) and want to grow a little and lose a little in different areas. In my case it would not have been enough, I was pretty lean (and under muscled) that recomp would not have been optimal for me, so it will definitely depend on your starting weight and body fat % and how much you want to grow.

I'd largely agree, especially if there is a fear of getting fat.

BTW OP, how much protein do you think you need? Most women I know, only need 100-120g while cutting, which is the most important time to have high amounts of protein (outside of satiety).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so basically you are recomping?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

That's why I said: "I find it more effective" not "It's more effective" ;)
    What works for me won't necessarily work for everyone as we're all different.

not really.

we all have three choices..

cut
    cut/bulk
    recomp

the process is the same for everyone it just depends on what the goal is.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

yayabeaks wrote: »
    Thanks. And cause I don't have much clue, by tricky I meant trying to eat all that protein but not wanting to get chubs haha. Your responses are very helpful!

Weigh your food, log your calories, eat a little less carbs & fat.
  • fretsnsoccer
    fretsnsoccer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Yayabeaks what is your weight currently and goals for "gaining muscle" do u know your fat composition currently as well?