Replies

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Lisa your poem made me cry, so beautiful

Kelly Joaquin is delicious, so precious

Happy Spring everyone, in honor of spring, I will be starting the pound of veggies challenge (which will include some fruit) and looking forward to it. I am happy that the sun is out longer, lifts my spirits.

NYKAREN
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Well, I'm not 50 ( I'm close 43) but I feel like I can be among friends here when I ask about weight loss ( or lack there of) and peri-menopause? Is it even possible? Been working it hard for over a month and have lost a whole 3.5 lbs. Usually goes much faster when I workout as much/hard as I am. I fear I need to pull up my granny panties and just get over it, right? This is aging....

If I should not post, go ahead and delete.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,747 Member
    goochinator ... all are welcome here! A great group of ladies with a lot of experience. Pull up a chair and tell us about yourself..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    edited March 2017
    Katla Happy Anniversary! Happy to hear you are out the danger zone for flooding!

You are also right that people are not always aware too much of a good thing can also stress your body! I think that is why I enjoy singing, gardening, walking, and laughing so much because they help me keep my balance.

:heart: Margaret
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Michele – Maybe Mars did not close; but, stopped making candy. I don’t normally have any reason to go down that far (into town, if I can help it). Yeah! March 22nd … good birthday for Jess and me to share! I’ll be “66”.

As for the mother of the groom; one of my good HS classmates had told her DD that she had picked out and dress and would she come over to give her approval. She came, and her face dropped, it was the same dress, just like she had picked out. So she had to go get another one. She was pretty pissed about it. Her SnL’s mother was one of those, ‘do it her way’, too.

Mallory once wrote me a letter talking about how much happier her mother was since she met Will; wished he could be ‘her’ boyfriend, but glad that he was her Mama’s.

Will, in 7th grade won a prize/trip to Washington DC for being a chosen by the Duke University Mathematical and Verbal Gifted Program. He took a lot of pictures and bought some books, and brought home a ‘gift’ for me. He has always been a thoughtful kid. His teacher said that he did everything he could to break the train of thought of the soldier guarding the Tomb of the Unknowns. Enjoyed going to Arlington and all the other ‘high points’.

Mallory won some sort of award that meant her Charter School would get around $10K … the 3rd in the state; and, 10 other kids from the school also made high marks. They (other kids) are going to Washington; and flying up there – but Tami was told that she could not be a chaperone; so Mallory is not going. With all that is going on around the area she isn’t going to put her 5th grader on a plane to go. Will agreed that she was too young; so when she is old enough, 7th or 8th grade so she will enjoy it. Besides, she has other things she has to raise money in order to do. Like 2 weeks of cheer camp. She is selling raffle tickets for a basket that Tami is making up of hair products and services. She is good at saving her money … any money she gets for birthdays or holidays she puts in her savings account.

Katla – And the currents are strong and very unpredictable. It takes a good Captain to navigate up and down it; always changing and working back and up and back down again and sandbars that change almost daily. I know growing up the Ocmulgee River (east side of the county I grew up in) was one that had a lot of whirlpools in certain places. We would go rafting in it, but, not just swimming. We always had a raft tied to our ankles so if we fell off we had something we could grab hold of. We would also go to the rock quarry and swim. I can’t remember where it was; but, somewhere in middle Georgia and pretty.

Sue – If you can try cutting back one soda a week, I think you might find you will be more successful. My DDnL#1 used to drink one or two sodas a DAY! Once she cut that out, her caffeine fix. She still drinks sodas, just not as much. I have not had a soft drink in almost 2 years. Now I will take a sip out of Louis’ and they almost make me nauseous.

Lisa – Enjoyed the ‘story/poem’ about Mama at sixty. I think I have grown so much the older I get. I am surely a whole lot wiser. It’s hard to know that some of that wisdom will probably never wear off when it needs to be.

Karen in Virginia – I was given a diaper service (was supposed to come every other day to take the ‘nasty’ one; and, fill the new ones. They did not come, after 7 days. I had bought some Huggies and told him to take the damn thing away and don’t bother coming back. I also remember the time my oldest sister dunked on in the toilet upstairs at my parents’ house; and, since I was the only one living at home at the time, I never thought to check to toilet; and, flushed it … can we say that I ‘ruined’ my parents’ new kitchen ceiling and lights? Daddy was not nearly as mad at me as he was my sister for leaving it in the toilet in the first place. WHOOPS!

I am having a 'brain fart' day ... if I don't write it down, right when I think about it ... can't remember to add it at the end. Oh well! Must not have been all that important.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    :#
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited March 2017
    Katla - I was actually saying that my weight had not crept up, much to my surprise, apart from one measly half pound. :D People keep telling me I'm looking skinny. :sad: I think they are just not used to people my age with a young figure. I am definitely not skinny. :noway: I can't be looking haggard as I'm also told I look well. I feel very well and got over my bad cold in a week, while DH has taken over two weeks. I've just ordered some more D3 gels and also some Turmeric and black pepper capsules which I haven't tried before. Thought I'd give it a go. Supposed to be good for cancer and inflammation like arthritis, which flares up occasionally. Can't hurt, anyway. :) I have been eating very well and had the odd drink, so I put my maintenance down to my 600 calorie a day exercise habit and, yes, I do eat back virtually all the calories. I couldn't be doing with a 1200 regime!!! :noway: Misery. :'( I lost all my 57 lbs eating back my calories, though it was s-l-o-w by the end. :laugh:
    You and I are so lucky to have found healthy habits and a way of life that has become second nature! :D I don't miss any of my old bad habits.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • cpopal6
    cpopal6 Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2017
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
    pa3nmw70nle8.jpg
    Bullwinkle
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2017
    Skyped with my middle son yesterday. Him seemed a bit melancholy. Like he was trying to be upbeat but his smiles never reaching his eyes. His life is on pause until wife gets out of the Navy this November. He is coping, but I know he struggles with purpose. Need to send him a card...
    Becca
    Oregon
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited March 2017
    kevrit wrote: »
    This is the month from hell!

Rita in CT

Oh Rita...

I am so sorry, Sugar.

I guess the only good news is, it's all up from here, right?

and Margaret!! I am so glad the music started the healing process.

Lots of hugs!

Re in TX
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    "When you are going through hell....keep going." Winston Churchill

NYKAREN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) "The Bootlegger's Daughter" by Margaret Maron was recommended by Lisa. I read it and liked it so much that I sought out the next two books in the series (there are more beyond that).

:)Katla, like you, I am not competitive. I count steps to motivate myself to stay active and I dance for fun, not to be better than anyone else. Bessie is still walking only a few blocks from home but she is happy going back and forth on those blocks. Sasha is a good sport and doesn't argue. After an hour or so, Bessie is ready to go home and I take Sasha to the rest of the neighborhood. Last night Bessie moved closer to me where I could reach out and pet her during the night. She is making slow and steady progress and I love her a lot. I'd post a picture but a black dog in a dark room doesn't photograph well.

:)Re, when I was teaching first grade we did a math project (estimating, counting, sorting, graphing) at Halloween with the single serving bags of M&Ms. The other teachers stored their candy in my room because they didn't want to be tempted to eat them. I could safely keep them as long as they were in sealed packages. I am powerless over a bowl of M&Ms and stay far away from them.

:)Heather, it sounds like you and your husband go on an "errand date" which is something that Gretchen Rubin shared on a podcast. Jake and I go out together on Saturday mornings to do several errands (post office, drug store, food shopping, and whatever else presents itself)

:smiley: I'm reading and writing while eating my lunch. Next I'll ride the exercise bike and knit until the dogs tell me they want to go for another walk.

<3 Barbie from mostly sunny NW Washington
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    For Rita...
    m6hktxn9tbtc.jpg
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

MicheleNC, OMG I am worn out just reading about all you will be doing in the days ahead.

Katla, I agree with you on “exploring trails and not entering competitions” and of course I don’t mean with horses. Lol At this point in my life I just want to enjoy it whatever that looks like at the moment.

Lisa, what a beautiful tribute to your mother.

Karen and Kelly, the baby pics are so heartwarming.

Kelly, I didn’t even look at the price of the polka dot dishes because I knew I couldn’t buy them. I just admired.

Rita and Margaret, so sorry to hear that you are having a rough time. Just remember we are all here for you.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I did go work out this morning pretty early and gosh was it crowded. While I was gone DH sold my friend’s car that we have been trying to sell since December. Woo Hoo Now I’m off to the Moose meeting so have to dash. I think of you ladies often like when I order dinner tonight. Thanks for staying with me to urge me to be good.
    Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Goochinator ~ You are welcome to come chat with us! :)

Katla ~ Happy 47th! We made it to 47 last August and just hope we make it to 50.

Lisa ~ Very nice poem as a tribute to mothers.

We made it to the Mexican restaurant today and I got my frozen Margarita. Came home and took a nap. :o Delicious food and felt good that I got the nachos but did not eat the chips. But, there was always the cheese dip before the food arrived. :/

Will get back to it on Tuesday.

Carol