Can you gain muscle if your loosing weight ?

Options

Replies

• GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    GymTennis wrote: »
    I actually think your question would be more precise as "can you gain muscle and lose fat" and than my previous answer would make more sense. Cause when you start to drop weight by forming a caloric deficit, you lose both muscle and fat, and at best, you can hope to retain as much muscle as possible by lifting weights

Even in a deficit, the OP may the ability to gain some muscle.

OP, can you gain muscle in a deficit... yea.. most people can, especially if they are new to resistance training/progressive overload training. Will you gain muscle... well unless you get DEXA scans, you won't actually know. So at best, follow a structure program, have a small or no deficit, get adequate protein, and just try to get stronger. Even if you do or don't gain muscle, it won't matter if you like how your body is shaping up.

I don't understand why you would feel the need to correct me. I've said nothing wrong. You just slightly extended on my answer yet revealed nothing new that I haven't said.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I actually think your question would be more precise as "can you gain muscle and lose fat" and than my previous answer would make more sense. Cause when you start to drop weight by forming a caloric deficit, you lose both muscle and fat, and at best, you can hope to retain as much muscle as possible by lifting weights

OP, can you gain muscle in a deficit... yea.. most people can, especially if they are new to resistance training/progressive overload training. Will you gain muscle... well unless you get DEXA scans, you won't actually know. So at best, follow a structure program, have a small or no deficit, get adequate protein, and just try to get stronger. Even if you do or don't gain muscle, it won't matter if you like how your body is shaping up.

I don't understand why you would feel the need to correct me. I've said nothing wrong. You just slightly extended on my answer yet revealed nothing new that I haven't said.

Because: "Cause when you start to drop weight by forming a caloric deficit, you lose both muscle and fat, and at best, you can hope to retain as much muscle as possible by lifting weights " is not always true.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Very simply, your body uses a caloric surplus to build, and needs a caloric deficit to lose. It's like saying "can I gain weight and lose weight at the same time" which doesn't make a lot of sense.

As others have said if you're new to lifting, you'll see some change in appearance and increased definition for sure, but you won't be packing on pounds of muscle while losing pounds of fat. I'm not sure that's your goal anyways.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    elfin168 wrote: »
    I think that you can loose fat and gain muscle at the same time however my (limited) understanding is that this is a slow process. I think it is recommended to focus on one or the other ie loosing fat or gaining muscle. When loosing weight (fat) is is a good idea to try to maintain the muscle that you have by eating an adequate amount of protein - and there have been studies on what this amount is. You can certainly increase your STRENGTH while losing weight if you include regular weight training and do not have to heavy an energy deficit.

And in addition, this (losing fat gaining muscle at the same time) usually has to be done while eating very close to your maintenance calories. (this is my understanding)

You would not see a scale weight reduction. You would stay the same weight, but your measurements would change. And when people say slow... they mean like years.

If you want to lose weight and fat, it's still good to lift weights while eating below maintenance as it encourages muscle retention. Otherwise, your body may actually lose a bit of muscle while you lose fat. Eating enough protein is also recommended.

I think when you're brand new to lifting, it is possible to gain a very small amount of muscle while losing weight, but that effect would probably wear off after about 2-4 months. At least that's what I've read. There's a lot of contradictory info on the internet and it's hard to distinguish sometimes.
  • GymTennis
    Options

Because: "Cause when you start to drop weight by forming a caloric deficit, you lose both muscle and fat, and at best, you can hope to retain as much muscle as possible by lifting weights " is not always true.

Please. Not "always" true. Do you think this girl is on steroids or knows what progressive overload is? Lol ok. I specifically mentioned the "beginners part" and when you drop from maintenance to an even moderate caloric deficit the chances you can build muscle are so small that shouldn't be discussed. What if you are a beginner on a large deficit? Can you still put muscle on? How much muscle are you talking about on a deficit for a beginner? A 100g. A kilo? Not always true. Please. I realize you are a moderator but you don't have to be vain.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Please. Not "always" true. Do you think this girl is on steroids or knows what progressive overload is? Lol ok. I specifically mentioned the "beginners part" and when you drop from maintenance to an even moderate caloric deficit the chances you can build muscle are so small that shouldn't be discussed. What if you are a beginner on a large deficit? Can you still put muscle on? How much muscle are you talking about on a deficit for a beginner? A 100g. A kilo? Not always true. Please. I realize you are a moderator but you don't have to be vain.

Vastly over-stated to claim people generally lose muscle in a deficit. Muscle simply isn't a preferred fuel source, it's incredibly inefficient to burn muscle for energy as compared to glycogen and fat.
    Sure you can lose muscle with an excessive deficit, getting lighter with no muscle stimulus or change in exercise, malnutrition etc. but it's erroneous to claim that's normal across a population.
    It's far from unusual for people to have a sensible deficit, increase their training stimulus and have an adequate diet whilst losing weight. Used to be called getting in shape - it was the expectation not the exception.

If you are already lean and near your genetic potential (body builder on a cut perhaps?) then the situation is different - but that applies to a tiny minority of the general population (who often tend to be under-trained and over-fat) as opposed to the "serious lifter" demographic.

BTW - I've never taken PEDs and have gained muscle many times in a deficit throughout my training lifetime.
    Young and perhaps better than average genetics.
    Recovering from injury (3" increase in quads and lost 14lbs...)
    Novel training stimulus.
    Returning to previous training levels.
    Tiny deficit and hard training.
    Improved programming/training.

In the end most people will generally agree on the methods to obtain the personal best possible individual results and whether that means more/less/same muscle for that individual is a pretty pointless exercise.

• GymTennis
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Vastly over-stated to claim people generally lose muscle in a deficit. Muscle simply isn't a preferred fuel source, it's incredibly inefficient to burn muscle for energy as compared to glycogen and fat.
    Sure you can lose muscle with an excessive deficit, getting lighter with no muscle stimulus or change in exercise, malnutrition etc. but it's erroneous to claim that's normal across a population.
    It's far from unusual for people to have a sensible deficit, increase their training stimulus and have an adequate diet whilst losing weight. Used to be called getting in shape - it was the expectation not the exception.

If you are already lean and near your genetic potential (body builder on a cut perhaps?) then the situation is different - but that applies to a tiny minority of the general population (who often tend to be under-trained and over-fat) as opposed to the "serious lifter" demographic.

BTW - I've never taken PEDs and have gained muscle many times in a deficit throughout my training lifetime.
    Novel training stimulus.

In the end most people will generally agree on the methods to obtain the personal best possible individual results and whether that means more/less/same muscle for that individual is a pretty pointless exercise.

Thank you kind Sir. I don't know why you would quote me either. I was writing in very loose terms in all my posts. When I said lose muscle I didn't exactly mean it's gonna run off around the corner. When you are in a constant deficit your body thinks you are going to die and will do anything to prevent that or slow it down. It is all our knowledge on nutrition and training that turn that process in to nice looking, muscular, lean bodies. Do I have to put my bathroom selfie as my profile pic so you guys stop trying to teach me something? This forum is full of "experts" who don't hesitate to rub their expertise in your face.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Please leave me being a moderator out of the conversation. My moderator status has no implication on your over my ability to debate a topic.

As @sijomial already pointed out, you made a sweeping generalization. A person has the ability to store 300 to 500g of glycogen and unlimited potential of storing fat as energy. Considering both of these are primary sources, it is unlikely that the body would convert proteins for energy sources.

And there are a lot of variables that come into play when it comes to how much and if muscle is gained. Just like it would to have the ability to lose muscle (not LBM) during a deficit. The majority of studies that I have seen to suggest muscle loss are; low in protein, no exercise or only light cardio and in elderly (usually followed with low protein). If you have moderate protein (as little as .6g/lb of lbm) and even some exercise (a stimulus that probably wasn't previously there), you will put yourself in a situation to at least maintaining it.
  • GymTennis
    Options

Please leave me being a moderator out of the conversation. My moderator status has no implication on your over my ability to debate a topic.

As @sijomial already pointed out, you made a sweeping generalization. A person has the ability to store 300 to 500g of glycogen and unlimited potential of storing fat as energy. Considering both of these are primary sources, it is unlikely that the body would convert proteins for energy sources.

And there are a lot of variables that come into play when it comes to how much and if muscle is gained. Just like it would to have the ability to lose muscle (not LBM) during a deficit. The majority of studies that I have seen to suggest muscle loss are; low in protein, no exercise or only light cardio and in elderly (usually followed with low protein). If you have moderate protein (as little as .6g/lb of lbm) and even some exercise (a stimulus that probably wasn't previously there), you will put yourself in a situation to at least maintaining it.

Thanks DEXA scans. Lol
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Yes it is very well possible. I'm a living proof of that.

I started out at 95 kg in the fall 2015.. now I'm 60 kg and I've got a decent amount of strength and muscles.
    People will tell you that you can't do it and that you have to choice either one, muscle gain or fat loss. They'll tell you that it's hard and that it takes a lot of time but that's not true. It hasn't taken a lot of time for me and I keep gaining yet I don't lose any weight anymore but my fat % goes down and my muscles get more visible each day.

Just eat good clean food, weigh it.. even try something like Zone and work out hard wile at it. It's not that hard to be honest.. it's only hard the first few months.. then it becomes natural and soon you can't live without your workouts or food.

• sijomial
    Options

Novel training stimulus.

Thank you kind Sir. I don't know why you would quote me either. I was writing in very loose terms in all my posts. When I said lose muscle I didn't exactly mean it's gonna run off around the corner. When you are in a constant deficit your body thinks you are going to die and will do anything to prevent that or slow it down. It is all our knowledge on nutrition and training that turn that process in to nice looking, muscular, lean bodies. Do I have to put my bathroom selfie as my profile pic so you guys stop trying to teach me something? This forum is full of "experts" who don't hesitate to rub their expertise in your face.

I quoted you because I fundamentally disagree about your statement about inevitability of muscle loss - nothing more complex that that.
    To quote Lenin - "A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
    If misinformation is allowed to go unchallenged it just adds to the mountain of bro science.

Your body also doesn't "think it's going to die" just because you are in a deficit. It doesn't have any sense of self and doesn't have the ability to know if you are in a deficit or not - we don't have an inbuilt TDEE calculator. Even if your body somehow knew it was at TDEE -1 basic physiology doesn't change. Deficit and your body's reaction to that deficit is a continuum not a switch.

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it is difficult. You could focus more on muscle definition and how toned you *look* because obviously as you lose weight and fat you will have a lower body fat percentage, especially if you strength train. Strength train while you diet and your body will be more likely to reflect what you seem to want in your figure.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Yes, but it is difficult. You could focus more on muscle definition and how toned you *look* because obviously as you lose weight and fat you will have a lower body fat percentage, especially if you strength train. Strength train while you diet and your body will be more likely to reflect what you seem to want in your figure. Rather than just gaining muscle, you will begin to see the muscle you have now as you lose fat and then you can work on gaining more muscle once you are near your goal weight.

• GymTennis
    Options

Novel training stimulus.

I quoted you because I fundamentally disagree about your statement about inevitability of muscle loss - nothing more complex that that.
    If misinformation is allowed to go unchallenged it just adds to the mountain of bro science.

Your body also doesn't "think it's going to die" just because you are in a deficit. It doesn't have any sense of self and doesn't have the ability to know if you are in a deficit or not - we don't have an inbuilt TDEE calculator. Even if your body somehow knew it was at TDEE -1 basic physiology doesn't change. Deficit and your body's reaction to that deficit is a continuum not a switch.

Oh really? Why don't you tell that to the victims of concentration camps if a prolonged deficit doesn't lead to starvation and death eventually if pushed to the very limit. Do they build muscle if they do push ups on a piece of bread daily? You guys are amazing. The OP girl made a simple question and the solution is as simple as 1,2,3 for her being a beginner. She is not a professional, has limited knowledge on this, she's not on steroids. So when I answered in layman terms all she needed to know for a start you God given experts attack us 'bros'. If she just stayed on maintenance calories like I said in my first post she would build muscle and lose fat. If she goes to a deficit she can make little muscle or stay happy to retain. She's a woman if you haven't noticed. For Christ's sake How much muscle do you think she can build on a deficit with no lifting experience?

I think you should reconsider your behavior at this forum. It is embarrassing that I should teach you basic manners at your age. Did it occur to you to ask me to explain what I meant in my posts more precisely and then debate with me instead of going straight to lecture me. I seriously doubt Sir that you have more education or sport and training experience than me. Moreover, I think you are trying to impose on us as though you have some credentials that, in reality, you are far removed from. Anybody can google for information nowadays and watch youtube videos. It doesn't make you an expert to regurgitate others information just because you sense it's valid.

And it's not even a matter if she would build some muscle or retain for sure lifting on a deficit. It's you guys that feel the need to pitch in with some terminology and theories that causes nothing but paralysis by analysis for the likes of OP. And for what? To be the Robin Hood of the fitness community and save the innocent from us bros giving out "bad information". Or that somebody would think you're a smart. Lol. It's ridiculous.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good luck eating what you enjoy in moderation and beginning a new fitness journey! If your strength is going up, it is a good indicator that you're gaining muscle, and if you're not losing weight but are losing inches off your midsection, arms, legs or wherever, then you're probably losing fat. Don't be discouraged by short-term fluctuations, just track accurately, workout consistently, and assess weekly or monthly, tweaking where necessary incrementally :)
  • GymTennis
    Options
    Dofflin wrote: »
    Good luck eating what you enjoy in moderation and beginning a new fitness journey! If your strength is going up, it is a good indicator that you're gaining muscle, and if you're not losing weight but are losing inches off your midsection, arms, legs or wherever, then you're probably losing fat. Don't be discouraged by short-term fluctuations, just track accurately, workout consistently, and assess weekly or monthly, tweaking where necessary incrementally :)

Thank you. Amen
  • sijomial
    Options

Novel training stimulus.

Oh really? Why don't you tell that to the victims of concentration camps if a prolonged deficit doesn't lead to starvation and death eventually if pushed to the very limit. Do they build muscle if they do push ups on a piece of bread daily? You guys are amazing. The OP girl made a simple question and the solution is as simple as 1,2,3 for her being a beginner. She is not a professional, has limited knowledge on this, she's not on steroids. So when I answered in layman terms all she needed to know for a start you God given experts attack us 'bros'. If she just stayed on maintenance calories like I said in my first post she would build muscle and lose fat. If she goes to a deficit she can make little muscle or stay happy to retain. She's a woman if you haven't noticed. For Christ's sake How much muscle do you think she can build on a deficit with no lifting experience?

I think you should reconsider your behavior at this forum. It is embarrassing that I should teach you basic manners at your age. Did it occur to you to ask me to explain what I meant in my posts more precisely and then debate with me instead of going straight to lecture me. I seriously doubt Sir that you have more education or sport and training experience than me. Moreover, I think you are trying to impose on us as though you have some credentials that, in reality, you are far removed from. Anybody can google for information nowadays and watch youtube videos. It doesn't make you an expert to regurgitate others information just because you sense it's valid.

And it's not even a matter if she would build some muscle or retain for sure lifting on a deficit. It's you guys that feel the need to pitch in with some terminology and theories that causes nothing but paralysis by analysis for the likes of OP. And for what? To be the Robin Hood of the fitness community and save the innocent from us bros giving out "bad information". Or that somebody would think you're a smart. Lol. It's ridiculous.

Wow!

I'm happy to debate but that requires an open mind rather than silly comparisons between a moderate deficit and poor souls in concentration camps. Debate also means responding to what is written rather than hyperbole and a vivid imagination. There's really is no need to be so dramatic.

If you make inaccurate sweeping statements they will get challenged, that's part of what forums are for. Any lack of precision is on you not me.
    I wont respond further to save derailing this thread. Have a nice day.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Novel training stimulus.

Why are you always so defensive? Do you always argue when people make corrections to what you suggest? If anyone has poor behavior, it's not @sijomail or myself. The whole premise of having a "discussion" board is to have a discussion regarding specific topics. If you do not like, or are uncomfortable with people making corrections to generalizations, than this might not be for you.

And if you are in the field, than you may want to act like a professional. At this point, calling everyone bro's and making comments like the bold is poor behavior and not a good reflection on yourself. Honestly, is that how you treat people in your profession?
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can but it will seem like an ummm..."slower" process like scale wise when it in fact isn't. I fell in love with kettlebell before I got sick. When I started doing kettlebell I noticed right away i seemed to lose more "weight" yet has that beautiful muscle. I suggest kettlebell then if you want to weight train after that do so. I swear by kettlebell and dont have enough to say about it.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have a theory that there is corollary to Godwin's law that states that any thread about gaining muscle while losing weight will converge to reductio ad concentratum campus with a median of less than 100 posts.