Any moms in their 40 in here?

vnukinga
vnukinga Posts: 130 Member
Hello,

I wonder how many moms in their 40 do we have in this group.
I'm a mom of two (40 years old), 5'2" and currently 119.4 lbs
I wonder how other moms balance work, family duties and find time for workouts and diet adjustments?
Let's hear from you!
Have a fantastic day!
:smile:

Replies

• aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Hi

I'm 43 and mum to 2 teenage girls.
    I've just started cycling to work in January (which is Summer here in NZ) and that is really helping with my shape if not so much with the weight. It's a great way for me to exercise as once I get home in the evenings and have fed the family my motivation to exercise is pretty low. My challenge is to continue now it's getting dark in the mornings.

• vnukinga
    Hello,
    Thank you for replying!
    I have a 7 and 9 year old. I do yoga in the morning and then jogging/walking in the afternoon. Right now the weather here is pretty cold (WI) but as soon as the temperature goes up I'm planning on riding my bike again.
    Greetings!
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Hey there,
    I'm 42 and a mom to three kidlets (4-11). I break up my workouts into three parts: I do the treadmill in the am, after I send the oldest two on the bus but before the youngest gets up. Then sometime before dinner, I'll do weights. Then just before bed, I'll do whichever challenge I'm doing that month ( this month it's an splits challenge). My office is at home and I do freelance so I am usually a little flexible but since I am a mom and a freelancer, I never really know what coming at me that day. Breaking my workout up assures that even on the busiest day, I usually get something in. As to meal planning, the kids eat what I eat, protein, salad and a vegetable or two. If they finish their dinner, they get desert. I never get deserts (unless you count a glass of wine, which I do!). And I always finish my dinner. Haha.
  • vnukinga
    Lol! Yes! Always finish your dinner!
  • vnukinga
    edited March 2017
    Oh dear, I typed in a lengthy reply and it disappeared!
    I was typing on my phone and it only posted the first sentence both times...
    Anyway, as I was trying to write before: I am excited to meet other active moms here and wish all of us the best of luck!
    :smile:

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    Yes, mother of a just-3 and a nearly-5, and about to turn 43. I run - when my husband is home in the afternoon or evening, plus a long run on a Sunday morning. Also yoga - used to be once a week in the evening but now that my youngest is at kindy I get a second class on a Wednesday morning, which is fantastic. I also work from home which gives me a lot of flexibility as to when I work, when I exercise and when I do the housework!
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    I'm 44 and we have a 9 year old and a10 year old.
    I balance work/home just the same way as my husband does. Whoever is home first does the dinner, between us we do the drops/collections of children and in the weekends we give the house a clean. And whenever we find time, we try to squeeze in a workout (me more than him, come to think of it, he prefers the couch!).
  • vnukinga
    Hello,
    I'm working part time in the office 4 days a week and also some evenings and a few hours on weekends as the church pianist/choir director. I cook dinner most of the nights during the week and my husband covers the weekends. It's a nice schedule, allows me to take care of the kiddos (drop off and pick up at school, homework check, etc.) We recently got a treadmill which works tremendously since it's too cold (for me at least) to run outside. I have my daughter training for her first 5K. We have something that's a called a "Run for bacon". It takes place in July in the park across the street from us. I have been participating in it for a few years but just for the fun of the run since I don't care for bacon. My daughter loves to eat it so I have been giving her my shares (she waits for me at the bacon station, LOL!) and the post run meal which is made with bacon of course. She really wants to run with me. I secretly suspect that it's so she can have her own share of the bacon food , not so much for the love of running, hehehe....but, whatever works and get her moving! I hope that in the spring she will be able to join me on the trail.
    :)
  • kriskat46
    kriskat46 Posts: 3 Member
    HI!! I am a 45 year old mom of 3 girls - 14, 11 & 7. I am a stay home mom but trying to get into teaching pilates since i am certified. I recently had a prophylactic mastectomy with reconstruction so my exercise has been limited. I started spinning and doing pure barre. I'm having a hard time getting my food on track. Would love to hear how you guys balance it. I would love to start taking yoga too but not sure where to start!!!
  • vnukinga
    Hello,
    I am doing yoga at home. In the past I took it at the fitness center but since it has closed I am relying on myself or sometimes will find a class on youtube
    I like Adrienne classes, here is the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene
    best of luck to you and a speedy healing!
  • Tryingtogetfitdeb
    Tryingtogetfitdeb Posts: 294 Member
    I'm not 40 yet, I've just turned 39 this week, but I'm a Mam to a 4.5 year old and nearly 3 year old, I also work 3 12 hour shifts per week. I try to eat as healthy as I can, but do cheat sometimes especially if I'm really tired. I'm trying to exercise 3-4 times per week on the evenings when I'm not working, with our kids being so young we workout when they go to bed.
    I do find the juggling quite difficult, but am feeling determined to lose a few pounds to feel better about myself.
    Good luck xx
  • tinebeunens
    tinebeunens Posts: 1 Member
    I'm 36 (37 coming up), mum to a 5 and 7 year old boy. I work as a teacher and do most pickups and dropoffs, homework check, dinner during the week. My husband manages to prioritize his sporting way more than me. I try to workout 3 times a week in the morning ( I have two mornings off + Saturday), but have not been succeeding lately because of too much work. I work out with weights and row (machine at home) and basic leg/stomach exercises.
  • Yvonnegogi
    Yvonnegogi Posts: 16 Member
    Hi, I'm a mom of 4. Ages 7-22 have a 2 year old grandbaby. I homeschool my youngest. I walk in the am, and after supper. I also started doing hiit work outs here and there. As time allows. Before bed I'll life 3-5 pound weights for arms. Trying to get everything balanced but it's difficult. But feel better after excercise.
  • vnukinga
    Welcome ladies!
    So great to meet you!
    Best luck on your journey.
  • jacki1976
    jacki1976 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm a 41 year old mom of two boys. One is soon to be 18 and the younger one is 15. I also work as a lunch lady at their school so fortunately, I get off work at 2:00 every day which gives me plenty of time to exercise. I use to be a runner but got very burned out with it and I walk 5 days a week now. At least two of those days I do Walk Away the Pounds which doesn't sound like much but it's actually a much better workout than just walking outside (which I really love to do on nice days).

I am 5'1 and, as of a week ago, I weigh 131.5. I started out back in January at 137 so I've lost a little but I've still got 6.5 more to lose and then I'm going to assess whether or not I want to lose more. This is the smallest I've been since I got pregnant for the first time so I've at least accomplished that.

• vnukinga
    Welcome Jacki!
  • pigwig13
    pigwig13 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi, I'm a 46 year old mum to 3 kids (nearly 11, nearly 9 & nearly7). I do weight training 4 days a week in the morning when they are at school and try to fit a couple of home workouts in during the week too. I'm planning on starting to jog when the night's get lighter and drier (early spring here in the UK so dark & dismal still). Nice to meet you all ☺
  • vnukinga
    Welcome!
  • Booksandoceans
    Booksandoceans Posts: 38 Member
    I'm a 39-year-old single mom to a 4 year old. Literally all my time is at work or with him. Lots of walks, sometimes he rides his bicycle while I walk, adventures, and playtime for exercise.

I am five feet eight and 137 pounds most days with rare days of being 135 to 138.
  • vnukinga
    Great to have you joining us!