Keto diet

Does anyone have experience with this type of body building diet.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    In my experience, keto sucks horribly for bulking. SKD made me fat and weak. CKD helped with the strength, but still made me fat. I am actually able to put in far more kcals on a standardish 35/40/25 (p/c/f) outlay, and my lifting sessions, overall energy and gains are always better.

Your mileage may vary though, as some people do response well to keto bulks. I'm just not one of them. I still end up in ketosis when cutting, which is where I believe it's strongest place is.
  • LivePrayer
    LivePrayer Posts: 4 Member
    I am very new at the keto diet it seems to be working but I have low T and I am not on a replacement and being the case I am worried I will begin to suffer more than help myself. This is my dilemma
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    That I can't speak for. I've never had any reason to get bloods done, so I haven't the slightest clue what my test/lh/fsh/e2, etc. levels are at.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    From my understanding, fat is more of a driver for Testosterone, so if anything it won't hurt you. But the lack of carbs will make it harder to gain muscle since carbs are anticatabolic. Most of the studies I have seen would suggest that keto is protein sparing but not as beneficial for muscle growth.

Anecdotally, i worked with a client using a TKD with fairly good success (so far) but she was a complete noob to lifting, so that is what I largely attribute her success to.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    LivePrayer wrote: »
    I am very new at the keto diet it seems to be working but I have low T and I am not on a replacement and being the case I am worried I will begin to suffer more than help myself. This is my dilemma

Diet and lifestyle can help raise testosterone slightly however if you have been diagnosed with low T and it affects your day to day life, I would advise looking at TRT.
  • LivePrayer
    LivePrayer Posts: 4 Member
    I'm seeing some good fats fall off but it really does feel like I am losing structural size, I'm going to give this a couple more weeks and then go back to carbs and I do have a TRT script that I have to get
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    One of my good friends swears by it but I couldn't personally hack the restriction of carbs. As is they're pretty low cause I'm cutting.