Lower body ideas

gradchica27
gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
I just got a few stitches in my upper arm and my doctor is adamant that I not do anything to tear out the stitches--so no lifting with my arms, not even yoga, not even holding a bar in my shoulders that someone else put there (yep, floated that work around and got shot down). I usually lift full body three times a week (NROLFW) and lighter/accessory work twice a week, so I'm getting twitchy just thinking about 2 weeks "off".

So ideas on what to do for my two weeks of enforced lifting break besides a ton of cardio? As long as I'm not directly using the arm I'm good--so body weight lunges/squats...what else?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Machine work.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Bulgarian Split Squats, Pistols (single leg squat)....
  • gradchica27
    @JB035 , Ugh, yes, even without a plate, those will do it.

Just trying to see if there's anything I wouldn't have thought of/haven't done yet, since I'm still relatively new to lifting (almost a year, but I mostly stick to big compound lifts that obviously need me to hold/shoulder a weight).
  • BodyByYouChicago
    BodyByYouChicago Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2017
    GradChica,

I would definitely incorporate squats (if holding the bar is okay for your arm), leg press with various foot placement, hamstring curls (seated or lying), and definitely bulgarian split squats.

Try this for bulgarian split squats:

Do 3 sets of 8, increasing weight each set.
    On your 3rd set, after doing 8 reps, lower your leg only 3/4 of the way and hold it there for 8 seconds (isohold).
    Then immediately drop to the last weight you used, and repeat. Do 8 reps, then drop only 3/4 of the way down and hold for 8 seconds.
    Then do the same for the first weight you used.

I guarantee this, if done properly, will be awesome. Incorporate this and your legs are guaranteed to see some results!

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • gradchica27
    @BodyByYouChicago , thanks! Unfortunately for the next two weeks I can't hold anything (even he bar on my shoulders) bc of the stitches. I may be able to hold a plate for the split squats with my other arm and just use the injured one to stabilize, but we'll see. I'll definitely try those once I can use my arm again. Not being able to lift is killing me already.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    https://bodylastics.com/exercises/squats-with-resistance-bands/

Some of these you can do. Resistance bands will work your butt off!