Are protein shakes considered supplements?

Options
I've been an avid promoter of not taking supplements to show "it's not necessary" and it saves me money! I do not buy protein powders, take diet pills, vitamin pills, or anything bodybuilders typically use, promote and sell for profit. I've been getting all of my nutrition from eating my vegetables and will blend up smoothies using raw veggies too.

However, I've been curious about trying out some protein powders to see what kind of benefits, if any, they will have for me besides time in building more muscle but this would go against my "no supplements rule" and trust me, I will get so much smack talk from my friends who subscribe to all kinds of diets and supplements. Whenever I see someone getting fit on their own but then, start to promote and sell products, this just changes my entire mindset that they are just doing it for the $$$ now and I don't want to come off like that because I really do stay in shape without requiring supplements.

So, my question is, am I right or wrong that protein powders are considered supplements?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is the inherent problem with labeling. It's a trade off of convenience. I use protein powder as it is convenient, easy, low calorie, and specifically helps me hit my protein intake goals. Sure I could do the same with lean beef or chicken breasts, but this adds variety and easily transportable.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! When I think about it more, I agree with you all and don't consider it a supplement if it's just a meal without any unnatural performance enhancing ingredients in liquid form. I think the issue for me is always trying to keep cost low and not wanting to be labeled or promote any unnatural products. I used to buy all kinds of products like my friends did many years ago and switched to plant based 3 years ago and now they doubt I'm not doing anything else but now I want to get bigger and I know as soon as I even consider adding protein powder, I have to start hearing "I knew it"! What else are you doing!
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I mean. Most people use it to supplement their protein needs in an easy convenient way. Especially if your calorie and protein needs are high, pretty easy to just chug down a shake.

But I wouldn't put it in the same class as say creatine or BCAAs.

Most protein powders have some element of BCAA's in them. And it's promoted on the labels as BCAA's are found in most protein sources i.e. chicken, beef, protein wheys, etc.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »
    Thank you all for the feedback! When I think about it more, I agree with you all and don't consider it a supplement if it's just a meal without any unnatural performance enhancing ingredients in liquid form. I think the issue for me is always trying to keep cost low and not wanting to be labeled or promote any unnatural products. I used to buy all kinds of products like my friends did many years ago and switched to plant based 3 years ago and now they doubt I'm not doing anything else but now I want to get bigger and I know as soon as I even consider adding protein powder, I have to start hearing "I knew it"! What else are you doing!

protein powder can help you get more protein in but to get bigger you need a surplus of calories and a heavy progressive lifting program. protein alone wont cause muscles to grow.Oh and who cares what others think? you do you and let them do them.if you want to use protein powder then go ahead
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    fidycixer wrote: »
    I mean. Most people use it to supplement their protein needs in an easy convenient way. Especially if your calorie and protein needs are high, pretty easy to just chug down a shake.

Most protein powders have some element of BCAA's in them. And it's promoted on the labels as BCAA's are found in most protein sources i.e. chicken, beef, protein wheys, etc.

Curious - can you point to any specific protein shake that doesn't have leucine, isoleucine and valine in it?
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Curious - can you point to any specific protein shake that doesn't have leucine, isoleucine and valine in it?

Exactly. I don't consider these supplements as they are naturally occurring amino acids.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I'd say they are a supplement. What you can get from whole foods, but don't and SUPPLEMENT it to meet those goals...................well is a supplement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    As an aside, you might look at this as a lesson in the pitfalls of painting yourself into an ideological corner. When it comes to most subjects--dietary, political, etc--there are few black/white situations. Most of our issues are not binary--they exist on a continuum and each person picks the point on the line where they feel most comfortable. One point is not necessarily better or superior to another-they are just different.

Except for cleanses. Those are all bad.

Thought your wrote "Except for CLEANLINESS"....had to re-read...I was like "WHAT?!?!" LOL And I agree. There is no perfect answer that fits all people exactly the right way. Constant adjustment and reassessment is necessary for pretty much everyone.
  • rawroy
    Options

This is the one I'm trying and it looks natural to me...

hyem2zogoa4m.gif

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't call protein powder a supplement. Taking it doesn't 'enhance' anything for me, it simply helps me reach my protein goal everyday.

So you "supplement" your protein goal with protein powder, but protein powder isn't a supplement?

verb
    ˈsʌplɪmɛnt,sʌplɪˈmɛnt/
    add an extra element or amount to.

"she took the protein powder to supplement her protein intake"

synonyms: augment, increase, add to, boost, swell, amplify, enlarge, make larger/bigger/greater; top up, round off, complete; widen, broaden, expand.

Protein powder when taken for dietary reasons, and not to paint the garden fence with, is a dietary supplement.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I wouldn't call protein powder a supplement. Taking it doesn't 'enhance' anything for me, it simply helps me reach my protein goal everyday.

So you "supplement" your protein goal with protein powder, but protein powder isn't a supplement?

verb
    ˈsʌplɪmɛnt,sʌplɪˈmɛnt/
    add an extra element or amount to.

"she took the protein powder to supplement her protein intake"

synonyms: augment, increase, add to, boost, swell, amplify, enlarge, make larger/bigger/greater; top up, round off, complete; widen, broaden, expand.

Protein powder when taken for dietary reasons, and not to paint the garden fence with, is a dietary supplement.

By this definition, so is chicken, and broccoli, and potatoes, and well, anything else you put in your face. Hence, the whole thing is pointless.

It's all semantics of course, but I'd say they were the core dietary items that are being supplemented with the protein powder.

I buy protein powder to supplement the core items of my diet, so the protein powder supplements the chicken, potatoes, broccoli etc.

However, I'm sure if your core dietary component was protein powder and you had a chicken breast or two a day, it'd be the chicken breast in the role of supplement.

But in most cases I'd wager protein powder is being used to supplement other things.
  • rawroy
    Options
    Maybe it should be called a substitute or replacement because basically, it's taken as a meal replacement as opposed to eating that much food right? At least it seems like most people use it as a meal replacement for the convenience and nutritional benefits. Aside from the caffeinated, hormonal, performance enhancing or unnatural preservatives and additives that some contain. I guess it's hard to get all the nutritional value too so it does have supplemental vitamins and nutrients we all don't normally eat to obtain. That's a good thing.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »

This is the one I'm trying and it looks natural to me...

hyem2zogoa4m.gif

Plant based proteins have some of the same naturally occurring essential amino acids as wheys. It really doesn't matter if the protein is coming from soy, whey, beef, peas, quinoa....if it has protein...it has amino acids. leucine and valine are just two of the essential amino acids. found in all types of plants and animals that are consumed by humans. In my opinion no different than the zinc, chromium, copper, and other minerals that are naturally occurring and in the label you posted.

I mean we might be splitting hairs at this point.

https://healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-valine-foods.php

8qtzdhagdav8.jpg