Are protein shakes considered supplements?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    rawroy wrote: »
    Maybe it should be called a substitute or replacement because basically, it's taken as a meal replacement as opposed to eating that much food right? At least it seems like most people use it as a meal replacement for the convenience and nutritional benefits. Aside from the caffeinated, hormonal, performance enhancing or unnatural preservatives and additives that some contain. I guess it's hard to get all the nutritional value too so it does have supplemental vitamins and nutrients we all don't normally eat to obtain. That's a good thing.

My protein powders I've used are about 100 calories each serving. That isn't in any way shape or form a meal replacement.

*rolls eyes*

So you think 100 calories of protein with very little additional nutrition is a meal replacement? Roll eyes too, great contribution to the discussion.
    ketomaniac wrote: »
    I'd go with grass fed whey protein isolate, it contains all essential amino acids and has great digestibility. It will help you lose weight, feel satiated, stabilize blood sugar levels, blood pressure, reduce inflammation (by reducing circulating c reactive proteins) and boost up your glutathione, the mother of all antioxidants.

That's some magical AF stuff there.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    The real question is, does it really matter?

Your reasoning behind the question is because you want to prove a point that you can achieve X without taking supplements. Ultimately it is just milk powder........
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

Your reasoning behind the question is because you want to prove a point that you can achieve X without taking supplements. Ultimately it is just milk powder........

So my powdered goat milk is a supplement? Nooooooo.

But I don't wanna pay 3x more for the volume equivalent in a carton. /sadfacestuckwithsupplements
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    rawroy wrote: »
    I've been an avid promoter of not taking supplements to show "it's not necessary" and it saves me money! I do not buy protein powders, take diet pills, vitamin pills, or anything bodybuilders typically use, promote and sell for profit. I've been getting all of my nutrition from eating my vegetables and will blend up smoothies using raw veggies too.

However, I've been curious about trying out some protein powders to see what kind of benefits, if any, they will have for me besides time in building more muscle but this would go against my "no supplements rule" and trust me, I will get so much smack talk from my friends who subscribe to all kinds of diets and supplements. Whenever I see someone getting fit on their own but then, start to promote and sell products, this just changes my entire mindset that they are just doing it for the $$$ now and I don't want to come off like that because I really do stay in shape without requiring supplements.

So, my question is, am I right or wrong that protein powders are considered supplements?

I do think that it is a supplement.
    I don't think it is bad if you want to use a protein powder to help meet your goals if they are high. If your protein goal is pretty average I'd wonder why you couldn't just eat regular food and meet the goal.
    I have never used a protein powder. My goal is easily attainable through normal diet choices for me so there is no need. I also don't like drinking my calories so don't like smoothies or shakes in general.
  • SashEdwards
    SashEdwards Posts: 78 Member
    Not to stir the pot here, but I think the conversation is really a he said she said that I believe isn't going to get anyone anywhere nor any farther ahead. We are all going to have our opinions, but at the end of the day, because this is such a grey area with no definitive "right" answer, one can really skew the facts in any way shape or form to validate their point of view and opinion on the subject. I guess my point is OP, whatever you believe to be the right thing then is the right thing for you - regardless of what anyone else may think or say.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    edited March 2017
    Easiest way to tell is to look at the back and see it it's labeled with "Nutrition Facts" or "Supplement Facts."

ETA - Protein shakes can fall into either category depending on their ingredients and the FDA Generally Regarded As Safe list.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2017

Your right, I wanted to be able to prove that we can be healthy without having to spend money on and take supplements and I know I can achieve that but sometimes it's not practical in our busy lives and when I think about it more, all of our processed foods have fortified nutrients so basically, we are all supplementing our diets one way or another. I think the benefit of us challenging ourselves is that it forces us to learn more about nutrition, read labels and know where our food is coming from so we can make more informed decisions about our health.

These responses have given me some valuable insight! I appreciate all the views!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    captbklee wrote: »
    Easiest way to tell is to look at the back and see it it's labeled with "Nutrition Facts" or "Supplement Facts."

ETA - Protein shakes can fall into either category depending on their ingredients and the FDA Generally Regarded As Safe list.

exactly! musclemilk powder has a nutrition label on the back, but things like six star,muscletech,and body fortress have supplement facts on it. I noticed that when I went to walmart a few weeks ago same with some of the premade protein drinks,the premier protein ones had nutrition facts a few of the others(cant remember brands) were supplements. I didnt compare ingredient lists though. next time I will
  • DoorCountyMom
    DoorCountyMom Posts: 8 Member
    I'm curious to know if you are aware of your body's vitamin levels? Do you keep track? I was using cronometer.com prior to MFP which kept track of micro and macronutrients. I eat a ton of vegetables each day. I drink two green smoothies a day plus veggies at dinner. My vitamin levels were still low! I wasn't getting enough of many of my much needed nutrients. As well, our bodies do not produce Vit D and Vit K. How are you getting those vitamins into your body?

Mainly I'm just curious. Thanks in advance!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm curious to know if you are aware of your body's vitamin levels? Do you keep track? I was using cronometer.com prior to MFP which kept track of micro and macronutrients. I eat a ton of vegetables each day. I drink two green smoothies a day plus veggies at dinner. My vitamin levels were still low! I wasn't getting enough of many of my much needed nutrients. As well, our bodies do not produce Vit D and Vit K. How are you getting those vitamins into your body?

Vitamin D : get out in the sun.
    Vitamin K: use herbs and spice, you likely don't log them but many of them have plenty of vitamin K even in the small quantities used. Leafy greens have more than plenty. I use cronometer too, and even when I throw a few leaves of spinach into my omelette my vitamin K is topped up.

I'm wondering why your vitamin levels were low. My weekly average shows I hit every single one (except maybe for folate) without even trying. I just eat food. Maybe your calorie intake was too low?
    pczsnm58pyk3.png

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I just checked my Cronometer and I'm at over 300% for my Vitamin K over the last week, most of it coming from vegetables.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

I get my vitamin D tested by the dr every so often to make sure its not low again
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Of course it's a supplement, as @Erik8484 pointed out. It's defined to be so by the FDA, and regulated in the way they regulate supplements (which is to say not very much!).
    A dietary supplement is a product intended for ingestion that contains a "dietary ingredient" intended to add further nutritional value to (supplement) the diet. A "dietary ingredient" may be one, or any combination, of the following substances:
    a vitamin
    a mineral
    an herb or other botanical
    an amino acid
    a dietary substance for use by people to supplement the diet by increasing the total dietary intake
    a concentrate, metabolite, constituent, or extract

Dietary supplements may be found in many forms such as tablets, capsules, softgels, gelcaps, liquids, or powders. Some dietary supplements can help ensure that you get an adequate dietary intake of essential nutrients; others may help you reduce your risk of disease

FDA Basics: What is a Dietary Supplement?

Nothing about the definition of supplement suggests a supplement is "unnatural" or "natural"; actually, it would seem to me that most will be "natural" but "processed" in some way, if one insists on using vague words. Vitamins and minerals are quite natural, as are herbs and botanicals. And, of course, protein extracts from other sources. It's really not that hard to extract protein from something, then dehydrate it down. In fact, its a pretty standard chemistry lab exercise to do so for advanced high school students (and every biochemistry student ever).
  • sherryzm24
    sherryzm24 Posts: 44 Member
    Many folks use them as meal replacements but its not how its supposed to be. All I wanna say is that these supplements like whey protein shakes can be used as an Add-on to your current diet. make sure you use the right ones though!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Never really thought about it. I consider it both I suppose. I log and consider my fish oil as a supplement AND food and it's sort of the same thing... idk. not that bothered by it tbh
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Of course it is a supplement... if it is taken in addition to (supplementing) your regular diet. But is it bad? No, especially if you pick one that comes from natural sources. Are egg whites a supplement? It's not "natural" to just eat the white part of an egg poured from a carton... but most clean natural/clean eaters wouldn't say that is a problem, but if you extract the whey from milk and just eat that, it is not ok? Same things with vitamins. I guess ideally you would get all your vitamin C by eating a bunch of citrus, but you supplement with a vitamin because you don't want to eat all that, can't afford to, etc. I think we are getting caught up on semantics, when most people would say you are a "natural" bodybuilder/athlete if you don't use artificially produced chemicals to enhance your performance.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'd just say this: can one just use protein powder to attain their protein goals without bloating or bathroom issues?

Can the same be said if the protein was from chicken, beef, or fish?

I can eat protein with no issues, but I've done 3 protein shakes a day and man....

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

If you haven't already you should try pure isolate. No issues anymore for me.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I wouldn't call protein powder a supplement. Taking it doesn't 'enhance' anything for me, it simply helps me reach my protein goal everyday.

This. It's a convenience for me and a it helps me hit my macros and it's fun to make protein recipes!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    I just use protein powders to reach my protein goals for the day.