Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If CO is all estimates is precision in measuring CO overkill?

crackpotbaby
crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
If CO predictions are only an estimate (based on age, bodyweight and subjective assessments of activity levels and burns), is absolute precision in measuring CI (like logging to the gram) overkill?

Curious to hear arguments for and against.

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    Finally - right section. I really can't say if that was me or the app.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    The whole thing is estimation. I figure, why not be as accurate as possible where you can. If it's working without the accuracy, then it doesn't really matter. If it's not working, then being more accurate makes sense.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Because we're human, there's going to be estimates and not entirely correct accuracy. That's why even though someone is fast and we can estimate their 40 meter dash time, they aren't always going to run the same exact time every attempt. But we do have some CONSISTENCY within the time range. So based on that, we apply a basic formula and see how much energy is expended.
    Since CICO is an equation and we know if CI is less than CO, then weight loss should occur. If not, then numbers may be skewed and it's like more on the CO side. So to address it, we lower CI a little to see if the equation works. If it does then we continue.
    It's never going to be exact like a recipe or manufacturing a product, but we should be able to get close.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Through the imperfections of both CI and CO one can achieve a pretty close approximation of ones calorie needs and exercise burns.

Ie:
    My calorie intake was 1200 and I was losing .5lbs a week. The 1200 I was logging probably wasn't 100% accurate, but the way I was counting was accurate for me.

I take it a step further and log my exercise to find out how much to eat back. MFP gives me 185-310 for an hour of exercise.

I track both for 2 weeks (post menopause so little hormone fluctuation) and do the math. My average burn for 60 min exercise was 205 cals.

From that point on I knew my exercise average and applied it. This had my personal NEAT of 1400, rounded out, for days I exercised and 1200 on days I didn't.

This worked for the end of my weight loss and well into maintenance only changing when I did a reverse diet then started lifting. I just recalculated my personal approximations again.

So everything is estimates, but the more precise one can make those estimates, at a personal level, the more accurate ones results will be.

Cheers, h.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I do think this can largely come to personality type. Some people lose just fine by simply reducing portions/eyeballing and being more active.

Some people, myself included, like to minimise the potential margins for error. Which are an inevitability when the human body is involved. So I weigh my food but not prepackaged things like bagels etc. I'm happy accepting this may put me over/under but the margins are small enough for me at this stage for it not to have an impact. I measure CO by wearing a fitness tracker and using a chest strap when I exercise. And then I track the long term trend and make little tweaks as I need to.

I do those things because I like data and the more I have the more I can optimise results. But I'm also a realist. I don't take my food scale to a restaurant for example. If I had a formal event I'd take my not that attractive tracker off.

So there's the ideal and then there's the less than ideal and all this space in between to find your own personal sweet spot.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Reasonable and consistent estimates with the common sense to make adjustments to your calorie balance is all that's really required IMHO.

Early on I realised trying for absolute precision on the CI side was too much of a P.I.T.A. for me so settled for weighing high calorie density items only. I compensated for loss of accuracy by adjusting my base calorie goal based on actual long term weight loss results.
    I used packages, eyeballing, generic items like a banana, averaging out regular items (logging 5 cups of tea a day etc.).
    Maintaining without food logging hasn't been hard - I'm still calorie aware and read packaging. Losing weight to correct a drift I find harder but that's more because I'm greedy and my intuitive eating level is higher than I actually require.

The CO side of me interested me more so spent more time than most in trying to get closer to "the truth".
    Seeking out better methods for various exercises (power measurement, formulae etc.) VO2 max testing, max HR testing, calibrating a HRM to match my personal settings....
    But that was really as much out of curiosity as anything.
    In terms of results (weight loss or maintenance) I can manage that with relatively precise or imprecise tools/estimates.
    You also do develop a "feel" for what is a reasonable estimate over time - I know a certain eSpinning bike I use will exaggerate by about 100/cals in a hard hour of training for example.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Both CI and CO are gross estimations based on population studies. The finesse comes from knowledge of your behavior. If you can't track it you can't manage it. Not to say it's perfect or even that perfection is required, but estimation is sufficient.

For the purpose of weight management the end result is the scale. If one is attempting to lose they first need to know where they are in terms of CI and CO. If after 6 weeks there is no progress, data is reviewed and probable causes determined - corrective action is applied through decreased CI or increased CO.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Nothing in life is absolutely precise. You control for as much variance as possible if you need the accuracy to get the results.

Gaining/maintaining/losing the way you want to? Excellent. Continue doing whatever you're doing. Maybe experiment with relaxing measurements. No need to tighten up your measurements - or even to take any if you aren't.

Gaining/maintaining/losing not going according to plan? Time to tighten up and troubleshoot. Once the problem is fixed, you may want to continue being more precise, or not.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I measure the energy I put into the bike using a power meter, just like we all measure (not estimate) our body weight using a scale.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Many people lose weight not measuring/counting CI nor CO. I yoyo'd for 20 years not counting and going on various restrictive diets. Lost successfully each time.

Fast forward to this weight loss - I lost my first 30 lbs eyeballing everything. But here's the deal I knew that once I slowed or stopped losing would be because of my eyeballing. I was gently encouraged to weigh foods to recalibrate my eyeballing and sure enough my weight loss sped back up, until I took a diet break.

It may be overkill for some but by far the vast majority of us it helps get close enough that we see results just as the math tells us. I hated math all my life but these imprecise estimates have been pretty spot on for me so far. When they stop working I know it's time to tweak things.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    If one end is imprecise, being imprecise on the other hand will not make the end result more precise, rather the opposite.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Being off by a few hundred calories on either side of the equation isn't such a big deal if you're consistently off by that amount. Just pretend your TDEE is either slightly higher or lower and adjust your deficit accordingly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It's not "overkill" but it's not necessary (depending on personality type) and might not be appropriate longterm (or even at all) for certain personality types.

For me the hassle is logging, not weighing, and it's easier to log if I weigh (and thus use gram measurements). I've lost without logging or weighing before, but I find it enjoyable. I also find it enjoyable and motivating to have a training program with planned workouts and to do those (and use that for my estimate CO, whether logging or not) and that's also not necessary.

I don't think anyone claims that it's necessary to weigh and log -- people recommend it when others are finding they aren't losing on calories that are likely lower than what is really being eaten. It's a tool.

I find that logging is useful even if my numbers are off also because the process of logging makes me more mindful. (Logging or tracking my exercise -- which I don't do on MFP -- serves the same function even though I don't even try to track calories burned.)

Are you trying to argue that there's something wrong with logging/tracking/weighing? It sounds like that to me, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions so am asking.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    If CO predictions are only an estimate (based on age, bodyweight and subjective assessments of activity levels and burns), is absolute precision in measuring CI (like logging to the gram) overkill?

Context is key and the only time precision comes into play is when someone posts "I'm not losing...why?" claiming to be logging everything and killing it at the gym (I'm being deliberately hyperbolic) it must be something else.

I look at this like a car - its purpose is getting you from point A to point B. Does it matter if the speedometer and gas gauges are broken if it gets you to point B? Sure you are going to be more comfortable and take less risks if the gauges are calibrated, precise, and accurate, but if the destination is achieved this is really a moot point.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Context is key and the only time precision comes into play is when someone posts "I'm not losing...why?" claiming to be logging everything and killing it at the gym (I'm being deliberately hyperbolic) it must be something else.

This. It's only overkill if you can successfully lose weight without being so precise. Back before my first pregnancy, I managed to lose weight without paying any attention at all to CI or CO. I just knew if I tacked on a few extra pounds, simply adding a bit more activity to my weeks would be all I needed. But that activity came in the form of playing volleyball at the bar or spending several hours at the beach one day a week. Never did I bother tracking how many extra cals I burned. Nor did I pay any attention to what I was eating.

After the kids came along, I had to pay a bit more attention to the CI part of the equation. Not that I counted calories, rather I simply did eyeball portion control. That simply meant stopping at 1 or 2 slices of pizza instead of 3 or 4, or cutting my usual steaks in half.

This go around, I'm in my mid forties and my activity levels are about 1/10th of what they use to be. Paying closer attention to both the CI and CO part of the equations became necessary when 1 year of the eyeball approach left me gaining and losing the same 10lbs. Now, I'm still not "precise". I do weigh my meats and calorie dense foods, but my scale is a cheap mechanical scale that only goes down to the .25 ounce or 10 grams. Far from precise, but good enough to relearn what portions sizes I now need. I do measure my refined carbs with measuring cups, but I often have a little spill over and don't panic. Veggies and fruits, thou, I stick with my guesstimates. I also don't bother weighing or tracking the oils/butter I use for greasing pans. At the end of the day, I simply leave about 150 to 200 cals on the table to account for my imprecise measuring tactics. So far, it's been a nice steady 1lb per week loss since I started this method back in January.

I have no doubt that the closer I get to goal, the more precise I may need to be.. but I don't seem to need it now, nor have I needed to in the past.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

It's an imprecise science but that doesn't mean one shouldn't attempt to be as accurate as they personally can be.

Personally, I'm fine with just weighing stuff using ounces and most of what I weigh is calorie dense...there are many things that I don't weigh and have never weighed...and I use measuring cups and spoons for quite a few things that people tell people not to.

That said, I never had an issue dropping weight and have had little trouble maintaining for about 4 years...so whatever I was doing and am currently doing is good enough...others mileage may vary.
  • crackpotbaby
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's not "overkill" but it's not necessary (depending on personality type) and might not be appropriate longterm (or even at all) for certain personality types.

For me the hassle is logging, not weighing, and it's easier to log if I weigh (and thus use gram measurements). I've lost without logging or weighing before, but I find it enjoyable. I also find it enjoyable and motivating to have a training program with planned workouts and to do those (and use that for my estimate CO, whether logging or not) and that's also not necessary.

I don't think anyone claims that it's necessary to weigh and log -- people recommend it when others are finding they aren't losing on calories that are likely lower than what is really being eaten. It's a tool.

I find that logging is useful even if my numbers are off also because the process of logging makes me more mindful. (Logging or tracking my exercise -- which I don't do on MFP -- serves the same function even though I don't even try to track calories burned.)

Are you trying to argue that there's something wrong with logging/tracking/weighing? It sounds like that to me, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions so am asking.

I'm not arguing anything. I'm interested in the logic behind many posts I see on this forum, that's all.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member

I'm not arguing anything. I'm interested in the logic behind many posts I see on this forum, that's all.

You clearly made an argument in your OP. Not sure what you believe, but you made it.
  • crackpotbaby
    Theo166 wrote: »

You clearly made an argument in your OP. Not sure what you believe, but you made it.

Are you kidding me? You have no idea what my opinion on this is.

I posed a question (complete with typo) as a topic for discussion. I haven't even contributed an argument, or stance, or even response to other people's views on this.