Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Urban Food Desert Myth

Theo166
Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
edited March 2017 in Debate Club
I saw lack of fresh veggies in the city being used as an excuse in another thread. Well, it turns out that it's all a myth.

Here are some reading links for the curious, to get the discussion started.
NPR: The Myth of the Food Desert
Specifically, we are taught to think that the black obesity problem is in large part a matter of societal injustice. The story goes that the rise in obesity among the poor is due to a paucity of supermarkets in inner-city areas. This factoid has quite a hold on the general conversation about health issues and the poor, for two reasons. One is that it sits easily in the memory. The other is that it corresponds to our sense that poor people's problems are not their fault — which quite often they are not — and that reversing the problem will require undoing said injustice.
NYT: Studies Question the Pairing of Food Deserts and Obesity
It has become an article of faith among some policy makers and advocates, including Michelle Obama, that poor urban neighborhoods are food deserts, bereft of fresh fruits and vegetables.

But two new studies have found something unexpected. Such neighborhoods not only have more fast food restaurants and convenience stores than more affluent ones, but more grocery stores, supermarkets and full-service restaurants, too. And there is no relationship between the type of food being sold in a neighborhood and obesity among its children and adolescents.

Michelle had a great goal as FLOTUS, just wish she had done her homework. To fix problems, you need to work on the actual roots of it.

Replies

• cperkins18
    cperkins18 Posts: 7 Member
    I think a lot depends on what you choose as well. A while back, the local prices of cauliflower and broccoli soared because of weather problems where they were grown. I could still get cabbage very cheaply in any supermarket I cared to visit. As it happens, I like cauliflower a lot more than I like cabbage, but I can't really say that I couldn't eat fresh vegetables cheaply if I had wanted to.

Some frozen and canned vegetables are very nutritious and cheap, although with canned ones you need to read the labels to find out if there are high levels of salt or a sauce with other ingredients you don't want to eat.

I don't think I've ever lived anywhere I could call a food desert, although one or two very small rural villages might have come close. No one in my present city (a small one) seems to live anywhere they might have difficulty accessing a supermarket unless the circumstances are unusual (disabled and unable to afford the wheelchair public transportation services, for example). Even when I visited relatives who lived in a poor area in a major city, they had supermarkets within walking distance - or a very short bus trip away, if walking was difficult. They weren't high-end supermarkets, but they certainly sold fresh food. It seemed cheap to me (and was, compared to the prices in my home city), but maybe they were a bit more pricey than in supermarkets in rich areas of the same city. I didn't investigate that.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    mskimee wrote: »
    Tania_181 wrote: »
    From my own past experience in the U.K., it is often cheaper to buy carbs, and junk or processed food than it is to buy fresh fruit and vegetables. You can for example, buy pasta/rice for many meals but a equivalent amount of veg (price-wise) might only give you 1-2 portions. Equally, things such as biscuits can be very cheap here. There may also be a correlation between income and education that affects diet.

I 100% agree. To go into Tesco and fill a basket with fresh fruit/veg is gonna cost more. Lean meat is always more expensive than high fat.

One example for my family is fajitas! We love them but they work out so expensive for 3 people.

Peppers €1.49
    Onion €0.39
    Mushrooms €0.99
    Chicken €4.99
    Wraps €0.79
    Spices €1.00
    Sweetcorn €0.50
    Rice €.50
    Total €10.65

Or a pre-packed ready meal full of salt, sugar and fat that can be microwaved = €1.00 each

It's crazy!!

None of which has anything to do with obesity, assuming that one understands and applies basic math to their energy needs. You know what happened when I was eating keto, and dropping 2-3 lbs. per week? My grocery bill went through the floor, because chicken thighs, organ meat and 73/27 ground beef are insanely cheap.
    This isn't my area of expertise, as I don't know what meat tastes like, but is this stuff that can be used to make meals that children going through a fussy phase will eat? Don't say "they'll eat when they're hungry" because some will, some won't.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    mskimee wrote: »
    Tania_181 wrote: »
    From my own past experience in the U.K., it is often cheaper to buy carbs, and junk or processed food than it is to buy fresh fruit and vegetables. You can for example, buy pasta/rice for many meals but a equivalent amount of veg (price-wise) might only give you 1-2 portions. Equally, things such as biscuits can be very cheap here. There may also be a correlation between income and education that affects diet.

I 100% agree. To go into Tesco and fill a basket with fresh fruit/veg is gonna cost more. Lean meat is always more expensive than high fat.

One example for my family is fajitas! We love them but they work out so expensive for 3 people.

Peppers €1.49
    Onion €0.39
    Mushrooms €0.99
    Chicken €4.99
    Wraps €0.79
    Spices €1.00
    Sweetcorn €0.50
    Rice €.50
    Total €10.65

Or a pre-packed ready meal full of salt, sugar and fat that can be microwaved = €1.00 each

It's crazy!!

None of which has anything to do with obesity, assuming that one understands and applies basic math to their energy needs. You know what happened when I was eating keto, and dropping 2-3 lbs. per week? My grocery bill went through the floor, because chicken thighs, organ meat and 73/27 ground beef are insanely cheap.
    This isn't my area of expertise, as I don't know what meat tastes like, but is this stuff that can be used to make meals that children going through a fussy phase will eat? Don't say "they'll eat when they're hungry" because some will, some won't.

No way to tell, as every child is different. However, if they won't eat it, that will certainly fix the obesity issue.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I think there is a tendency for those with a grasp on their dietary intake and the means to comfortably support that to judge those who, on the surface, are making poor choices.

But poverty strips people of every little bit of themselves, mental illness increases, access to education often poorer and the ability intellectually and mentally, to change dietary habits becomes insurmountable when you're just trying to keep your life together as best you can.

Food deserts aren't necessarily the issue. Not having the means or ability to make a tiny little bit of money stretch far enough with fresh wholesome food is. Coupled with the abject misery of having to be so careful for years on end. Sometimes it's just easier to to grab a family size pasta tray bake for £3 and a packet of custard creams for 20p.

I've been there. I know how to cook and well, I can throw together a meal from virtually nothing (or at least used to be, damn cognitive issues) but when I was dirt poor crying about not being able to pay bills, my desire to get creative in the kitchen vanished. It might not be right but this whole culture of those who can afford to eat relatively well and pay their bills telling the poor to just manage their life and finances better is bullcrap.

I've been on both sides. You know what happened when I was working a low paying manual labor job and living in my truck, only able to eat McDonald's dollar menu crap twice per day? I lost 30 lbs. in three months. I got fatter again when I started being able to afford more food the following season.

Then I realized what needed to be done, and fixed the problem again. Physics gives not a single damn about your income bracket.