Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Adrenal Fatigue?

Replies

• blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    I've been hearing about this more and more on social media as well as here on MFP.

Apparently, if you're suffering from an entire range of symptoms that are also very common to other ailments, you could be afflicted with 'Adrenal Fatigue.'

Curious as to people's understanding and experience with this syndrome, and whether you think it's genuine or bogus.

I'm currently on the bogus side, but am open-minded, even though the latest scientific study on this does not support Adrenal Fatigue as being a medically diagnosable/recognized ailment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4997656/

Quoted from the website " caused by chronic exposure to stressful situations", which is another definition for "suffering from burnout". Would you consider that bogus too?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    In all honesty, I just don't know if adrenal fatigue is bogus or not because I have not studied up on it. However, how is this diagnosed? Don't you have to have your adrenal glands tested? I ask this because my man had to go through some testing of his adrenal glands due to a growth there. The doctors wanted to make sure they were correctly releasing his cortisol, which they were. But, adrenal fatigue was never mentioned as a possible diagnosis.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2017
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    In all honesty, I just don't know if adrenal fatigue is bogus or not because I have not studied up on it. However, how is this diagnosed? Don't you have to have your adrenal glands tested? I ask this because my man had to go through some testing of his adrenal glands due to a growth there. The doctors wanted to make sure they were correctly releasing his cortisol, which they were. But, adrenal fatigue was never mentioned as a possible diagnosis.

Same for Mr. BurnEmAll.

Also, I wasn't aware that there was any credible debate regarding hypothyroidism.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    In all honesty, I just don't know if adrenal fatigue is bogus or not because I have not studied up on it. However, how is this diagnosed?
    Well, since it is a fake disease it can't be diagnosed. But because quacks such as chiropractors, naturopaths, and functional/integrative medicine doctors can make a buck selling false hope to their victims they "diagnose" by having one or more of any of the following vague, non-specific symptoms:
    Tiredness, trouble getting up in the morning, needing coffee, cola, salty or sweet snacks to keep going, feeling run down and stressed, craving salty or sweet snacks, struggling to keep up with life’s daily demands, unable to bounce back from stress or illness, not having fun anymore, and decreased sex drive.
    The above was the actual questionnaire​ given the quack chiropractor who invented the "disease"
    Don't you have to have your adrenal glands tested?
    Not in the sense you are thinking. The quacks will do "tests" that aren't validated that are performed by very questionable labs. Oh, these non-specific tests will cost you a lot money out of pocket.
    I ask this because my man had to go through some testing of his adrenal glands due to a growth there. The doctors wanted to make sure they were correctly releasing his cortisol, which they were. But, adrenal fatigue was never mentioned as a possible diagnosis.
    Because it's not a real diagnosis, as such real doctors don't mention it as a possible diagnosis. It would be highly unethical to to give a fake diagnosis.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member

Same for Mr. BurnEmAll.

Also, I wasn't aware that there was any credible debate regarding hypothyroidism.

You're right, there is no debate regarding hypothroidism. But the alternative quacks realized this another area where they can score some easy cash and decided to get involved. So they manufactured a controversy where the isn't one.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I'm confident to set a challenge to anyone who has poor health, at least gives this a go. Look into Functional Medicine. You have nothing to loose but your poor health.
    Not always true. If symptoms persist, they likely spent an ungodly amount of money if it's not covered by health insurance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I have not found it credible enough to even mention it to any client.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Its a real thing HOWEVER its being over played on social media like most things. If people are dieting and loosing fat they will have the same symptoms. So they do not have it. Its part of the dieting and your body adapting into using your stored fat, fat cells, into energy and when that happens and the fat is being released it also releases hormones which can raise estrogen levels. So for males you may experience similar symptoms but its mainly due to losing fat You can cause adrenal fatigue in other ways. One example is taking STIMS, caffeine, in large quantities for long periods of time that why is you so happen to get on a ECA stack you should cycle the C which is caffeine for those who don't know, I'm talking over 600mgs a day not 3 cups of coffee, a cup of coffee has about 80mg of caffeine as well as you sip or drink it not taking a pill that goes into your blood stream almost instantly. As well to note that the symptoms of Adrenal fatigue are similar to other underlying issues.

Bottom line is I am with you that it is "bogus" but it is a real thing and it should be diagnosed by a medical professional and not a self diagnoses. If you feel like crap dieting, increase your calories to maintenance for a week or take a break from exercising and then see how you feel. Most likely your symptoms will disappear completely.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    edited March 2017
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    "Adrenal fatigue" is a hoax created by quacks/crackpots (naturopaths, "alternative medicine" practitioners, etc.). The term was coined in 1988 by a chiropractor, but there is no scientific evidence supporting it, nor is it recognized as a valid diagnosis by the medical community. This is supported by the systematic review linked in the OP. Adrenal fatigue is as bogus as "leaky gut syndrome", which is another imaginary condition made up by alternative medicine quacks. Both of them are about as real as catching the measles from Santa Claus.

This x1000...

It's nonsense and there's no evidence to prove it. I can't stand these chiropractors and CAM quacks who present it as fact. You would probably notice how no Medical Doctors, or Medical Scientists talk about it? You know, the people with an actual education that is based upon evidence and proven science. The opposite to these pseudo-scientific hacks. They act like they know what they're talking about and their oversimplification of metabolic and physiological processes appeal to the layman. So from there they can sell their stupid supplement or diet. People look for easy answers to complicated questions. They take advantage of that.
  • hpacaro
    hpacaro Posts: 25 Member
    The bolded, exactly, is me with depression. It is not just feeling sad.
    But I am very glad that you have found something that has helped.
    Are you taking ashwagandha? I took it for awhile and *think* it helped, but there really was no way to measure it. I rely 100% on lifestyle changes now.

I'm happy to hear that you have resolved your depression with lifestyle changes. One of the supplements I take for Adrenal health does contain Ashwagandha in addition to other things.
  • hpacaro
    hpacaro Posts: 25 Member
    Out of interest, what supplements were recommended?

A specific supplement for Adrenal Health that I wasn't able to find right away, so I tried a few and found that Adrenal Health by Emerald Laboratories had the most positive impact on the way I felt. As symptoms improved, I have added Magnesium and Vitamin D to get to a place where I feel I'm at optimum health as long as I pay attention to my body.
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2017
    ketomaniac wrote: »
    I think what people refer to as "Adrenal Fatigue" is the over-activation of our Fight or Flight response, which then leads Chronic Systemic Inflammation in the body. This is usually a result of poor adaptation to environmental stressors and malnutrition.

Can you tell me how "Chronic Systemic Inflammation in the body" is diagnosed please?

There are plenty of inflammatory markers that can be tested for - which ones are raised in this condition?

• BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    BeauNash wrote: »
    I think what people refer to as "Adrenal Fatigue" is the over-activation of our Fight or Flight response, which then leads Chronic Systemic Inflammation in the body. This is usually a result of poor adaptation to environmental stressors and malnutrition.

Can you tell me how "Chronic Systemic Inflammation in the body" is diagnosed please?

There are plenty of inflammatory markers that can be tested for - which ones are raised in this condition?

I was hypothizing that the over activation of the adrenals may lead to hypocortisolism which will in turn will lead to autoimmunity

So an unproven hypothesis then. OK.