Transition from Bulk to Cut

I have asked this question before, but I still keep seeing conflicting info on the matter so I figure we can discuss it here.

I am currently bulking for another 6 weeks. In the past I was told to hang out at maintenance for at least 2 weeks and adjust training to transition into a cut. I have also been told that I go straight into a cut no problem.

I just read some stuff from Lyle about it but I don't really know if I am sold even though he specifically refers to women and how jumping into a cut can mess with hormones (my hormones are a disaster anyways...postpartum, nursing, etc). But can't I just go straight to cutting provided it isn't too aggressive? My deficit will probably be 125-250 cals per week or so. Also I will probably only start with one cardio session a week and go from there.
To be honest last time I ended up hanging out at maintenance for a month after my bulk and it just kind of dragged things out.

Just wondering about the pros/cons and the research about keeping that transition phase. Let me know what you all think about it and what you do after a bulk.

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I would stop at maintenance for a while, on the basis of learning what maintenance is post bulk. Plus i think I'd want to reduce my cals more slowly!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I just dive straight in. However, since I rapid cut, this allows me to get in and get out before my performance under the iron starts to suffer. We've all seen people who spend months cutting off ten pounds, and their lifts often end up tanking a bit in the process. I'd rather not be that guy.

However, if going in slow for a long duration cut helps keep you sane, go for it. I prefer to be as aggressive as any individual can tolerate, both psychologically and physiologically. Others may not share this inclination.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I would stop at maintenance for a while, on the basis of learning what maintenance is post bulk. Plus i think I'd want to reduce my cals more slowly!

Hmm.. that is true. I have no clue what my maintenance would be right now... on top of that I don't even know what my bulking cals are, but I have a guesstimate based on my last one. I am currently doing an intuitive bulk.
  • sardelsa
    edited March 2017
    I just dive straight in. However, since I rapid cut, this allows me to get in and get out before my performance under the iron starts to suffer. We've all seen people who spend months cutting off ten pounds, and their lifts often end up tanking a bit in the process. I'd rather not be that guy.

However, if going in slow for a long duration cut helps keep you sane, go for it. I prefer to be as aggressive as any individual can tolerate, both psychologically and physiologically. Others may not share this inclination.

Yea I can't do aggressive.. a) not for me and b) the nursing thing :)
    It would be nice to just get it over with though.

How many lbs did you lose on your cut ? I don't even know how much I will have to lose this time. Last cut it was only 3lbs
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2017
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yea I can't do aggressive.. a) not for me and b) the nursing thing :)
    It would be nice to just get it over with though.

How many lbs did you lose on your cut ? I don't even know how much I will have to lose this time. Last cut it was only 3lbs

178.3 moving average, to 170.3 in 13 days, and that's after the two day carb refeed. Only notable loss of strength was in squat, and that was only one rep lost. I hit PRs on everything else while on the cut.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    When my last bulk ended, I also read Lyle's article. I didn't find anything definitive in my internet search as to whether to transition or go straight into a cut. Lots of opinions, though.

As I was injured and unable to workout; maintenance was chosen for me. But figuring out what was maintenance was a moving target. My metabolism was fairly high from when I was working out. I dropped 250 calories and noticed that I was losing weight; so I added back about 150 calories, which stabilized for about 2 weeks. Then started gaining as my metabolism slowed. So, I again adjusted down. All of which is to say, at least for me, my metabolism was not constant as I transitioned from bulk to maintenance, even though my activity level was constant. Takeaway for me is that in the future, I plan to always have a maintenance period just to recalibrate my body and not end up cutting too aggressively.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I went straight into a cut - except for 1 celebratory meal. I was starting to feel FULL all the time. I figured it would be good to take advantage of that feeling. It looks like I am losing about 1 pound a week. I also had no idea what my maintance calories where - it was just a guess. I am going to try to continue at this pace through the rest of the week and than add some more calories back.

The timing of this is perfect for me. I was just about done with my period when I started cutting. I am going to start adding some calories back in close to ovulation - when I will start to be HUNGRY. Hopefully that increase will carry me through until the next ovulation. At that point I hope I am done cutting and will start adding calories to get back to maintaince.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html/
    "Instead, starting a diet following menstruation or in the late follicular phase when food cravings and hunger are less may make compliance easier. They also suggest that increasing total energy intake 5-8 days before menstruation (when hunger/energy expenditure are at their highest) may prevent a suboptimal caloric intake (which can make folks lethargic) and help with long term adherence to a diet."
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    @sardelsa let me ask you.... in your opinion, which one do you feel would be less taxing on you mentally? Do you think you would benefit from working out your new maintenance? How about working out the volume of foods? There may be a right answer technically, and if anyone would know, it probably is Lyle, but even then, that approach may or may not be appropriate for you. Honestly, it's going to come down to what is sustainable for you. If you think a large drop in calories/volume is going to be very tough, go to maintenance for a few weeks and then drop again.
  • sardelsa
    @psuLemon that is a good question.

On the one hand, easing into it is probably a good idea so I can figure out my maintenance cals and get used to less food. Probably better for my body I would imagine?

On the other hand, I don't want to waste too much time.. so I keep just wanting to jump in and start the cut.

Maybe I will just spend a week easing into it and go from there.

Thanks everyone!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    ^sounds reasonable.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @psuLemon that is a good question.

On the one hand, easing into it is probably a good idea so I can figure out my maintenance cals and get used to less food. Probably better for my body I would imagine?

On the other hand, I don't want to waste too much time.. so I keep just wanting to jump in and start the cut.

Maybe I will just spend a week easing into it and go from there.

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like the best of both worlds.
  • sardelsa
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I go straight to cut, cause I hate cutting and I want to get rid of that phase asap.

Yea.. I hear ya.

I have a feeling I am going to be cutting all summer, haha (but cutting for me is eating 2500+ cals per day, so not too bad right ;) )
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Depends on how you want to do it and how your body reacts. What is your projected goal of loss and time frame?

Some people like myself like to aggressive cut the first 2-3weeks then reverse diet out of it.

If your breast feeding I certainly would not doing anything drastic.

• sardelsa
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Depends on how you want to do it and how your body reacts. What is your projected goal of loss and time frame?

Some people like myself like to aggressive cut the first 2-3weeks then reverse diet out of it.

If your breast feeding I certainly would not doing anything drastic.

I am aiming for 0.25-0.5lb per week loss, so pretty minimal. And yea exactly, nursing = no aggressive cuts for me. Based on how I look right now, I probably won't have very much to lose though, maybe a few lbs.
  • TRosen19335
    TRosen19335 Posts: 12 Member
    I started March 2016 at 240lb, eating 4500 cal daily and got into a strict diet to prep for a bodybuilding show right off the bat. My calories dropped to approximately 3000 daily and I manipulated the diet and workouts monthly depending on what I saw and needed to see. I am currently at 185, maybe a little more and eating approximately 2800 cal daily. This does not include my cheat meal which is once a week and consist of approximately 1000 cal in one sitting.

Bulking and cutting if done properly shouldn't be in quick spurts. Clean bulking is the same diet just larger portions..

My show is in May so I will continue to lean out until then. after it ends I will aim to gain 20+ lb but that doesn't mean unclean eating. Instead I'll increase the amount of brown rice, sweet potato, etc. by about 2-3oz per meal while The proteins may only increase 1oz or so

Open to answer questions if you have any :)