Gain 25 pounds muscle

So my goal is to gain 25 pounds of muscle in a year. I'm about 172-175 pounds right now. I eat 3,000 calories a day, healthy ones not crappy food.

I work out 5 days a week at my school gym. My goal is the 25 pounds of muscle and also a six pack. The six pack by June.

Can anybody help with tips maybe?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    One tip is to maybe realize that it may take more than a year. It may take multiple bulk and cut cycles to get to that point as with bulking, you gain muscle and fat and even if you gained 25 extra pounds, not all of it will be muscle.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    How tall are you?
    How long have you been lifting in a progressive load program?
    What's the most weight gain you've had from lifting in the past year?
  • Tylerman35
    Tylerman35 Posts: 66 Member
    I am 6'1". I just got a program from a personal trainer of mine. But in the past year, of on and off working out (just started seriously the past two months, no program) probably 10 pounds or so. And I now have a program that I am going to follow but still looking for some nice tips. Like I work at 10 am tomorrow. And then helping uncle lay tile at 5. Is it okay to workout after 8-9 pm? Or no?

And yeah, of course it may take more than a year. But if I can get 15-20 pounds, that would be awesome
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    edited March 2017
    If you're going to put on weight, you're going to need more than 3,000 calories. More like 4,000 or more. At 5'7" in my 20's, I ate 4,000 calories to put on 30lbs in a little over a year. It wasn't all muscle. And I didn't have a physical job at the time either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    U can't pack on 25 lbs of muscle in a year without steroids,hgh etc.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited March 2017
    Do lots of reading. Don't take what I'm saying below as gospel. It's just some basic guidelines, but in general it'll steer you right.

Make sure your routine is based around a steady diet of the "Big Six" compound lifts as your primary lifts, then add a few extra secondary exercises. They are,
    A Squats
    A Bench Press
    A Rows (like the Bent Over Row)
    B Deadlift
    B Overhead Press (or Military Press)
    B Pull-ups/Chin-ups

Make sure you learn the correct form and use a spotter or a power cage for squat and bench. These six will hit all major muscle groups and hit them well. You'll get primary groups and secondaries hit in every one of them so they're very efficient. If you organize them like above with Workout A, day off, Workout B, day off, Workout A, two days off, B, off, A and so on you'll end up with a nice balanced routine that works pretty well. Squat each workout. Your legs are your mass builders.

Start out light for a few weeks while you learn perfect form. Form is very important. Your strength (not muscle) gains will come first due to your body learning how to efficiently do these movements. Next will be size gains. Could be a couple months for size gains, but they'll come.

Try to lift within 60% - 80% of your maximum and slowly increase either your volume (weight x total reps or sets x total reps) You must progressively increase the volume somehow. A few percent at a time, not too fast.

After about 6 or 8 weeks, change it up a bit. By then you'll have learned some more different methods.

Go to your library and get Arnold Schwarzenegger's "Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding". Read.

Oh yeah the six pack. It's gonna be tough to get this by June. To get a six pack you need to lose body fat. Everyone has a six pack, but the trick is you need to be in a calorie deficit to do this, but you need to be in a slight (250 ish) calorie surplus to gain muscle. My advice is to go to maintenance calories until June, or cut while you lift until then. You'll need to keep your protein higher if/when you cut, it(along with lifting) will help you retain muscle while you lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Xvapor wrote: »
    Well you could, but your calorie intake would be insanely high and progressive overload would pretty much have to happen every week and not just by a pound or so. To gain that 25lbs of muscle, one would have to probably put on at least 60lbs or more and try not getting too fat doing it. Pretty much would live in the gym too. It's not impossible, but likely improbable.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member

[/quote]
    Tylerman35 wrote: »
    I am 6'1". I just got a program from a personal trainer of mine. But in the past year, of on and off working out (just started seriously the past two months, no program) probably 10 pounds or so. And I now have a program that I am going to follow but still looking for some nice tips. Like I work at 10 am tomorrow. And then helping uncle lay tile at 5. Is it okay to workout after 8-9 pm? Or no?

You make sure to workout whenever you feel like it. You want to do 3 am, do it. Just try to get some good sleep to take care of your body. It's got to work for your schedule or it just won't work.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    So my goal is to gain 25 pounds of muscle in a year. I'm about 172-175 pounds right now. I eat 3,000 calories a day, healthy ones not crappy food.

I work out 5 days a week at my school gym. My goal is the 25 pounds of muscle and also a six pack. The six pack by June.

Can anybody help with tips maybe?

One tip: You won't be looking at your 6 packs when you gain that 25 lb's of muscle. That kind of muscle comes with a lot of fat too. You will have amazing newbie gains though, and 20-25 lb's of muscle is actually possible since you're new. Make sure you do understand that those kind of gains come with fat, so you will need to go for a cutting cycle next, and thats the tough bit to keep your muscles while shedding that fat. It's not easy but definitely possible. It would def take over a year if you include the cutting phase as well. I would double check your calorie intake though, make sure you adjust it depending on your weekly results. I would go with 1lb/week gain, and go from there.
  • JB035

And yeah, of course it may take more than a year. But if I can get 15-20 pounds, that would be awesome

That's what I though, you looked tall in your profile pic. Well I can tell you from experience that when I first started, I didn't eat enough and all that happened was I got extremely ripped!
    You will have to play around with your cals to see what puts you in a surplus. I'm hoping your personal trainer has some nutritional education background and will be monitoring your gains.
    One thing is for sure when you eat enough you will see results. My first year to year and a half I put on 20 lbs, most of it was muscle.
    I prefer to workout sometime between 2pm - 5pm but it's really up to you when you lift.

Best tip I can give you is to weigh and track everything you eat to ensure you are getting the proper Macros to see growth. A guy once told me; if you want to weight 180 then you are going to have to eat like you weigh 180.
    Best of luck to you bud.
  • Tylerman35
    Wow everybody! This is awesome. I will deeply read this later on when I get home and apply all of these tips. I was barely able to hit 3,000 calories yesterday just because I'm not used to eating that much yet.
  • JB035
    @Tylerman35
    What did you eat yesterday?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Before even bulking, you need to decide what is more important to you.. abs or gaining muscle. Second, you will probably want to do this in cycles. As you gain weight, you will gain fat.. roughly 50/50. If you start off really lean (which it doesn't look like it in your current picture), you might see more muscle than fat. As you start to get higher body fat percentages (especially 18% and greater), you are more likely to put on more fat than muscle; at least, that is how I understand it from Lyle McDonald's calorie partitioning work.

Ideally, you'd train the major lifts 2-3x a week (depending on your ability to recover). So getting a structured and proven plan, is going to be ideal. So if you haven't already, here is one of the stickies.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Next diet. What are you eating? What are your macros? In general, calories are king. But carbs and protein are also very beneficial during a bulk. Carbs since they are anticatabolic and protein to support the muscle growth. If you are struggling to get 3k, I suspect you might be doing the bro-diet (chicken, brown rice sweet potato). Does that sound about right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well you could, but your calorie intake would be insanely high and progressive overload would pretty much have to happen every week and not just by a pound or so. To gain that 25lbs of muscle, one would have to probably put on at least 60lbs or more and try not getting too fat doing it. Pretty much would live in the gym too. It's not impossible, but likely improbable.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

my money is on it not happening...
  • JB035
    ndj1979 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's possible if done correctly.
  • ndj1979
    JB035 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's possible if done correctly with steroids.

fixed it for you
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

fixed it for you

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/

OP is young, so if nutrition and training are right, it's possible. But there are factors that can drive it and knowledge to be able to get him there.
  • ndj1979
    psuLemon wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

fixed it for you

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/

OP is young, so if nutrition and training are right, it's possible. But there are factors that can drive it and knowledge to be able to get him there.

My money is still on no as everything is going to have to be perfect
  • Tylerman35
    Yeah so I'm going to aim for 10-15 pounds of muscle then. And work from there. I've been logging everything I eat (today had 3 small slices of pizza, at my uncles so had to be polite) and ate all healthy yesterday. Breakfast and lunch today were healthy
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Yeah so I'm going to aim for 10-15 pounds of muscle then. And work from there. I've been logging everything I eat (today had 3 small slices of pizza, at my uncles so had to be polite) and ate all healthy yesterday. Breakfast and lunch today were healthy

Absolutely nothing wrong with pizza, especially if you're trying to gain.