Need a whey protein powder alternative

I've been using Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey, but I get headaches soon after taking it (along with bloating).

What other protein powders do you like? I'm open to trying more whey since it might be the added ingredients that cause my issues, but I'd also like to try a plant protein. I've tried SunWarrior in the past and it was probably the worst thing I've ever tasted.

Replies

• kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    I love PEScience (Snickerdoodle&Cookies N Cream), also Bowmar Fitness (100 Degree Vanilla & Chocolate) are good ones too. I've never had issues with either of these. I also take BCAA's, High Volume and Prolific from PEScience.

15482907.png
  • mkozono
    mkozono Posts: 1 Member
    Maybe try a whey protein isolate
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Vega protein tastes nice and is plant based but it is pricey
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Try whey isolate- I find it easier on the gut. I use one by MyProtein
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    You could try some of the vegan or paleo powders out there, but they are expensive. I'd probably try the isolate first.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've got North Coast Naturals 100% chocolate Isolate, it's tasty.

Of course you could always have some dry curd cottage cheese.

I also get plain 90% Isolate at the bulk store, it doesn't have anything in it to make it mix in a liquid like soy lecithin but you can put it in cooking and on popcorn.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I use whey Isolate from Myprotein. I can't handle whey concentrate at all!
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited March 2017
    I mean if you're lactose intolerant, you can use the isolates or options here. The "added" stuff shouldn't really bloat you otherwise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    You can look at a egg protein as an alternative.

For whey, I have really like Muscle Pharm, Quest, Dymatize, Designer Whey and Pure Protein. MYProtein is one of the highest quality proteins according to www.labdoor.com though.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if I do a protein powder, I use egg protein - whey makes me gassy...Jay Robb is one of the brands out there - the chocolate one, tastes like chocolate milk
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    The company I do some work for just launched a vegan line (brown rice and pea protein) and it's gotten really awesome feedback. YepItsVegan.com if you wanna take a look.