For those of you who aren't SUPER FIT-yep they are judging us.

So I haven't been serious about this whole workout thing much in the last year, and I've put on about 20lbs. So I look like I'm not fit anymore. I have been lifting for about 17 years though. It's probably why I am so mad right now.

Today I took my kid, who is 14, to the gym. She wanted to do squats, so we went and found a squat rack and I set her up with a bar. She did her squats and then I loaded the bar with some weights (the 14 year old doesn't use any weights yet, just the bar because she's young and she's learning, but we don't want to stress her growing joints too much)

Anyways, I stood in front of the bar and went to do my set, but holy moly - the bar was too high. I stood there in a daze for a second. The last time we went to the gym this wasn't an issue. Someone is obviously taller than me!!! Yikes!

So I stand there a second and process that I am now the shortest member of my family, and that I'm now going to have to unload the bar and fix this situation. That's when this girl, who was maybe 20, who was squatting in the next rack comes over and tells me, I need to lower the rack in a really rude condescending voice. No really? I told her I'm good, I've been squatting over a decade, but that my kid is taller than me for the first time...I then jokingly tell her - the nice thing about doing squats your whole life is that at forty you can still have a great booty, so keep it up girl! She gave me a dirty look and wandered back to her bar. My point was, I'm old enough to be your mother...

Anyways, I did my squats, my kid did her squats and we left for the cardio section because I honestly wasn't feeling well at all to begin with.

This other guy, super muscle bound, bald, shiny (you know the type) was walking around slamming things the whole time I was squatting with my kid. I thought it was weird, but ignored it. He asked me in a pretty rude manner if I was done. I told him it was all his.

I forgot something, so I came back only to find that these two weren't squatting. Instead they were having a chat about how stupid I was. About how newbies should listen or stay in the other sections. I stopped them and told them it wasn't nice to talk about other people and they should just do their own thing and not worry about me. The guy literally got in my face and screamed at me that they were just trying to keep me from hurting myself.

It wasn't until later that I realized that this guy was pissed off at me from the very beginning, just because I was using the rack and I wasn't fit enough I guess. That's why he was slamming things and acting like a general douche while I did my lifts.

As it stands I plan to have a word with the management. I'm never ever bringing my kids in there again. My other child is autistic and loves to lift with mom, but something like that would have scared the crap out of him.

I literally joined that gym because the other one didn't have a squat rack. I only get to use it on Saturdays because usually the gym is so full of really big muscle bound guys that I don't get a chance. They won't let me, I've tried asking. Booked solid. Now I have to deal with this.

I always thought, no one is judging you because you aren't super fit. But I was always super fit looking at the gym. Now this shows me I was wrong. Just because I'm silently cheering on people who are new or who are looking to get back into things, doesn't mean anything. I'm the exception, not the rule.

They are judging me. And I only have 20lbs to lose. This gym is only for super fit people, unless I want to stay in the machine section. I need to leave their squat rack alone I guess. Every time someone overweight has told me they didn't want to go to the gym for people judging them, I didn't believe them. Now I see it. I'm so sad right now.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    What a pair of Dicks!

I just wanted to ask about your kids age. Here, our gym wont accept anyone under 18 years old, is it different in America?
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    What a pair of Dicks!

I just wanted to ask about your kids age. Here, our gym wont accept anyone under 18 years old, is it different in America?
    Our gym admits anyone 14 or older. I had to prove my daughter's age with a birth certificate before they'd admit her, though.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    What a pair of Dicks!

My Y has special training for kids I think 13 and up to teach them to use the equipment properly.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    What a bunch of jerks, you keep doing you; forget them.

I still imagine people are more likely to be silently cheering others on, not being unmitigated douche bags.
  • Christine_72
    I'm not sure where to buy them. You may need to Google.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member

I'm guessing, maybe just a general T-shirt printing shop? I think most towns/cities in most countries have them and I think most will do pretty much any wording you want.. right?
  • Christine_72

I'm guessing, maybe just a general T-shirt printing shop? I think most towns/cities in most countries have them and I think most will do pretty much any wording you want.. right?

Yes true.

OP you can make the wording bright Red :tongue: