Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Science of working your body.

haianna4nguyen
haianna4nguyen Posts: 22 Member
When I begin working out after pregnancy (I have 3 kids now), I start with basics. Easing my way back into things. First cardio, then adding a little weights. Then I start living heavier and running farther, longer and faster. But I have never been one to really pay attention to macros, when to cut, when or why to bulk. I always get my body to where I feel healthy and strong and my times, weights and reps are all on point. I am just not sure about the "science" in working out. The whole supplements, powders, pre workout, must eat this before or after along with the macros, cut and bulk.
I'm sure there is no easy way to to put this into a nut shell for me but I feel like if I'd ask someone at the supp shop they upsell me for crap that costs a ton and doesn't work like the miracle it advertises it does. So if someone could explain what I should be or why is should cut, bulk, use pre workout or use supplements... I'm all ears.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited March 2017
    Only you can answer whether you should be bulking/cutting/recomping/maintaining.

Are you happy with how you look? Do you have body composition issues or goals? Do you have Performance based goals? What is your favourite training?

If you're happy doing what you're doing and looking how you look, keep doing what you're doing. You don't need to necessarily be "doing" a certain thing.
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    98% of the population never has to even think about the terms "bulk", "cut", or "supplements".

Ever.

And their lives will still be completely fulfilled.

98%? Any source?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I always get my body to where I feel healthy and strong and my times, weights and reps are all on point
    So carry on doing what you are doing if you are happy.

You haven't stated any specific goals so don't think anyone can guide you.
    e.g. I could ramble on about the supposed benefits of beetroot juice for long duration sub-maximal cardio but that's an irrelevance unless you are interested in endurance events.

For most of my exercise I just fit it into my day and stay hydrated with water. But when I'm trying to achieve the best I can in a particular event or challenge I will seek an added few percentage points of performance from specific training protocols, diet, supplements or even shaving my legs (that was an hour of my life I would like to get back....).

The average gym goer (if there's such a thing) doesn't need any extras and would do better to concentrate on effective training supported by a general "good" diet".
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You are asking someone to give you advice on everything. Think of a specific question of use the search function.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    When I begin working out after pregnancy (I have 3 kids now), I start with basics. Easing my way back into things. First cardio, then adding a little weights. Then I start living heavier and running farther, longer and faster. But I have never been one to really pay attention to macros, when to cut, when or why to bulk. I always get my body to where I feel healthy and strong and my times, weights and reps are all on point. I am just not sure about the "science" in working out. The whole supplements, powders, pre workout, must eat this before or after along with the macros, cut and bulk.
    I'm sure there is no easy way to to put this into a nut shell for me but I feel like if I'd ask someone at the supp shop they upsell me for crap that costs a ton and doesn't work like the miracle it advertises it does. So if someone could explain what I should be or why is should cut, bulk, use pre workout or use supplements... I'm all ears.

what are your goals?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

what are your goals?

This. The things you mention are things that can help some people better achieve their goals.

It's as if you asked "Some people own hammers, saws and screwdrivers: Should I buy some?"

If you have goals you can share, people could help you find the right tools to achieve them. But if you're happy and fulfilled as things are, then why complicate matters?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    98% of the population never has to even think about the terms "bulk", "cut", or "supplements".

Ever.

I'm gonna agree here. The other 2% are gifted athletes, competitors and genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    So

Ever.

98%? Any source?

Source?

Me. Speaking ex cathedra from my belly button. (Bonus points if you can identify that quote)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

Ever.

This. The most important thing is showing up. Be consistent with your workouts. Do sime cardio and move some hewvy things. Eat nutrient dense foods most of the time with a few treats thrown in (but not more calories than your body needs).

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2017
    I always get my body to where I feel healthy and strong and my times, weights and reps are all on point.

if you have a progression plan in mind (i assume here that it's realistic and reasonable) and what you're doing is feeling as if it's on track towards that . . . then the 'science' probably isn't aimed at you anyway. whether it's valid science or woo.

if you have a progression plan and it doesn't feel like you're quite meeting it, i think the first thing to do is get a sanity check on the plan. AFTER that if you're still struggling, you might find it easier to pinpoint the specific places where you feel there's a gap. and then that should make it easier to narrow down which segment of the giant health-science-exercise-woo marketplace you might be a customer for.

at which point you can ask questions more specific to that particular thing. right now i'ts like yo'ure in some giant flea market without any clear things on your shopping list, and asking 'is the merchandise here any good?'

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited April 2017
    The best "supp shop" is your grocery store and your garden if you have one. Unless you are a competitive athlete there really isn't much need or benefit from supplements that you can't get through your diet. I'd pay attention to your macros and focus on eating a good amount of nutrient dense foods that meet those macros, if you aren't doing that already. As for bulking, cutting and the rest, that all depends on where you are now and where you want to go. Details needed.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    if I'd ask someone at the supp shop they upsell me for crap that costs a ton

yes, possibly. and even if not, it's not like you'd be in a strong enough position to tell the sheep from the goats anyway.

you could do what i did, which was just to read up and hang out in the kinds of world where supplements are a thing, and then make your own one-by-one shortlists of things you might be curious enough to investigate in a more concrete way. but ime, the first thing you need to begin with is some at-least-somewhat specific problem you want to 'fix'. or investigate solutions for, or whatever. until and unless you have something like that identified, i think the supplement marketplace is just like wandering around at the state fair.

if it's worth anything to you, i started lifting three years ago and the staples in my own kitchen are creatine monohydrate, fish oil and glucosamine. but once again: that's somewhat related to my specific physical situation and quirks. your 'stuff' - if any at all - might end up being quite different.