Max protein per meal for effective synthesis

Options
Firstly this isn't usually something that's a problem for me, however, yesterday I was low on protein come dinner time.

I was having steak and eggs and thought I'd add some cottage cheese taking me up to about 75g of protein for that meal.

Is having that much for one meal and only about 30 g during the day going to lead to ineffective synthesis. Or is your daily intake your daily intake regardless of time.

Currently cutting and aiming for 110g a day but it's been a week since the last shop so the cupboards are bare.

Replies

• DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that protein is best consumed in 30g amounts.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    First, I think the 30g max idea is, at best, an over generalisation (I'm assuming that an in training 5'10" male bodybuilder can synthesize more than a 5'2" lightweight, couch potato) and, the relative digestion speeds of different protein sources would confound a simple "you can only synthesise x g per hour" statement.

On practice, there seems to be some common sense in spreading protein intake about your day but in this instance I would say hitting the protein target for the day was more important than g per meal so loading up late in the day is the "least worst" option.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTF9YR6BU9k

You might find this fairly informative
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    From an n=1 point of view, I fairly regularly implement 23 hour fasts and eat 1 meal a day. My goal protein intake is somewhere around 200g which is then eaten in one sitting. I have not seen any issues doing this so far in.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    From an n=1 point of view, I fairly regularly implement 23 hour fasts and eat 1 meal a day. My goal protein intake is somewhere around 200g which is then eaten in one sitting. I have not seen any issues doing this so far in.

I feel like I need to try this one day, if for no other reason than it gives me an excuse to consume the largest bowl of sludge I'll have ever made.
  • nooneyuk88
    nooneyuk88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

That really does sound awesome.

Thanks for the link psulemon
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    There is so much B.S. info in the fitness industry, and 30g of P per meal is one of many.