How many calories

njitaliana
njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
How do I figure out how many calories to eat? I have over 100 to lose, don't get much activity (disabled) and eat 1600 calories a day.

My daughter has 50 lbs to lose, works at a school and gets about 10,000 steps each day, and eats 1200 calories a day. I don't think she is eating enough.

Where can I calculate how much we should both be eating? I did this long ago, but forget where.

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Thanks, Kelly. I went to the page and filled in all the blanks, but it's not showing anything for BMR, TDEE or calories. I'm not sure what's wrong.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    make sure you put the height in inches or cm not feet or meteres?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    yup, make sure you fill in all areas in order for it to process correctly. If something is incorrect it will stay blank at the bottom
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited March 2017
    njitaliana wrote: »
    My daughter has 50 lbs to lose, works at a school and gets about 10,000 steps each day, and eats 1200 calories a day. I don't think she is eating enough.

She's not. Assuming she's an adult, it's her call. (If she's not an adult, it's really really really not enough.) BUT at that activity level and with that much weight to lose, unless she's tiny (think sub-5'), she ought to be able to lose weight eating ~2,000 calories/day. Which makes 1200 way way way too low.

For comparison, when I had 50 pounds to lose, I was burning ~2,800 calories/day averaging ~18,000 steps/day. At the time, I weighed 190, was 5'4 tall and 40 years old. I'm now down 35 pounds and still lose weight eating more than 2,000 calories/day. I've slowed it right down, but that was intentional (took calories up to 2,300ish per day; losing 35 pounds dropped the calorie burn by 200ish).

If you have trouble getting the other calculator to work, I also like this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/