Insomnia Anonymous

shadi1993
shadi1993 Posts: 5 Member
Why are you up so late? Do you have anything on your mind? Would you like to add me as a friend? Do you smell what the rock is cookin? Share any thoughts or ask me anything bc I already know I won't be sleeping tonight =\

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited March 2017
    Hi, I'm a resident insomniac here, nice to meet you!
    Sorry, I am not much of a conversationalist, but I always answer people, as long as they seem nice.
    What time is it where you are? It is 3:30 am for me, and I have to try to sleep a bit...4ish hours seems to be my thing.
  • strifechick
    strifechick Posts: 129 Member
    Fellow insomniac here!!! Nothing in particular going on just kinda looking on my phone for something interesting, debating on just laying in the dark and hoping for sleep, the general insomnia struggle! Just discovered these boards though!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I sometimes use the late night threads to bore myself to sleep. It's working.
    (No offense to this thread. I'm just talking about the threads in general...) ;)
  • strifechick
    ketomaniac wrote: »
    Have you tried acupuncture?

I tried it like twice before mainly because I have migraines but did tell the person I had the insomnia issues as well. It didn't seem to do me any good on either front.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Should I just lay here hoping for rest or should I get up? I don't have to be awake for hours.
  • strifechick
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Should I just lay here hoping for rest or should I get up? I don't have to be awake for hours.

I think I'll attempt sleep
  • shadi1993
    shadi1993 Posts: 5 Member
    Sorry everyone I got busy with homework and didn't touch my phone! It's 430am right now in Chicago and I'm going to hit the gym before my day starts! Good luck everyone I'll post something simalar to this soon and engage

• Vikka_V
    Hi,
    no one tonight?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I have no problem falling asleep (usually by 10-10.30pm) but I'm often up around 4-5am and can't go back to sleep. Melatonin seems to help a little. Has anyone else tried it?
  • Vikka_V
    I tried Melatonin once, I had very vivid dreams which I wasn't sure whether I liked.

Drugs and supplements in general creep me out a bit, I always read about all the potential side effects and scare myself off from using it.

I figure it's just how I am, a night person. Always have been even as a little kid. I guess I'm not technically an insomniac, I just don't like sleeping at night, which can be problematic with my work schedule.
  • chickadeedee13
    chickadeedee13 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    My husband often has a hard time sleeping/staying asleep. Soaking his feet in epsom salts (magnesium is the trick) really works for him. If he misses a night it's back to no sleep.
  • strifechick
    Have you tried acupuncture?

I tried it like twice before mainly because I have migraines but did tell the person I had the insomnia issues as well. It didn't seem to do me any good on either front.

Coconut oil

What about it? Why does everyone always insist on coconut oil? I don't see why it's so great.
  • strifechick
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I tried Melatonin once, I had very vivid dreams which I wasn't sure whether I liked.

Drugs and supplements in general creep me out a bit, I always read about all the potential side effects and scare myself off from using it.

I figure it's just how I am, a night person. Always have been even as a little kid. I guess I'm not technically an insomniac, I just don't like sleeping at night, which can be problematic with my work schedule.

Melatonin never really helped me any. I've taken a few different drugs in the past most haven't really helped me at all but when I was on Ambien I tried to tear my AC unit apart in my sleep and woke up with it half apart and it was pretty creepy. I just got prescribed a new one yesterday and I woke up with a bad migraine but that could be a coincidence because I have chronic issues with them.
  • toadyfrog1
    toadyfrog1 Posts: 2 Member
    Melatonin seems to help me too. Like lots of you, I usually wake up around 3:00/3:30 and can't go back to sleep. Just started back on melatonin last nite . It did help. Woke up once but went back to sleep. Slept until 6am
  • strifechick
    How much melatonin are you taking? I used to do 10mg?
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    edited March 2017
    I had to stop taking Ambien because of weirdness too. Apparently I had an entire conversation with my daughter about why people carve pumpkins for Halloween when there are so many other things you could carve. Like, why don't we carve avocados, or apples? And we could carve peas, but that wouldn't work because they're too small. I believed I was out in my garden on a sunny day and was pointing out all the different things we could carve for Halloween. It really freaked her out when she realized I wasn't aware of what was happening. You're supposed to take it right as you go to bed because if you stay up after taking it, that's when the weird things happen. I took it in bed, but she came in to talk to me, and caught me after it took affect. Ambien is out.

Trazadone makes me wake up with a headache, and feel even worse than I would have with zero sleep, even taking half of what I'm prescribed. Trazadone is out.

Xanax is awesome. I am guaranteed to get a good night's sleep with Xanax. It's also highly addictive. And the withdrawal period is supposed to be torturous. Can't go down that path, Xanax is out too.

So I will be up tonight!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V wrote: »

Melatonin never really helped me any. I've taken a few different drugs in the past most haven't really helped me at all but when I was on Ambien I tried to tear my AC unit apart in my sleep and woke up with it half apart and it was pretty creepy. I just got prescribed a new one yesterday and I woke up with a bad migraine but that could be a coincidence because I have chronic issues with them.

Yikes, I have not tried meds, cause they creep me out. I occasionally sleepwalk, and have seen the path of destruction I have left behind. It is scary.
  • strifechick
    I had to stop taking Ambien because of weirdness too. Apparently I had an entire conversation with my daughter about why people carve pumpkins for Halloween when there are so many other things you could carve. Like, why don't we carve avocados, or apples? And we could carve peas, but that wouldn't work because they're too small. I believed I was out in my garden on a sunny day and was pointing out all the different things we could carve for Halloween. It really freaked her out when she realized I wasn't aware of what was happening. You're supposed to take it right as you go to bed because if you stay up after taking it, that's when the weird things happen. I took it in bed, but she came in to talk to me, and caught me after it took affect. Ambien is out.

Trazadone makes me wake up with a headache, and feel even worse than I would have with zero sleep, even taking half of what I'm prescribed. Trazadone is out.

Xanax is awesome. I am guaranteed to get a good night's sleep with Xanax. It's also highly addictive. And the withdrawal period is supposed to be torturous. Can't go down that path, Xanax is out too.

So I will be up tonight!

I took trazadone for a while but it never worked great just helped a bit but then it just stopped being effective at all and I used to take xanax for anxiety and it worked great for that but it never made me sleepy at all.

The ambien did cause a few other weird times. I tried taking it right before bed but I just didn't always fall asleep right away so that's when it got tricky.

I was just given sonata (I never heard of it before I always thought that was a car hahah) will give it another shot tonight. Maybe I will sleep cause I feel tired now but I usually just end up frustrated when I'm tired but can't sleep.