Favorite fish recipes?

janellevalos
janellevalos Posts: 3 Member
Recently I've been trying to eat more fish and less red meats. Trouble is I only know how to cook salmon and shrimp and pretty much the same way every time so I'm getting a little tired of it. With the salmon I do mostly lemon, parsley, and garlic and shrimp I use red pepper flakes, garlic, lemon, and sesame oil. What kinds of fish do you guys cook and how do you cook them?

Replies

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    I make blackened halibut a lot, right in a pan with avocado oil. Lately, my favorite is dover sole stuffed with lump crab meat. I mix the crab meat with a little chipotle avocado oil mayo, minced red pepper and scallions, hot sauce and old bay. I top mine with blackening seasonings but my husband likes his with garlic, bread crumbs and butter. Bake 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I eat a lot of fish...I get most of my ideas from Pinterest on preparation.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I make fish tacos often. I use cod or mahi-mahi. Cut it into small pieces (about 2oz), dredge lightly in flour mixed with Cajun seasoning and pan fry in a small amount of butter. I eat them in corn tortillas with avocado, shredded cabbage and Siracha mayo. Yum.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    We eat fish tacos alot too. Any flaky white fish that is onsale. I'm cooking for 5 so I tend to bake things more than do them in a pan...not enough pan space to feed that many people. I baked tilapia earlier this week and made a slaw to go on the tacos with lime, yogurt and just a bit of cumin and chili powder. For the grown ups we added some oleuk sambal in ours. spicy goodness.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I love making a marinade/sauce of Sriacha and pure maple syrup for a spicy-sweetness. I baste salmon or skewered shrimp with it (it's good on chicken too). For salmon, I bake it most of the way and then broil for a couple minutes to make the topping a little crispy. Or just baking it is fine too- the sauce ends up being more of a glaze than a crust when you cook it like that- still very yummy.

For fish like tilapia and swai, I usually pan-fry it in a little olive oil, and I just switch up the spices. You can find lists of spice mixes on Pinterest (like, the ingredients to make your own Cajun spice mix, or Morroccan, Indian, Greek, etc.) I've found that I save a lot of time and money by just having tons of spices available. I can buy large amounts of the same kind of meat or fish, whatever is cheap, but still mix it up daily or almost daily without having to buy special and perishable ingredients all the time.

Generally, I find most of my recipes on Pinterest. I find I can search for something very specific such as "healthy one-dish baked salmon recipes" and it will turn up exactly what I'm looking for, with many variations.