How do I sprint....

I know this sounds silly but I've never sprinted before and today as theres no Kettlebell Class on at the gym I was going to do some sprinting intervals but how do I do them? Do I just run as fast as my legs will take me for say 20 seconds then rest 30 seconds etc.

:-(

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    yes
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    yep!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited March 2017
    Be sure to get warmed up good up before you start. Sprinting cold will hurt you.
  • kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Thanks everyone
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Yes, you also don't need to start at 20 seconds, that's actually really long to sprint. I'd recommend no more than 40 yards (meters) to start. Also if you find a hill, that would help decrease chance for injury.
  • Repeat 200 meter sprints burn fat like crazy. Sprint at about 75-80% then rest 30 sec and go again. Try to add an extra one every week.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited March 2017
    KMAF00 wrote: »
    I know this sounds silly but I've never sprinted before and today as theres no Kettlebell Class on at the gym I was going to do some sprinting intervals but how do I do them? Do I just run as fast as my legs will take me for say 20 seconds then rest 30 seconds etc.

:-(

Essentials before you start with your sprints are: (i) Hamstrings/hip flexor/quads/shins focused stretches - Please do not hurry it, approach gently (ii) Warm-up (Possibly jog on the spot). Kindly look up arms swing drills for sprinters which will further ease your efforts.

Agree with and recommend incline sprints, focused on distance, as fast as you can, knees up (towards the chin) only stride as you'd imagine a horse would do if you'll be sprinting on a long and flat surface. If it's at an incline/bend, short steps with knee high sprints.

ETA: Long flat sprints VS Incline/bend sprints clarification.