Protein and carbs:how much

Options
What is the amount in grams you should consume a day of both protein and carbs. When to eat which, as in what time of the day?

Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Aim for 1.8g / protein per KG of lean body weight. A little more if you lift a lot of weights, and/or have a large calorie deficit.

carbs and fat? Whatever makes up the rest of your calorie goal. I personally like to keep carbs at 100 or lower when losing weight, but that's becuase I find it easier to eat lower carb than lower fat. The opposite might be true for you.

As to when? doesn't matter. But having fiber/protein in the morning may help with satiety.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 0.6-0.8 grams per Lb of my body weight in protein. I let carbs fall where they may. Timing is irrelevant...
  • Ayalaandrew8899
    Ayalaandrew8899 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can always be safe with 1gram of protein per pound. Now carbs and fats are tricky. It's all trial and error. There are lots of calculators on the internet to help give you an estimate. Bodybuilding.com has so many calculators to help with just about everything. But remember you decide what is best for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There are minimums needs for protein and, to a lesser degree, fat. Carbs can be skipped entirely if you wish, although few choose to do so.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is a good start. There is an online calculator which can help with macro ratios. Just remember that these are a guide only and can be adjusted to suit requirements. Many here seem to recommend more protein than recommended guidelines though.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Carbs are mostly personal preference. Protein is mostly goal-dependent, but .5 - 1g per lb of LBM (or in some cases, of goal weight) is usually a good starting point.

When you eat what doesn't really matter. Eat when you want, so you feel your best.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I shoot for 0.6-0.8 grams per Lb of my body weight in protein. I let carbs fall where they may. Timing is irrelevant...

This. If losing, aiming toward the higher end (.8 b/lb) but using a healthy goal weight is a good rule for protein. At maintenance I aim for .65-.8 g/lb, but also aim for the higher end as I'd like to build a bit of muscle and as a 40-something woman maintaining muscle is important and not easy for me (being active and doing strength building exercises is as or more important, of course).

I don't care how carbs and fats shake out, instead I focus on getting enough healthy fats (sources like nuts, fatty fish, avocado), and making mostly nutrient-dense choices when choosing carb sources.