Do u log your cooking oil?

joowelz
joowelz Posts: 170 Member
Say you sautee up some asparagus and parsnips with olive oil for dinner and use over 3 tbls of oil in the pan. When you log your meal, do you log 3 tbls of oil?

Replies

• Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Yes, I do anyway, those calories add up.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Yep!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Of course...why wouldn't you? each Tbsp has 120 calories. Why wouldn't those calories count?
  • joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    I guess I was hoping the calories would be burned away in the pan!!! Lol @cwolfman13
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2017
    joowelz wrote: »
    I guess I was hoping the calories would be burned away in the pan!!! Lol @cwolfman13

Nope...that would be nice, but nope...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Of course. But then you'll also learn you can use a lot less oil than you've probably been using.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Yep, I do... which is why more often than not I use a quick (~1 second) spritz of cooking spray for an entire meal. It's still oil, and it still has calories, but so few I figure it's fine. Anything more than that -- even simply a longer spritz of the cooking spray, or the same small spritz but in a single serving instead of a meal -- gets weighed and logged.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    yeah that seems like a really large amount of oil just to sautee. thus, you should definitely count it. it's on your food, so it's in your mouth. LOL
  • cruzeiro_96
    cruzeiro_96 Posts: 7 Member
    Say i use 3 Tbsp to cook smthng , i may log only 1 as some of it always stays on the pan. I started adding a little water now, so food won't stick
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    At 120 calories per 15ml, why wouldn't I?
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    It's rare for me to use anything besides nonfat spray or water, but when I use oil I log it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Good lord, that's a lot of oil.

I'd absolutely log it. Oil is pretty much the most calorie dense food there is. That's enough oil to completely blow your deficit if not logged.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I don't know that I would call a cooking method that uses 3tbsp of oil a saute. That sounds more like a shallow pan-fry to me.

But, yeah, I log my oil. 1tbsp = 120 calories, so not logging it would be like not logging one of the sliced of bread on a sandwich.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I would log at least some of it. Is there a bunch left in the pan or does the pan at the end or not? If it is not in the pan then it is in your food. It did not evaporate.
    I would also try using less oil. Try 1 T.