REI: When did you join?

lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
Since we're talking about REI dividends in another thread, I thought I start this one:
When did you first join REI?

Some of you weren't born then, but I'm sure there are others who can beat this.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Somewhere around 1989 or 90, I think. It was a long time ago.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Around 1929 :smile:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    About 2005, when my oldest son joined Cub Scouts and we started camping.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I don't know. 10 years ago, give or take?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    2014 - Not long after they opened a store about 2.5 hours from me. Since then, they have opened another store about 2 hr. drive away (different direction). If they open a store in Omaha, I'm only 1.5 hrs. away and that is going to be the closest they would ever put an REI store because I live in the middle of nowhere.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    2004 and oddly enough I get the whole "you have such an old member number" thing when I shop there.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited March 2017
    1972. Bought a down parka. Fairly exotic stuff in those days--at least in Ohio. Other than the Seattle store, I believe it was all mail order. Must have been a popular place--even way back then my membership number is over 400,000--but it is 6 digits, which has to be increasingly rare.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    My husband lived in Seattle in the early 80's and remembers going to their co-op there. He said that at the time it was mostly hard core climbing gear.
    I joined about 15 years ago. LOVE the fact that they stand behind everything they sell. If you don't like it, or it breaks, they will replace it, no questions asked.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I keep seeing these REI ads popping up in the forums...and then I realize it's just a bunch of threads about REI. LOL.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I was a member for one year around 2000. I realized they had nothing I couldn't get cheaper elsewhere so I threw my card away.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The time I looked at the REI in Dallas, I was not into the lifestyle to which it catered so I figured it wasn't for me. That was way back in the 1980's.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I was a member for one year around 2000. I realized they had nothing I couldn't get cheaper elsewhere so I threw my card away.

They have a really good return policy and you can get some high end stuff for a reasonable price if you shop the clearance stuff.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Since we're talking about REI dividends in another thread, I thought I start this one:

1986 ?? I was born 20 years before that, but I don't know what REI is.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    1972. Bought a down parka. Fairly exotic stuff in those days--at least in Ohio. Other than the Seattle store, I believe it was all mail order. Must have been a popular place--even way back then my membership number is over 400,000--but it is 6 digits, which has to be increasingly rare.

Mine is 07000000 or thereabouts.
  • earlnabby
    edited March 2017
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

They have a really good return policy and you can get some high end stuff for a reasonable price if you shop the clearance stuff.

Why wait for clearance when I can buy the same stuff for the same, or less, than their clearance prices right now? I can get my trail running shoes at REI for $140 or I can go to Zappo's and buy the exact same shoes for $60, also with an excellent return policy. Fleet Farm has Columbia sportswear everyday at an average of 30% less than REI, also with an excellent return policy.
  • earlnabby
    edited March 2017
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

1986 ?? I was born 20 years before that, but I don't know what REI is.

It is a high priced Yuppie outdoor recreation outfitter. Recreational Equipment, Inc. It is a co-op which is why people have cards and get rebates.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    1982 after returning to the SF Bay Area after living in Boston/DC for 8 years. Was a member of Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) while on the East Coast.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I just went in today and spent part of my dividend on a compact coffee grinder and single cup brewer for fresh coffee in the backcountry.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    I discovered REI about 10 years ago - got a new job across the county in the opposite direction from where I had worked, and there is an REI right down the road from my office. Good for them, bad for my wallet, lol! But I love REI, and get some great deals. Just used my $51 dividend towards a pair of Hoka OneOne trail running shoes from the outlet - original price was $170, they were marked way down, then the $20 off any one garage sale item coupon - bottom line, shoes and 2 pairs of REI brand socks for $38 total / flippin amazing!