Any Garmin Vivofit Users? Need help

Options
I am new to My Fitness Pal and am trying to figure out the connection between steps on Vivofit2 and amount of calories. Am I suppose to be setting Vivofit2 to activity when I go on a designated walk rather than just letting the step counter include the walk into the daily steps? For the past 15 days that I have been using My Fitness Pal and syncing with Garmin, I have not had any calories burned show up in My Fitness Pal daily log in the separate exercise category. Today, I experimented by setting an activity counter for my designated walk and saw added calories to my total for calorie burn. I had assumed the exercise column was for activities other than walking. Could someone confirm what I should be doing? Thanks.

Replies

• Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I set my MFP activity level at sedentary, so steps automatically are added as earned exercise calories. I don't set the Garmin to activities even when I exercise, I still earn calories though because my heart rate increases. I do it this way because I want to avoid accidentally having my exercise calories doubled.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I set MFP to lightly active since I walk on average 12,000 steps per day, 7 days a week. My Garmin activity class is set to 0. I chose not to sync both apps to avoid any confusions. I prefer the numbers separate and I can do the math in my head if I want to eat back some calories. I'm 5'2" 165 and MFP has me at 1490 calories daily for 1 pound a week. Garmin is set to 1560 a day. Sometimes I'm under the MFP daily goal but sometimes I eat up to 1560 calories. Since Garmin shows calories burned above your set goal, my goal is to maintain a deficit of at least 500 calories daily. If I'm at 700 or more deficit, I sometimes may eat back 100 or 200 calories depending if I'm feeling hungry.