Not sure how to log resistance band workouts?

Any advice? I know mfp overcalculates calories it is more for a rough idea, thanks in advance :)

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Strength training under cardio

I would probably manually adjust the calorie burn down to half or so, but that's what I would use. I believe most workouts, if not all, using resistance bands are a form of strength training.
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you!
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    ^ use calisthenics instead.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Strength training under cardio if your routine is more slowly paced with a reasonable rest period between sets.

use calisthenics instead if your routine is more of a "superset" with little rest periods between sets.

That's my take on it. FWIT
  • shadow2soul
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Strength training under cardio if your routine is more slowly paced with a reasonable rest period between sets.

use calisthenics instead if your routine is more of a "superset" with little rest periods between sets.

Calisthenics is exercises were you use your body weight as resistance (jumping jacks, push-ups, bodyweight squats, burpees, planks, ect..)

What your describing is a circuit routine (circuit training is also an option in the database). 1 set is several exercises with little to no rest in between and there is only a brief rest between sets.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited March 2017

Calisthenics is exercises were you use your body weight as resistance (jumping jacks, push-ups, bodyweight squats, burpees, planks, ect..)

What your describing is a circuit routine (circuit training is also an option in the database). 1 set is several exercises with little to no rest in between and there is only a brief rest between sets.

OK Fine, Calisthenics at my weight (200 #s +/-) is 12 calories per minute; Circuit training is also 12/minute. Six of one, half dozen of the other. How would you tell the OP whether to log as strength training, calisthenics or circuit training? What would you use to distinguish among them?
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    if you use a heart rate monitor you get an exact calculation
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    @perfect_storm if you use a heart rate monitor while you do strength training, you'll get a random number.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I do mine in sets, switching from body part to body part without rest inbetween. Each body part/muscle group gets rest because I'm not using it on the next set, but I keep going so that my HR stays active and I continue to burn calories. Once I've hit each body part/muscle group I consider that a circuit and start over again, so I log mine as Circuit Training. I do more bodyweight training than resistance training, but I do have bands if I want to use them. Either way works though. Strength training will always be less calories because it's calculated with rest periods. Calisthenics or Circuit Training generally keep you moving from one exercise to another so it's always going to log a bit more calories over time. If you're doing resistance training for a set, then resting, then doing that same set over again like a lifting routine, you may want to log it as strength training. If you want it to log calories burned always choose cardio, then search for your exercise.
  • shadow2soul

OK Fine, Calisthenics at my weight (200 #s +/-) is 12 calories per minute; Circuit training is also 12/minute. Six of one, half dozen of the other. How would you tell the OP whether to log as strength training, calisthenics or circuit training? What would you use to distinguish among them?

Calethestics = bodyweight resistance
    Strength training = sets with delibrate rests in between and using something as resistance beyond bodyweight (dumbbell, machines, bands, barbell, ect)
    Circiut = were you move from one exercise to the next without rest or very little rest if needed. Can be bodyweight, machine, dumbbell, band, ect...
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you, i have only recently hit my goal weight mainly through cardio, so all of this is new information for me, very helpful
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    As long as the exercise you're choosing has the burn rate you figure matches your effort, use it if you want, it really doesn't matter what it's called. You can also enter your own exercises and call them whatever you want as well, enter the number of minutes and the number of calories burned. I use an app called Endomondo and noticed long ago that things like elliptical or Circuit training still burned about the same amount of calories for me, so now instead of switching from one exercise to another I simply just leave it on Circuit training until I'm done with my workout. I generally start circuit training, then jump on my machine mid-way through for some cardio, then go back and finish my circuit training, then switch again to ab work, and finish with circuit training. It was more of a pain in the *kitten* to switch from exercise to exercise than it was to just leave it set on circuit training. Calorie burns were the same, maybe a tad less, and they are all over inflated anyway so I say who cares. I never eat back 100% of those calories anyway.