Construction world

Alright lads or ladies
Nice simple question. Quick foods/meals for working in building trade.
Busy fella trying to gain weight. I'm on the small side, always on the go even after work.
Don't get treated to a microwave and don't like anything really cold e.g pasta/rice chicken etc etc. After work I'm sorted with whatever I want (happy days) just during work needing some ideas please. Thank you thank you

Replies

• Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Veggies and dip (peanut butter or full fat dip), hard boiled eggs, nuts, nut butter sandwich, egg salad sandwich...things with protein that will keep you fueled until later. There's a list for hard gainers on here too for nutrient dense foods.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Pizza is readily available by the slice usually. Hot sub sandwiches. Tacos or hamburgers. All excellent choice for a bulk since they are high in carbs.
  • veronicav0502
    veronicav0502 Posts: 112 Member
    Not sure if you cook, but when hubs use to work in the construction world I would make him burritos, wrap them in alum foil and put in a thermos. It stayed warm until lunch if you do have a good thermos.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Pizza is readily available by the slice usually. Hot sub sandwiches. Tacos or hamburgers. All excellent choice for a bulk since they are high in carbs.
    I like cold pizza I add that to me list.
    I eat so many peanut butter sandwiches gets abit boring after a while. Tried jam and bananas
  • Movemoreguy22
    Staceygram wrote: »
    Veggies and dip (peanut butter or full fat dip), hard boiled eggs, nuts, nut butter sandwich, egg salad sandwich...things with protein that will keep you fueled until later. There's a list for hard gainers on here too for nutrient dense foods.

No such thing as hardgainers. Just don't eat enough :).
    I'm gaining weight I'm 10 half stone now 5ft 7" so I'm getting there.
    Just wondering ideas for work food
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    CDM regulations state that the minimum welfare provision includes a means for heating food. This can be a burner and not necessarily a microwave.

Speak to your employer and remind them of this. CDM applies even to small jobs, not just those that are notifiable.

Although if you are travelling around to different sites each day, it makes things difficult. You can get wide mouthed thermos flasks for soups and noodle-type dishes (stick with Stanley as cheaper brands tend not to stay hot) or go for filling sandwich options.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Staceygram wrote: »

No such thing as hardgainers. Just don't eat enough :).
    I'm gaining weight I'm 10 half stone now 5ft 7" so I'm getting there.
    Just wondering ideas for work food

They were referring to: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I eat cold leftovers- I don't care.
    left overs and sammiches.
    Peanut butter is great too.
    girlinahat wrote: »
    CDM regulations state that the minimum welfare provision includes a means for heating food. This can be a burner and not necessarily a microwave.

Speak to your employer and remind them of this. CDM applies even to small jobs, not just those that are notifiable.

Although if you are travelling around to different sites each day, it makes things difficult. You can get wide mouthed thermos flasks for soups and noodle-type dishes (stick with Stanley as cheaper brands tend not to stay hot) or go for filling sandwich options.

I never worked on a job site that had a microwave available to laborers.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

And I think OP is in the UK so different regulations. I won't pretend to know what those are as I have never worked in the building trade.

Nutella and banana sarnies? Sandwiches generally, big ones with cheese and mayo etc. Can you get to Greggs/bakeries at all? I could probably inhale several pastries without even noticing. Oh yes! On that note, donuts, pastries, muffins etc.
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Not sure if you cook, but when hubs use to work in the construction world I would make him burritos, wrap them in alum foil and put in a thermos. It stayed warm until lunch if you do have a good thermos.

Genius

• Movemoreguy22
    I might have to start buying pasties etc. I start work at 6am these no way I'm waking up at 4-30 to start cooking and wrap them in foil and put them in a thermos. Good idea for the weekend tho for a cold rainy day during the football season.
  • ifbblinds
    ifbblinds Posts: 12 Member
    i have worked in the building trades for many years on and off site, on the road all day ect. Ive seen any people suggest very dense carbs, breads, muffins, pizza? this site is all about fitness, pizza should never be suggested as a regular meal during the day. my thoughts, if you dont have a microwave do you have hot/boiling water? If you have access to boiling water you can have a variety of oats, bran, cream of wheat, grits/minute noodles ect that that is a sustainable carb without the excess sugar and fat. As for rice, pasta (wholemeal), potato, sweet potato ect they are your best options and you may just need to suck it up and eat them cold. You could look at a protein shake with carbs, I would never have just the protein shake as a meal replacement thus would add rice cakes with peanut butter/jam/honey/tins of tuna/cottage cheese/avocado/mixed nuts with it. Lastly, I have never been on site where there is no microwave, if I have there is always a power outlet (even on a civil site via a generator/site sheds) you may need to buy a cheap $50 microwave, hell get the boys to chip in, and keep it in your truck. It is easy to get caught up at a shop buying 'fast food', this will not help you in achieving any fitness goals, even 'bulking' as all you are doing is putting on fat and zero quality muscle.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

I was thinking the same thing. Once upon a time, we did have a microwave and coffee pot hooked to the generator in our night work light truck, but that was something we did out of our own pockets. No regs for that in the US that I am aware of.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    ifbblinds wrote: »
    i have worked in the building trades for many years on and off site, on the road all day ect. Ive seen any people suggest very dense carbs, breads, muffins, pizza? this site is all about fitness, pizza should never be suggested as a regular meal during the day. my thoughts, if you dont have a microwave do you have hot/boiling water? If you have access to boiling water you can have a variety of oats, bran, cream of wheat, grits/minute noodles ect that that is a sustainable carb without the excess sugar and fat. As for rice, pasta (wholemeal), potato, sweet potato ect they are your best options and you may just need to suck it up and eat them cold. You could look at a protein shake with carbs, I would never have just the protein shake as a meal replacement thus would add rice cakes with peanut butter/jam/honey/tins of tuna/cottage cheese/avocado/mixed nuts with it. Lastly, I have never been on site where there is no microwave, if I have there is always a power outlet (even on a civil site via a generator/site sheds) you may need to buy a cheap $50 microwave, hell get the boys to chip in, and keep it in your truck. It is easy to get caught up at a shop buying 'fast food', this will not help you in achieving any fitness goals, even 'bulking' as all you are doing is putting on fat and zero quality muscle.

why is pizza (fat/carbs/protein) not ok but rice cakes with peanut butter (fat/carbs/protein) OK???

OP is trying to gain weight and calories matter for weight gain ..

OP - I would suggest disregarding this post.

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Rice cakes topped with pizza sauce and cheese and pepperoni FTW. Erbody happy.
  • Movemoreguy22
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why is pizza (fat/carbs/protein) not ok but rice cakes with peanut butter (fat/carbs/protein) OK???

OP is trying to gain weight and calories matter for weight gain ..

OP - I would suggest disregarding this post.

Last time I looked rice cakes they have about 30kcal I have to eat 15 of them *kitten* plus topping to make it worth while. Sod that
    I go with your attitude now eat whatever. don't really eat sweets(candy), fizzy drinks, or desserts etc so sugar level not really that high anyway

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited March 2017

Source? All macros being equal why is wholemeal pasta better than white? Why is potato and sweet potato better than pizza crust if micros are being met elsewhere? Why is honey okay but sugar not?

I'm with OP, eat what needs to be eaten to get the calories in and meet macros.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

I was thinking the same thing. Once upon a time, we did have a microwave and coffee pot hooked to the generator in our night work light truck, but that was something we did out of our own pockets. No regs for that in the US that I am aware of.

Exactly.

If you're on a paving crew- you put double/triple wrapped burrito on the wings of the paver in the hot asphalt and hope it doesn't taste like bitumen.

Guys on commercial projects will frequently bring a little grill and tailgate at lunch- that was always fun.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

Exactly.

If you're on a paving crew- you put double/triple wrapped burrito on the wings of the paver in the hot asphalt and hope it doesn't taste like bitumen.

Guys on commercial projects will frequently bring a little grill and tailgate at lunch- that was always fun.

Hahaha, I'm amused that you mentioned the asphalt cooking. We have a rule in that if you see a seemingly random pile of asphalt that is clearly out of place, check it for food before snatching it with a shovel. No one wants to be the guy that ruined the boss' lunch.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    I know its not what the op is asking for.... but im in the industry and as they say eat like a dog same mean everyday for lunch 1 cup broccoli 1 cup green beans 160grams of chicken breast then 4 hours later the same. Unless im bulking and swap beans for brown rice.
    I pack lunch on weekends and everytime i go out..... i just eat as its a process like sleep.