Anyone else have not much of an appetite?

Options
KassLea22
KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
I am trying extremely hard to gain weight. Everyone always tells me I just need to eat more but I naturally have a very little appetite and I get full so fast. I hate telling people my weight because I feel like I get judged for it a little bit. So preface what I'm about to say, I want to say that I have some health issues that make it hard for me to gain weight first and foremost. I have hypothyroidism, which is odd because most people with hypothyroidism are overweight. However I have an extremely high metabolism and the medication I take for it boosts my metabolism, since most people who have hypo have low metabolism, and I'm probably the only woman in the world that doesn't like that side effect! Secondly I've been to the doctor many times and, aside from that which I've had under control for over a decade, I am extremely healthy. My blood pressure is great, my cholesterol levels are great, i'm active, and I've been told by many doctors, and trainers, that I'm perfectly fine the way I am. I just personally want to gain weight for my own reasons. I have muscles, but to get to the point I want to get to I need to be bigger which means eating more and gaining weight.

I am 5'9'' and I weigh 105 pounds. Seems really low and it is, and I think when most people hear that number and they've never seen me they envision this heroin addict look. People who I tell my weight who know me in person are we shocked because They actually think I weigh more because I look perfectly normal, I'm thin but I don't look anorexic or anything. Part of the reason why I look like I weigh more than I do is because I have muscles. I just have a super small bone structure and I've been this thin my whole life. I try really hard to eat a lot and it gets the point where I basically have to force-feed myself. And it's not as though I'm eating so little, I eat a fair number of calories (more than most people who are trying to lose weight eat) but to get to the weight that I want I have to eat way more than I'm used too. Especially taking my metabolism into consideration, I have to eat a lot of calories. My goal is to get up to around 115 pounds, which is still technically under weight, but definitely a goal I have. It just seems like my metabolism and my genetics are really working against me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on protein powders or high calorie healthy food that I should try out? I could definitely eat fast food, or the simple carbs, and easily get all of my calories I need to and gain the weight, but I'm really trying to put on weight the healthy way. I also never really eat fast food or what I would consider junk food so it just makes it difficult.

I genuinely need help here so please don't just comment saying I'm looking for attention, because I'm not. I'm very frustrated.

Replies

• KassLea22
    Options
    And I just read the hard gainer post which answered a lot of my questions!
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Squat and deadlift more, you will be hungry!!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I bought a gainer powder for my son that's almost 1000 calories when mixed with whole milk. I'm sure the hard gainer post already told you to eat calorie dense foods like nuts and nut butters, oils/fats, etc. Since you are otherwise healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned about eating some "junk food" every once in a while. I just had a delicious sandwich from jack in the box that was 960 calories alone. When I was trying to gain weight, I ate a lot of ice cream. :D
  • Bridogg72
    Bridogg72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I find drinking calories through homemade whey shakes increases my calorie intake
  • KassLea22
    Options
    I bought a gainer powder for my son that's almost 1000 calories when mixed with whole milk. I'm sure the hard gainer post already told you to eat calorie dense foods like nuts and nut butters, oils/fats, etc. Since you are otherwise healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned about eating some "junk food" every once in a while. I just had a delicious sandwich from jack in the box that was 960 calories alone. When I was trying to gain weight, I ate a lot of ice cream. :D

What is the name of the powder? And I do love ice cream so that's definitely something I could do! I would actually say ice cream is my vice LOL
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    "People who I tell my weight who know me in person are we shocked because They actually think I weigh more because I look perfectly normal, I'm thin but I don't look anorexic or anything. Part of the reason why I look like I weigh more than I do is because I have muscles."

I find this very hard to believe, because it's so atypical. That's a BMI of 15.5. Surprising that doctors say you are perfectly healthy when that's a level where they start hospitalizing people. Every body is different, though, so you should listen to your doctors. If they say you're fine, you probably are. It's just hard to believe that you have muscles and that other people think you are at a normal weight.

Have you consulted with your doctor specifically with this weight gain question in mind? There may be another health issue that needs to be addressed or maybe your meds need adjusting. You are well below normal weight for your height. I'm surprised you have much muscle at all. You might try some of those nutritional shakes that they give older people who have trouble keeping weight on or consult with a dietician. Good luck! :)
  • KassLea22
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    "People who I tell my weight who know me in person are we shocked because They actually think I weigh more because I look perfectly normal, I'm thin but I don't look anorexic or anything. Part of the reason why I look like I weigh more than I do is because I have muscles."

I find this very hard to believe, because it's so atypical. That's a BMI of 15.5. Surprising that doctors say you are perfectly healthy when that's a level where they start hospitalizing people. Every body is different, though, so you should listen to your doctors. If they say you're fine, you probably are. It's just hard to believe that you have muscles and that other people think you are at a normal weight.

Have you consulted with your doctor specifically with this weight gain question in mind? There may be another health issue that needs to be addressed or maybe your meds need adjusting. You are well below normal weight for your height. I'm surprised you have much muscle at all. You might try some of those nutritional shakes that they give older people who have trouble keeping weight on or consult with a dietician. Good luck! :)

Well with all do respect people are different and you don't know me in person and have never seen me before so I think that's a little unfair. Plus there's a big difference between people who are naturally thin, and people who are not naturally thin that are thin.That's why I explain myself because I feel like I get judged. That's why I've hesitated posting this because I knew that would be the reaction I get.

I'm not saying I look like a fitness model by any means but I do look like I work out, and I do quite a bit. I know I'll never look like a fitness model or a boxer, I just don't have the build for it.

I'm also a couple months shy of being 27 years old and I have a very good relationship with my Doctor And I've never met a Doctor Who wasn't totally honest with their patient. Some people are just thin and I think it's unfair to judge that person or think that they're lying just because they have a different body type then what is the norm. Some people have a BMI that Is obese and they have a really difficult time losing weight or eating less, and if I made the same comments about the lying I would get totally yelled at....justifiably so.

I wouldn't be asking for help if I wasn't telling the truth, that would make absolutely no sense.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different as you said. Some people find that cardio makes them hungry, but it kills my appetite. Maybe you could try switching some/all of your cardio over to weightlifting? Lifting, Stronglifts 5x5 specifically, makes me HUNGRY, and I'm not alone in that. It also has the side benefit of helping you gain muscle along with the fat, assuming you want that.

The hardgainers list is perfect for the specific foods. High density. When I try to bulk when training heavily (and by try, I mean I lost weight on ~2800 calories a day *sigh*), Ben and Jerrys was a go to when I was full and needed more calories. 270 cals/HALF a cup. Nom nom nom. I also wouldn't worry so much about "junk" food. No such thing. Get enough protein, fruits, veg... then fill in with whatever you want. I'd aim if I were you for half a pound a week gain. Women can only gain about .25lb/week of muscle at a 50/50 ratio, so that maximizes your muscle gain and doesn't make you gain too fast which can be hard to deal with.

Good luck!
  • jenilla1
    Options
    KassLea22 wrote: »

Well with all do respect people are different and you don't know me in person and have never seen me before so I think that's a little unfair. Plus there's a big difference between people who are naturally thin, and people who are not naturally thin that are thin.That's why I explain myself because I feel like I get judged. That's why I've hesitated posting this because I knew that would be the reaction I get.

I'm not saying I look like a fitness model by any means but I do look like I work out, and I do quite a bit. I know I'll never look like a fitness model or a boxer, I just don't have the build for it.

I'm also a couple months shy of being 27 years old and I have a very good relationship with my Doctor And I've never met a Doctor Who wasn't totally honest with their patient. Some people are just thin and I think it's unfair to judge that person or think that they're lying just because they have a different body type then what is the norm. Some people have a BMI that Is obese and they have a really difficult time losing weight or eating less, and if I made the same comments about the lying I would get totally yelled at....justifiably so.

I wouldn't be asking for help if I wasn't telling the truth, that would make absolutely no sense.

Nobody said you were lying. What I said was that it's hard to believe, since typically, a person at your BMI is severely underweight. I said that you should listen to your doctors and if they said you were healthy, then you probably are. No need to get defensive. :)
  • KassLea22
    edited March 2017
    Options

Nobody said you were lying. What I said was that it's hard to believe, since typically, a person at your BMI is severely underweight. I said that you should listen to your doctors and if they said you were healthy, then you probably are. No need to get defensive. :)

You're totally right I'm sure I got a little defensive. But I can't tell you how frustrating it is to go into online forums asking for help and getting the response that I am unhealthy and I need to see a doctor because of my BMI. In actuality A lot of doctors and trainers don't use BMI because it only takes height and weight into consideration and no body is like another (no pun intended). whole family is basically built like me. I guess I should say I am built like them! My grandfather was 6-2, in the Navy in WWII, and a construction worker and he never weighed over 140 pounds and was a healthy strong person. My dad is 6-1 and according to BMI he should be 30 pounds lighter. But if he was 30 pounds lighter he would look sickly because he's a huge athlete. My mom is 5-8 and was 105 pounds until she gained 30 pounds with my older sister...and 4 weeks later without doing any exercise she was back down to 105. It really wasn't until she was about 45 when she started to gain more weight. But my mom is 60 now and only weighs about 130 pounds and she never exercise and eats whatever she wants!

But in my defense when you tell someone that something they said is hard to believe it comes off like you were trying to call them a liar. It's totally possible that wasn't your intention but it does kind of come off that way so it's possible that it was a poor choice of words on your end... generally people don't like to feel like they are being called a liar of course LOL!
  • jenilla1
    Options

You're totally right I'm sure I got a little defensive. But I can't tell you how frustrating it is to go into online forums asking for help and getting the response that I am unhealthy and I need to see a doctor because of my BMI. In actuality A lot of doctors and trainers don't use BMI because it only takes height and weight into consideration and no body is like another (no pun intended). whole family is basically built like me. I guess I should say I am built like them! My grandfather was 6-2, in the Navy in WWII, and a construction worker and he never weighed over 140 pounds and was a healthy strong person. My dad is 6-1 and according to BMI he should be 30 pounds lighter. But if he was 30 pounds lighter he would look sickly because he's a huge athlete. My mom is 5-8 and was 105 pounds until she gained 30 pounds with my older sister...and 4 weeks later without doing any exercise she was back down to 105. It really wasn't until she was about 45 when she started to gain more weight. But my mom is 60 now and only weighs about 130 pounds and she never exercise and eats whatever she wants!

But in my defense when you tell someone that something they said is hard to believe it comes off like you were trying to call them a liar. It's totally possible that wasn't your intention but it does kind of come off that way so it's possible that it was a poor choice of words on your end... generally people don't like to feel like they are being called a liar of course LOL!

That's cool. I understand. B)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hello. I completely sympathise! My stats are different (I'm a lot older,5'3 and now,after 7 months since joining mfp, weigh 128 lbs) but I too have always struggled to gain weight,have a small appetite and feel full quickly. I have a chronic condition which also affects my appetite.
    The hard gainer post ,which you've now read,is fantastic and full of great advice.
    What has helped me is eating high calorie snacks,drinking my calories on days when I don't feel like eating,and choosing full fat options for things like milk ,yoghurt etc. I add oil and butter to cooking and have learned to like peanut butter.
    I weigh and log my food as accurately as I can. When I first started ,I realised I hadn't been eating as much as I had thought. I also pre- plan my meals at the start of the day if I can ,so I can see how many calories I might have left over and make sure I make up the difference.
    I started a training programme and I log exercise calories and eat them back.
    Since I started training and eating more,my appetite has improved but there are still days when I don't feel like eating. I've become better at eating when I'm not hungry!
    I know what you mean about side effects of medication and chronic illness. I'm on long term steroids (prednisone) which are supposed to increase appetite and cause weight gain but they've done the opposite for me. Good luck !
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Just a bit of caution, I would be wary of many gaining powders. Based on www.labdoor.com, most of them are complete crap. They always rank the lowest of the low. Essentially, they have mediocre protein contents and the rest is filler (maltadextrin and dextrose); pretty much the equivalent of protein powder + pixie sticks. I do understand that I can be helpful, at least short terms, but if possible, I'd see if you can make a protein shake with a good protein powder, oats, peanut butter, ice cream, etc.. At least it would have a much better nutrient profile; www.theproteinchef.co has some good recipes if you need some ideas.
  • thaggarda86
    thaggarda86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I'm 31 years old 4 kids and never did any drugs. I only weigh 100lbs. I've been trying to gain weight for years and nothing's working. Plus I have no appetite at all so I have to force myself to eat and after a few bites I'm feeling full. It's a sad feeling I want to get up to 135lbs but not really sure how to. If I can figure out how to get my appetite together it might work. So you're definently not alone
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Gaining mass is about calorie surplus. Lol, we just got in 15lbs bags of MUTANT MASS protein powder and a serving is 1000 calories. Where the hell was this when I was younger?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • HFM11
    HFM11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Gaining mass is about calorie surplus. Lol, we just got in 15lbs bags of MUTANT MASS protein powder and a serving is 1000 calories. Where the hell was this when I was younger?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Probably wasn't around for the better. All of the weight gainers that have been tested according to labdoor.com are the worst of the worst when it comes to quality. I think the best one is rated a "F".
  • LonsyBoy
    LonsyBoy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling to eat and get an appetite then try some antibiotics... i know wtf?
    when I take antibiotics I'm never full, not always hungry but i wont stop eating! :D
    Ive asked around and apparently its a common thing that people usually wont notice, cant promise it will work and its not always appropriate to take them when you're healthy but its a small suggestion to help get your body into eating more and stretching the stomach to accomodate more intake
  • haysh84
    haysh84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    KassLea I'm right there with you. But I actually am mildly hyperthyroid. Have always been thin but about a year ago when the hyperthyroidism got worse I lost a couple pounds (which is A LOT on a thin person) I started meds. And while I'm ok now, I've only managed to gain back 1-2 lbs. Hyper usually makes you more hungry and now that I'm normal I realize my appetite has gone down and I have to force myself even to eat snacks. I just started back trying to gain weight but it might help to increase calories slowy. My goal is set at increasing 1/2 lb/wk and it's still hard to meet some days. Try switching dairy to full fat like whole milk Greek yogurt, quinoa instead of rice for the extra protein and nutrients... Eat more nuts, avocado.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    if you dont have an appetite then see a dr and talk to them about it. could be you have a health issue causing it. my daughter has hypothyroid and she had no appetite,now that she is on meds she has an appetite.