This is getting boring...that's not good.

Options
Hello. I've had a life-long weight issue and I know what the problem is. Boredom. So I need some stuff to make this more fun, exciting, etc. It was not exciting to see the scale not move last week. I'm eating much less than I did before starting the program, but never ate monstrous amounts...just the wrong stuff.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as the wrong stuff. Just too much of it.

Do you have any activities you like to do? Any training plans you would like to attempt? If I get bored it is because I don't have a goal to work towards.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Weight loss (and maintenance after that) isn't all fireworks every week.

You could set up some personal challenges but, IMO, those are easier to set up within exercise goals than within calorie intake goals. My calorie intake goal is to find a comfort zone that I can stick to without too much effort.
  • quotelawrence
    quotelawrence Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    boring is in my mind as soon as I experience involvement boring evaporates and I feel better getting to know people I am involved in Garmin Connect and in mapmywalk, I try to remember I am not trying to loss weight for excitement or to hide in other peoples drama I feel better when I look, and eat and think better, it is going to be a great day today go out and take a walk
  • Brandi_Allison
    Brandi_Allison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I get bored I try to shake up my workouts. Try a new class, or just working out at a different time of day can make all the difference!
  • Dentice143
    Dentice143 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you are getting bored with your diet, I suggest new recipes. If you are bored counting calories, I would suggest you challenging yourself to count your macros while staying within your calories, which will also effect your recipes. If you are bored with your activity, I agree with the others to switch up your exercise routine. One of my favorite sites to use, that is completely free, is fitnessblender.com. They are home workouts, with or without equipment, and different levels of intensity.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Also mix up your workout music. I know it works for me the same diet and workout to a different soundtrack helps.
  • quintessential1
    quintessential1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Are u calorie counting? I've learned never to rely on friends. Do you, love you and focus.
  • aliciabernstein
    aliciabernstein Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on the physical wins to save myself from the boredom, e.g. I can walk up 13 flights of stairs and not feel like I am going to die and I can breathe through a 6-mile jog (9-10 mile pace). Buying a cute dress 1 -2, sizes too small also helps mix it up.

When I get bored of my salads I turn them into a soup or add a new herb (Cilantro is my favorite). I renently added a cardio workout to my regiment that is just super stupid fun :smile: Good luck!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as the wrong stuff. Just too much of it.

This. I used to think exactly like you, OP - until I started weighing and logging my food. It's eye opening, I can tell ya! I was eating way more calories than I thought. Now, I still eat the food I like (including chocolate, bacon, etc.), just not in the quantities I may have wanted to eat before.

Unfortunately the process can be a bit dull - and like @seska422 said, it's not all fireworks every week. But it is SO worth sticking to it! Try to find some goals that are not related to the scale - even if it's just to walk a bit further or run a bit faster each week (or any other activity you like to do - improve your golf swing or your tennis serve or your Frisbee throw!). Also, maybe challenge yourself to find a new low-calorie recipe that you enjoy each week.

If you're finding that you can only eat "boring" food in order to stay within your calorie goal, try reducing your weight loss expectations and increasing your calories so that you can have more food. And as above, look for interesting new recipes to try - the internet is chock full of them.

If you like games, perhaps you could check out Nerd Fitness and start working on "leveling up your life"! :)

Stick with it, and try to find ways to make it more interesting for yourself. The time will pass anyway, you may as well use it to work on your goals. Don't do it for the fireworks - do it for YOU and for the way you'll look and feel. :)