Adopt ME!

Options
Hey Mentor! I want to be ADOPTED❤️
I'm not sure where to start so here is me in a nutshell...

-I'm a 39 year old from Missouri
-4'8" and 107lbs I know what your thinking..this girl is crazy. She doesn't need to go on a diet...well it's true..yes I'm short so I don't have a lot of room for fat lol. I've had recent liver surgery and can't seem to get my core back to shape and doesn't help that I'm a carb-o-holic either!
-I have always been active but ever since surgery I've managed to lose it all. My main goal is to ultimately train for triathlons again, have a toned stomach with defined abs, upper and lower strength and just be overall healthy, strong, happy, energetic and down right sexy

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    NOTE: if anyone messages you trying to sell you anything, block them. You open yourself up a little with a post like this, but you do not have to buy a program or any sort of supplements...

About me: I'm 42, from Georgia, and 5'5.5". I am now ~128 after losing roughly 50 pounds in 2014. I maintained in 2015. Gained 10-12 in 2016 and at the start of 2017 I buckled down to get the extra pounds off. And I did. My happy maintenance range is 125-128. Scale lately has fluctuated in the 127-129 range. The secret to my success? Calorie counting. Regular use of a food scale to be accurate in my calories logged. And being more active. The old me was a couch/desk potato. Now I make an effort to move more because its good for me and it burns calories.

The important thing for you to keep in mind is that because you are small (relative to other people looking to lose weight) is that it will be important for you to be accurate in your logging. Any estimation could wipe out a deficit. Your BMR is about 1200. I assume you want to lose fat and tone/build muscle. The down side is that losing fat (happens at a deficit) and gaining muscle (happens at a surplus) work against each other. I believe most alternate thru cutting (deficit) and bulking (surplus) phases of 4-8 weeks each, while strength training.

If you have a desk job/sedentary lifestyle: then your total daily energy needs would only be about 1440-1500. Higher if your job/hobbies are more active.
  • trickeydesigns
    trickeydesigns Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply! Very nice to meet you :smile: ever since I had my liver surgery I am unable to lose weight and tone my midsection. I'm struggling with staying under my carb intake. If I had a plan to follow I would probably do a lot better. I've tried several low carb recipes and just don't get satisfied and feel weak. I'm doing well staying under my calories daily but everything seems to have carbs and sugar. I just ordered some Ideal Lean protein and BCAAs for days that I'm working out. Not sure if I should try a meal replacement as well to help? Thank you for taking the time to write me.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to stay low carb? Note: I know nothing about liver issues and if that would impact your macros. But if you have no medical reason (like diabetes) to be careful of carbs, and avoiding them is not working, then try a more moderate carb intake perhaps.
  • trickeydesigns
    Options
    With a fatty liver they said to eat low carb. I also have pre diabetes and it runs in my family. But I also read a article saying that if you weightlift or do cardio that low carb is not a good idea. I'm confused lol
    This is the article
    https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/2011/08/the-hidden-dangers-of-a-low-carbohydrate-diet/
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Did your doc give you any guidelines as to what 'low carb' means for you? Is it under 50 grams a day, under 100 grams? Perhaps your doc can refer you to a registered dietitian who can help you understand more specifics as to what you need.

I don't know about this article. I can't tell who wrote it, or what their credentials are.

• trickeydesigns
    Options
    No he didn't but now that you say that I'm gonna ask
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I don't think you're crazy and I doubt anybody else here does. It doesn't matter how little or how big an amount of weight you want to lose. We're all here to support each other and we all deserve to feel comfortable in our body. I'm not experienced enough to mentor anyone but I wish you good luck in your journey. :)
  • trickeydesigns
    Options
    Thank you so much! That is so sweet. It's nice meeting new people and all the encouragement! Thank you for taking the time to write me
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    How are you doing?
  • GoddessofBody
    GoddessofBody Posts: 12 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Good luck! I want a toned stomach with defined abs as well! I haven't seen that in a long time, but I've mostly always had a flat or flat-soft stomach, which has gotten really boring now as I want the athletic feel and look and energy.

If you do a lot of social eating, I'd say one of the biggest challenges would be to consciously eat much smaller portions than other people around you because of your size. I mean I'm just over 5'2", and while there are some people (women) that are shorter than that, I still have to make that conscious effort not to eat like the men or the taller women around me, lol.
  • trickeydesigns
    Options
    Hi staci. I haven't been able to get into my doctor yet but I'm doing well. Doing good staying under my calorie goal but feeling so tired and don't have much energy.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Hi staci. I haven't been able to get into my doctor yet but I'm doing well. Doing good staying under my calorie goal but feeling so tired and don't have much energy.

I am no expert/no medical experience... But the tired/lack of energy could be a few different things. Vitamin/nutrient deficiency, thyroid imbalance, iron deficiency, blood sugar issues, etc. It also could just mean you're cutting calories too low or might do better on different macros.
  • trickeydesigns
    Options
    Hmm very interesting! Thank you Staci! I'm going to check into all of these.