Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is There a Metabolic Advantage to a Ketogenic Diet?

LucasWilland
LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
edited March 2017 in Debate Club
Bottom line: all the metabolic ward studies have consistently shown the same thing: there is no advantage for fat loss on a Ketogenic diet compared to one that is higher in carbohydrates.

Takeaway points: If you are on a ketogenic diet and truly enjoy it and it is working great for you, then by all means continue to do it, but don't think that you can scarf down as many grass- fed steaks as you want without there being consequences, in spite of low insulin or not.

Takeaway point number two: If the next time you are at an Italian restaurant and your best friend says that you can't have pasta because it will make you fat, proceed to:
a. slap the person silly
b. Show them this article and kindly explain to them what insulin actually does.

Since you are a good person, I predict that you will take the second option, but if your friend still doesn't listen, proceed to shrug and say, "oh, well, more yummy stuff for me."

http://shreddedbyscience.com/ketogenic-diets-actually-work-study-review/

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited March 2017
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited March 2017
    Google "Kevin hall keto diet study" and you'll get some fun results.

"In defense of the insulin model of obesity"

"Carbz is stil evl"

"Kevin Hall is a big poopyhead"

Or my favorite: "You can have mah gainz when you pry them out of my cold, sticky, buttered fingers"

It's as much a religious argument as a scientific one.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    so basically in people with no medical condition low carb/keto = moderate protein/moderate carb/moderate fat...

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    so basically in people with no medical condition low carb/keto = moderate protein/moderate carb/moderate fat...

Short answer? Eat less than you burn.
  • BrendaMHirst
    BrendaMHirst Posts: 4 Member
    What I love about keto and I think this is why people lose weight so much on it is because you don't get sugar spikes, therefore you eat what you can eat and feel full, if you overeat of course you're going to not drop the weight. I have a cheat day once a week and get back onto it the next day only because I weight train and I don't want my base calories to drop below 1400 when shredding. On keto I struggle to hit this 1400 and can easily go on 1000 calories and thats where the weightloss comes in and nd reason why I track my calories to ensure I'm eating enough to energise my body. But high carb diets work to so long as you don't mix fat and carbs together you are okay
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    What I love about keto and I think this is why people lose weight so much on it is because you don't get sugar spikes, therefore you eat what you can eat and feel full, if you overeat of course you're going to not drop the weight. I have a cheat day once a week and get back onto it the next day only because I weight train and I don't want my base calories to drop below 1400 when shredding. On keto I struggle to hit this 1400 and can easily go on 1000 calories and thats where the weightloss comes in and nd reason why I track my calories to ensure I'm eating enough to energise my body. But high carb diets work to so long as you don't mix fat and carbs together you are okay

wrong, protein causes insulin to spike almost as much as carbs do. So if you are Keto, which is by nature high protein, you are getting a similar insulin spike.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member

It is best to mix your carbs with a fat. If you are not overeating carbs and eat them with a fat (think potato with a pat of butter) there will be no significant blood sugar spike because the fat slows the digestion of the carbs. If keto works for you so be it, but I have tried keto and never felt full, ever. It doesn't work for everybody. Insulin helps you feel full it is a side effect, so if you introduce insulin with protein and carbs but eat them with a fat you will feel full.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Great to see a Shredded by Science link in here =)