Help me figure this out pls.

Options
So I'm a newbie to macros.
I've been reading Thinner, leaner, stronger by Mike Matthews ( recommended here thanks).
So I have started my lifting program, have lifted before so no problems there.
I've done the maths using IIFYM and this is what I'm getting.
166lb female 5'3"
Aiming for 1500 cals a day.
Active job as in on my feet all day.
35% carbs
25% fat
40% protein.
I have worked that out as
Carbs 525 calories
Fat 375 calories
Protein 600 calories.
Am I doing the maths right?
Any help appreciated, I'm just trying to simplify it as much as possible to start with until it all sinks in.
Tia.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Work it out in grams, not calories.

Divide protein and carb calories by 4, and fat calories by 9 to work out your grams...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The math is right. And if you feel satiated/satisfied at that level: go for it. Don't drive yourself insane though trying to hit macros exactly. Allow some leeway. Such as +/- some amount.
  • skellymama1
    skellymama1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran thanks but I'm going to go with the program I have for the month and see how I get on.
    @livingleanlivingclean thanks, does this sound right?
    Carbs 130g
    Fat 40g
    Protein 150g

So a boiled egg has 1.5g of carb, 5g of fat and 8g protein and 78 calories as an example.

I'm just trying to figure out what foods to eat to stay within both the calorie and macro goals.
    Trying to meal plan for the week ahead.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Math is close enough to be correct. I would have trouble hitting that protein number eating 2000 cals.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    @kommodevaran thanks but I'm going to go with the program I have for the month and see how I get on.
    @livingleanlivingclean thanks, does this sound right?
    Carbs 130g
    Fat 40g
    Protein 150g

So a boiled egg has 1.5g of carb, 5g of fat and 8g protein and 78 calories as an example.

I'm just trying to figure out what foods to eat to stay within both the calorie and macro goals.
    Trying to meal plan for the week ahead.

I would personally lower protein slightly and increase fat...

And kind of yes to the egg... Mine don't have that many carb grams.. But you have the right idea...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Math is close enough to be correct. I would have trouble hitting that protein number eating 2000 cals.

I do it on 1400....
  • skellymama1
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    I suppose a protein shake would hit the number each day. Can I ask why you would lower protein and increase fat? @livingleanlivingclean
    My aim is fat loss, I have weight trained on and off over the years so I carry a bit of muscle put I really need to shift the fat.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Eating fat does not make you fat. Eating more calories than your body needs increases your fat stores.

Avoiding fat does not make your body lose fat. Eating at a deficit makes your body turn to its fat stores.

Fat is needed by the body. For healthy brain functions, for healthy nails/hair/skin and it aids in the absorption of some vitamins and nutrients.

Thanks guys,
    I suppose a protein shake would hit the number each day. Can I ask why you would lower protein and increase fat? @livingleanlivingclean
    My aim is fat loss, I have weight trained on and off over the years so I carry a bit of muscle put I really need to shift the fat.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need a lot of protein unless you are trying to bulk up. If your aim is weight loss, your calorie deficit should be your main concern. Eating less and lots of cardio are the best ways to create a calorie deficit. Eating fat doesn't cause you to gain fat when you are at a calorie deficit because your body is looking for any sources of energy it can find. The fat in your blood stream gets converted into energy whether it is coming from fat release by your cells or it is coming from food you ate.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    You probably don't need a lot of protein unless you are trying to bulk up. If your aim is weight loss, your calorie deficit should be your main concern. Eating less and lots of cardio are the best ways to create a calorie deficit. Eating fat doesn't cause you to gain fat when you are at a calorie deficit because your body is looking for any sources of energy it can find. The fat in your blood stream gets converted into energy whether it is coming from fat release by your cells or it is coming from food you ate.

I think protein is important when you're in a deficit to help retain as much muscle as you can, but OP, I think 150 is too much, especially considering your stats, and the low amount of fat. Like @StaciMarie1974 pointed out, fat is important..... Eating too little isn't healthy.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Protein is important but at the OPs height and weight and without knowing BF% 150g does seem a bit excessive.

Cardio giving a nice calorie burn isn't important to everyone. Lifting is muscle sparing, pretty essential if you have a firm aesthetic goal.
  • skellymama1
    Options
    I can't do any cardio due to injuries so its strength training only. I'm not cutting out all fats at all. I put my stats in and this was the number I got. Bf is 27%, I'm looking to retain muscle while dropping fat. Is 40g of fat a day really too low? Im sure I'll find that out as I go on if I'm having trouble hitting the numbers I will adjust.
    I'm really struggling getting my head around it
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I can't do any cardio due to injuries so its strength training only. I'm not cutting out all fats at all. I put my stats in and this was the number I got. Bf is 27%, I'm looking to retain muscle while dropping fat. Is 40g of fat a day really too low? Im sure I'll find that out as I go on if I'm having trouble hitting the numbers I will adjust.
    I'm really struggling getting my head around it

I'd increase fats now rather than finding out later that you've dropped them too much. I'd personally not go below 50g, and I'm similar stats to you...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd increase fats and lower protein a bit. I can easily hit 100-120g of protein a day but I'd have to sacrifice quite a few other things, some of which keep me sane, to hit 150g a day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    40% of protein is way unnecessary IMO.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, have you compared the IIFYM calculator to what TLS is suggesting? I am doing BLS, and I know Mike Matthews tends to be on the more cautious side when it comes to protein, so he tends to put it near 1g/lb because some studies would support it; although, some of the more recent reviews would suggest more of a range (1.5-2.2g/kg of weight or ~.6-1g per lb). So if you don't hit that protein number, don't stress too much. Personally, I do 1g per lb (175g) because of satiety. But I have days at 140 or even less and days of 200g+
  • skellymama1
    Options
    OK thanks all, I'll adjust the protein down and fats up and see how I go.