Family bringing me down :/

dec056
dec056 Posts: 87 Member
Hi everyone. I've come here for family advice yet again.
I'm 40-something days away from graduating college with a degree in nursing. I've applied for 5-6 jobs to no avail, and I'm getting really discouraged at this point. A lot of my friends are getting job offers and accepting positions. I haven't even gotten so much as an offer, but I'm continuing to try anyways.

I was talking to my mom earlier about the orientation lengths at different hospitals in the area. I was telling her that at the hospital I currently work at, the only way to get a decent orientation is to do the apprenticeship and sign a contract. If I don't do the apprenticeship, orientation is 6 weeks. If I do it, it is 12 weeks. She made the remark, "okay then, just graduate and don't work" and then proceeded to tell me that I haven't really applied for any jobs. I'm extremely mad at her and I hate being dragged down when I'm already feeling discouraged. I've told her that and she seems not to care and I'm the one in the wrong because I told her she was being nasty.

How would you approach this?

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Keep applying. You'll get a job eventually. But don't give up or get discouraged! You need to become independent and move out. I'm sorry your mom isn't supportive. I can't even understand why she wouldn't be, but that's none of my business.

You're an adult now so get out there on your own, make your own living, and set the boundaries for yourself regarding your relationship with your mom.
  • dec056
    Thanks guys
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Are you only applying for positions close to where you currently live? It could be exciting (and definitely healthy) for you to move somewhere far away from your family for awhile and make a completely fresh start.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    You may be feeling down because your friends already got jobs. How about talking to THEM about how they got them? Checking out their resumes? How they find and apply for jobs?

After you get a job you will be very much relieved and MAY find it easier to relate with people at home.

Moving out and away is a possibility. A very expensive and stressful in itself one. I wouldn't consider it without figuring out how much housing, utilities, car, setting up a household, etc are. I also wouldn't consider it while I was stressed. We make bad decisions when stressed.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    I'm not a nurse so not sure I can help you out here.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Your cv may need changing. Ask your friends to give you their cv and use that as a template. Since you not getting a response. Don't give up.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    I think it's a little drastic to throw away your family and move. I'm not sure what the orientation and apprenticeship is about, maybe your mother doesn't get it either? You have applied for 5-6 jobs but your mother doesn't know? Is she under the impression that you have done nothing?

Let it drop for a couple of days to cool off, than tell her that you have been applying, just not hearing anything back. On your side it would be a good idea for you to follow up with the places where you applied. Call the personal department and say something along the lines of "I sent my resume to your facility a while ago and I was wondering if you have any questions on my experience?" or "I am excited about the possibility of working at your facility, would it be possible to set up an interview?"

Sometimes it's all about the follow through and you have to make yourself known to the powers that be. Good luck in your job hunt

One last thing...social media. Google your name and see what pops up. If they are considering you for employment you can guarantee anyone considering you is doing just that. If, for example, your FB is full of pictures of you holding red cups or talking about "those B's" or anything less that cute and social DELETE THE ACCOUNT.
  • JennyHsavage
    JennyHsavage Posts: 123 Member
    Keep it positive in your head x keep applying and dickie up your CV and when u get a job tell mom x your hairy arsed enough now and u don't need mams approval

Ps well done on your nursing x
  • brxtt
    brxtt Posts: 23 Member
    okay 1. congrats on your accomplishment of becoming a nurse! that's seriously wonderful but 2. why come so far to stop now? don't be discouraged! just keep going. it sucks your mom is being all "blah" and whatever, but who cares? did she hold your hand every day and walk you to class? or complete your assignments? or clinicals? nope, that was you and YOUR drive. so tap into that *kitten* and keep it movin'. best of luck!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    hard truth - in the current job environment - only applying to 5-6 jobs is barely scratching the surface - there are people who applied dozens of jobs and don't get call backs - I know we want our parents to be loving but sometimes the truth hurts and it sounds like that is what your mom has done

look at al your options
    1) nothing available in hospitals, check out things like home health aids
    2) schools (do they still have "nurses")
    3) traveling nurse programs
    4) see if the hospitals have an emergency pool of nurses they keep for recall
    5) check governement jobs - the fed gov't has a nurse job series code (0601 is the OPM code)
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited March 2017
    As a nurse you'll have to take crap from lots of suffering or just plain insufferable folks with a smile. Think of your mom as good practice!

I'm guessing your school and your program have support available for nursing graduates seeking jobs -- take advantage of that support and get assistance with your job search.

Congratulations and good luck!
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Only 5-6? That could be part of the problem. I worked with my university's Career Services office to proof my resume and cover letters. I applied to 100 places and only heard back from 10. I applied from California to Maine - think I hit 25-30 states.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Stick to people in your field for career advice.
  • dec056
    Just would like to update everyone that I got my first job offer yesterday and accepted!
  • dec056
    hard truth - in the current job environment - only applying to 5-6 jobs is barely scratching the surface - there are people who applied dozens of jobs and don't get call backs - I know we want our parents to be loving but sometimes the truth hurts and it sounds like that is what your mom has done

look at al your options
    1) nothing available in hospitals, check out things like home health aids
    2) schools (do they still have "nurses")
    3) traveling nurse programs
    4) see if the hospitals have an emergency pool of nurses they keep for recall
    5) check governement jobs - the fed gov't has a nurse job series code (0601 is the OPM code)

Yes, some schools do still have school nurses. They are real nurses. However, I live in a rural area and sometimes an entire school district will only have one nurse that has to go to all of the schools and I don't know of any private schools around that have one. It seems like it's starting to become a thing of the past, which is sad.